1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door rubbing against dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mikepaul, May 19, 2004.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe this has been mentioned here, maybe not. This was pointed out in the 2G Yahoo group.

My driver-side door is rubbing against the dash, leaving small scrape marks on both. The passenger-side door doesn't rub.

I can easily slide a folder-over piece of paper between the passenger's door and the dash, while an unfolded single piece of paper won't fit all the way between the driver's door and the dash.

Has anyone else noticed the scrapes? Done anything about it?

Has anyone needed to have the driver's door reseated, and can say that no bad things happened when it was adjusted?...

2. Michael Maddox

Michael Maddox New Member

Mine does it, too. Noticed it the other day. I doubt it's a situation where the door should be re-mounted--that sounds MUCH more likely to make weirder, worse things happen.

3. WirelessToy

WirelessToy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I see the same issue on my Prii but would be rather hesitant to have the dealer try to remedy the alignment. Now if it starts making strange noises I might change my mind.

4. siai

siai Junior Member

I would bet you most cars have this problem. I noticed the interference on the drivers door soon after delivery last fall. My dealer checked the other Prius' he had, and all had the same problem on the drivers door. (I guess nowadays the dealer won't have others on the lot to check) He told me Toyota was made aware of the problem, but I haven't followed up on it. The area isn't visible when the door is closed and it has only made a small mark on the trim to date. I think that if you tried to adjust the panel to get some clearance between the door and the instrument panel, you might cause a rattle instead of eliminating one.

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mine rubs on both sides about equally. I suppose that's about the best that can be hoped for.

6. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Couldn't the dealer, under warranty, fix the problem. Maybe the doors aren't aligned correctly and should be fixed.

7. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just noticed the same thing on my driver's side door yesterday afternoon.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I HOPE so. A rub becomes a scratch becomes a hole becomes a...

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That does sound distressing. Mine, built March 2004, have about 5mm gaps on both sides when closed.