1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

door sill EDGE protection? see pics

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by The Big Sleaze, Jun 19, 2021.

1. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    IMG_20150109_101313[1].jpg
    Paint wore off at edge of door sill. At this rate I'll be like Fred Flintstone just after warranty runs out.

Funny, my other much older used cars don't have this issue. I've got big feet but still. "Door Sill Protectors" even address this because it seems like they "protect" the top but not edge where wear is happening. And $180?!?! LOL.
    Toyota Prius Illuminated Door Sills - PT94247161 | Salinas Toyota, Salinas CA
    Maybe if "Illuminated" also including some extra Security door sensor AND totally lit up the ground for 30ft around the car when opened.

Should I just apply a few layers of 2" wide clear packing tape and replace as needed?

Don't they sell "cut to fit" about 1/16" thick clear material with the right type of self stick backing so will stick to car paint and not come off for 10yrs....and take fairly sharp 90deg needed for sill edge?

I can't be only person with this issue.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah why the eff door sills are optional, and illuminated, and a boatload of $’s, is something to ponder.

ours came with the goofy things, I recall swinging a front door open, thinking “ that’s nice, I guess…”. I assumed they’d come standard on our 2010 CDN touring. Looking through the brochure recently I see nope, optional. Our “new” car had languished on the (indoor) lot, likely for at least 15 months. Maybe someone ordered the sale, then deal fell through. Anyway, no extras on the invoice. :)