1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door to Door Solicitation

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 30 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]432786[/snapback]</div>
    'Checkbook environmentalist'?
    Is that a bad thing? :huh:

Isn't that the same thing a 'putting your money were your mouth is' ?

If it is a bad thing, how bad?

Which is worse, 'checkbook environmentalists' or Hollywood environmental activists who fly around in private jets, lecture others about global warming . . . then absolving their transgressions [yeah, right :rolleyes: ] by purchasing carbon offsets? :huh: <_< talk about 'checkbook environmentalists!' geesh! :rolleyes:

Sure, I'm and 'checkbook environmentalist' . . .

Yes, I purchased a Prius. I also changed over all my house light bulbs (except three which can not) to compact fluorescent. All my power yard tools are electric. I installed a whole house fan and rarely use the central A/C. I made sure to purchase an Energy Star refrigerator. I installed extra house insulation, weatherstripping, and glass storm doors (and I live in a Mediterranean weather climate. :mellow: ). I installed low flow shower heads. And just last month, I replaced an old energy and water hog washer and dryer with the most efficient models on the market.

. . . so yeah, I'm a 'checkbook environmentalist' and proud of it.

But besides opening my wallet, I recycle everything I can . . . and I don't take the recycle and garbage containers to the curb for pick-up until they are full - just so those smog belching trucks don't have to stop as often. In winter I keep the thermometer at 64 degrees during the day when I am home alone, and wear thick socks, sweatshirts and pants to keep comfortable. I planted seven trees on my property, and have planted hundreds more while volunteering with the Sacramento Tree Foundation. I even go as far as placing a brick in the toilet tank and pick up trash any time I go hiking, beach combing, scuba diving, rafting, kayaking, etc, etc.

I do all that . . . but I refuse to use only one square of toilet paper per visit, and I don't drink the Cool-Aid just because and environmental group says it tastes great. There have been plenty of times where I thought their choice sucked.. . . ie . . . being anti nuclear power left the other option open, coal. <_< So no thanks, I'll spend my dollars to help the environment where I see it doing best. Girl Scout cookies on the other hand? How can anyone say no?

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 30 2007, 07:44 PM) [snapback]432886[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I'm an equal opportunity annoyer. No longer having fun with telemarketers ALMOST makes me regret signing up for the do-not-call list. And I used to have tons of fun with spammers before they became overwhelming.

3. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    S.P.E. --I'd say with those credentials, you're much more than a "checkbook environmentalist." You sound more like a practicing environmentalist. Keep up the good works.