1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door locks only by hand, unlocks OK otherwise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mikepaul, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Has anyone experienced a door that unlocks when you use the fob or the driver side door switch, but refuses to lock unless you manually lock it? That's my front passenger door right now.

I'm assuming there's an actuator that broke, but if someone knows what such a repair costs I can decide how long to put it off. First thing I'm doing tomorrow is reprogramming the fob not to unlock all doors when I open the driver's door, to lessen the chance I'll forget that the door won't relock later.

At least it waited a year since the last couple of not-cheap repairs, but those multiple beeps I've been experiencing for quite a while now may be related to this...

2. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How are you manually locking it - the inside door handle lever, or the black button by the outside door handle?

Does the key fob light blink when you press buttons? - if not, replace the battery.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's an exploded parts diagram of the front passenger door.
    Champion ToyotaWorld

Looks like you may need #11 on the list, the "lock assembly right" which has an MSRP of $291. If that part needs to be replaced your total repair invoice will probably be around $400 (unless the part can be lubricated instead of replaced.)

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OUCH! It unlocks just fine for now, and shudders a bit but doesn't lock while the other locks do their power-thing. I've been reaching over and throwing the inside lever since I noticed the problem.

I guess it'll be a while before the repair gets done, and since there's no such thing as a cheap estimate at my dealer, I'll wait until I can't USE the door...

Thanks...

5. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I suppose one could get the part from salvage cheaply...

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yea, but then I'd have to check around for someone who'd install in-hand parts rather than the ones they got from their approved source. And I'd worry that the used parts were just as bad as MY used ones.

With just about 5 more years to go before I order my 2014 Prius, I'm looking for as few hassles as possible. I've reprogrammed the car to only open the driver door again, to lessen the wear on the front passnger lock. When it actually fails, I'll hassle with it again...

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can understand and that is the way I usually go. The decisive point to me would be whether or not the mechanism of that model had a history of failure after a few years. If so then only a new part will do. If not, then a salvage part would not be a problem if you can do the change yourself.

Sometimes when you get new parts or kits, problem pieces have been fixed. That happened on my deceased F-150 with replacment gear sets for the automatic windows, the nylon gears were failing and the replacements were metal. Ford also changed materials on the alternator wiring harness as the plastic they used couldn't stand the engine heat, became brittle and failed posing a fire hazard. Had to solder the new one in when I chucked the dying alternator. Lots of poor materials/design choices on that vehicle. Of course, Toyota made some poor choices on my Tundra with plastic parts like the AC knob and the rear window hinges.

8. florachristi

florachristi New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Sometimes it happens i use remote system suddenly it works manually by hand opening them and locking it... it cos of some particles jammed in sode of the door or the lock problem.......

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had been getting odd multiple beeps when unlocking the car for months now, and when I was testing the bad lock it did beep in a funny way when the door didn't lock. I haven't played with it since last weekend but when I get the chance I'll exercise it to see if it is something like dirt...

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK, several weeks later, it is either dirt making the lock stick or a funny part failure that works for a while after you manually move the lock with your thumb a few times.

So does anyone know of a way to properly lubricate the lock without disassembling the door panel? I don't want to put anything liquid (like oil I guess) in there without some positive acecdote about it not causing any damage...

11. jfidler

jfidler New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    My 2003 has same problem... At first I noticed that the locks would unlock as I walked away after using key fob to lock. This was very unnerveing because I don't know how long this had been happening. The electric solenoid would trigger with key fob but the mechanism would only move about half way then return to unlock position. For a while I could unlock the car but not lock it with key fob, then as the mechanism became more worn it would neither lock nor unlock the drivers door. The other 3 doors still work fine. Methinks it feels like a worn out clevis pin and corrosponding hole at linkage pivot points(not enough moly grease). Sometime soon I will take the time to remove the door panel and repair this little detail. Afterwards I will give full report unless someone else does before me...

12. cjpopp

cjpopp New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I've had the lock problems for awhile now. Last year, I got the "stuttering lock" on the Front Passenger door. Since then, it's not worked. The driver's side does not respond to auto-lock - must manually lock it with the button on the door or by using the key in the lock.

Last week, the rear drivers side door started to be unresponsive when unlocking via FOB or auto lock.

So... what the heck? I've read a lot of problems with the locks - is it a problem with the Prius? Is there any recalls or notices out there about this problem?

13. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    does anyone have instructions on how to disassemble the door panel?

14. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm now thinking 'short' in the passenger door.

It was really rainy on Saturday night, and Sunday while driving around town the passenger door worked just as expected. UNTIL the door dried out and then the lock started only unlocking again, then on Monday it wouldn't even unlock except by hand. Since I don't do a lot of passenger door opening I haven't checked today for a return to the New Normal of just unlocking.

So in what looks like an intact door, where can water be getting in and hitting wires that control the lock? Would I be able to use the door disassembly instructions requested above to see a problem, or is there a risk of wrecking the door just to look? At 85,500 miles and no extended warranty I figure a look on my own might be worth it...

Lunchtime test has it locking AND unlocking, even if just for a while...

15. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm in the same boat now after 53,000 miles myself. First my drivers side door would only respond to the lock command and not the unlock via FOB and pressing the button inside the car

Now 2000 miles later i get the half lock and then nothing when I hit the lock button. This is a pain to do manually b/c its so hard to remove the key from the FOB when your used to just using SKS.

I called a few dealers and the general consensus is about $110 in a diagnostic fee that would go towards any part that needed to be replaced. However if it is the actuator one dealer did mention that itd be a 300$ part.

I've opened the door panel and played around some but cant seem to find the problem. Such a pain in the nice person b/c its not serious enough to pay 300+ for but it sucks to have to deal with it.

16. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yea, and even the 'short' idea isn't consistent with being wet or not. The lock will open and close like a champ one minute, then refuses to move either way the next.

Bad actuator? It'd have to be near-death to be doing this random stuff. When it dies, and doesn't unlock or lock unless moved manually, I'll be a lot happier. THEN I can just manually move it as needed rather than go lock it after opening the hatch.

Unless some long-forgotten trick allows me to JUST open the hatch when I open the hatch?...

17. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    so I finally gave in and called the dealership to schedule an appointment only to find out that for electrical issues I have to bring the car in during the week.

as if the problem wasnt annoying enough now i have to take time off of from work

18. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    so my problem seems to be solved

I say this with a bit of hesitation b/c its only been 3 days since I "fixed it". All I did was excercise the lock. I put my real key in the door and locked unlocked about 30 times or so and now its back to working fine...

weird, im so glad i didnt spend 300 bucks on this only to realize there is something blocking the lock.

19. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't recall any exercise done so far being a lot of help to the passenger door lock, and there's no keyhole over there. It'll die someday and then I'll work on it...