1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door Sensor problem ...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by doctorman, Oct 14, 2009.

1. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yet another problem with the lovely Prius...

the center pole and rocker on the driver side was changed due to accident and I noticed that the car does not feel the door so to speak
    the car thinks the door is always closed

checked the switch and saw that it was not connected to the cable and it was broken a bit. the plastic part behind it that keeps the cable plugged in was broken.

so I attached the cable to the switch and pushed the botton but nothing would happened.

so you know when the car is off and you open the passenger door the light on dashboard shows the door is open and when the door is closed it is off
    but when I open the driver door nothing shows on the dashboard it is as if it is closed...

Since the computer always thinks the door is closed:

1. could be that the car computer automatically always assume that door is closed since the switch was not connected for a long time. meaning after the battery was connected the ECU checked the car and didn't get the signal from the driver door so it is ignored that is why it is not working ??

2. Simply change the door sensor and all will be good.
    but that doesn't make sense since if there is no sensor on right now why does the car thinks that the door is closed?

3. there is an electrical problem with the driver 's door sensor in a computer in the car or maybe even a fuse.. which in that case i really need you guys to help me fix it.

please advise

here is a pic of the door sensor that was posted by hobbit before on forum

[​IMG]

2. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    to answer your #2 point: If the switch is like other cars, it provides a closed circuit to ground when the door is open which turns on the lights etc. When the door is shut the switch is open, and as far as the car is concerned its the same as if the wire is disconnected. I'd try replacing the switch.

1 person likes this.
  3. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hear you
    tried to do it myself but the stupid screw needs a special screwdriver i don't have
    will stop by a repair shop to change it tomorrow.

if you can think of any fuse or other electrical components in charge let me know

thanks

4. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Since I haven't verified this circuit personally on the Prius for your year, I won't tell you to do it. But if you can establish to your satisfaction from seeing the switch in person, that it indeed grounds the wire when the door is open you could ground the wire which goes to the broken switch manually and assure yourself that all the other circuitry is working correctly. As in the door is "open". If that works, you know its the switch and nothing else.

5. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    fixed it
    found the screw driver for it
    opened it
    connected the OLD sensor to the cable and without touching the body of the car pushed the button nothing happened
    then screwed the same old one back to the body of the car and wallah it worked again
    the switch was fine
    last time that we tried it we did not connect it to the body before testing it that is why it looked dead.
    so as any other car I guess prius also uses ground circuit for the door sensor hence there is only ONE cord connects to the sensor
    the sensor is connected to the body of the car and when the door is closed connects the ground to the body and closes the circuit and the light comes on.
    it was kinda cool figuring this out ofcourse with your help
    now I have the extra sensor that I hope the shop I got it from refund me for it hehe

if anyone needs it let me know

Jmack111 likes this.
  6. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Glad to have helped! :)

Jmack111 likes this.
  7. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This fix my problem! of horn going off randomly not fob alarm button. first the car lock driver side stopped locking so I remove actuator assembly take apart the motor cleaned the contact point on the motor and the handle auto unlock stopped workingand soon thereafter random horn honking turn out to be the lock was out of sync. I grab the door handle and the fob light would come on but the door would not unlock and the dome light did not turn on so my fix was removing the door panel completely so the whole wire harness is exposed I'm with the car off disconnect the wire harness on the little box I assume as the frequency controller for unlocking the door. and without touching anything metal sitting in the car with the door closed undo the wire harness for two seconds to that box and the one next to it and reconnect them then door worked fine. if you do have a problem getting the door lock to line up with the lock key assembly use a piece of thread to hold it down on an angle towards the inside of the car then tell the lock assembly towards the outside of the car and push should pop into place you'll have to do it a few times and I also taped the lever that goes into the handle to unlock the door so it doesn't fall down and get turned around I taped it so it stay the same angle saved a lot of time thanks for the tip.... I just did it a different way then removing the screws lazy I guess sorry I guess I don't have permission to post pictures app telling me odd done it lots of times

8. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My problem was the horn alarm was going off randomly and the touch handle unlock sensor was no longer working the button to lock on handle works fine. was not the fobs. Started with a bad actuator. door were not locking so take apart actuator cleaned motor contacts put motor back together reassembled actuator taped actuator arm to the right position just to make my life easier underneath shalf to hold up the same direction as it goes in to the handle then use thread to hold the locking key part down and to the right while moving the actuator tilting it towards the outside of the car to get them to match back together this is when my problem started with the horn to fix it I ended up reading this post then I just unconnected the two cables coming from the lock assembly to the frequency box for two seconds without touching any metal in the car with the door closed and then reinstalling wire and the horn stopped making noise and the door handle started working thank you for the info see the pictures

Letting me send the pictures now. 20190115_172720.jpeg 20190115_172545.jpeg 20190115_172441.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#8 Jmack111, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019