1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door won't stay open - Worn out door check - Fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bshef, Jun 23, 2020.

1. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hope this will be a good /affordable DIY fix for Drivers door on my 05 that keeps closing on my leg.
    The part in question is apparently called "door check" (see Video for explaination)
    Toyota wants $80
    Honda Part $20 (see attached for part # specific to drivers side only)
    Waiting for part to arrive.... I'll report back after the install with outcome!

Attached Files:

#1 bshef, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Please check the length. Or how much it allows the door to open. If it's slightly shorter the door won't open as much which isn't a big deal but if it's loner the door will open too much and can cause real problems.

bshef likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is awesome, I need one for my driver's door. Please keep us updated on how your installation goes

amsciubay likes this.
  4. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ..Good News.....$20 Honda part fits !!
    Hardest bit process was turning it just right to get thru the small access hole in the door panel.
    This part # below is specifically for the Drivers Door.
    [​IMG]

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Since you installed it already you could check how far the door opens if the stock one is still on the passenger door you can compare the opening to it. Should be pretty easy measure distance from stricter to latch on fully opened door.

Getting the part in and out is very easy after you've done it couple of times. I took them all out and in just to make dent on them to get them a bit tighter.

bshef likes this.
  6. ridgemcghee

ridgemcghee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Here was my solution. Since the door check has a metal core, I just bent it a little. Seems to work.
    I took the door panel off, removed the door check and bent the end of door check up 25-30 degrees (see pic 1). Depending on how worn your door check is, you may need to bend less or more.
    Now, the door stays open (when I open it all the way) even with a slight crown in the street (see pic 2). Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 3.51.18 PM.png IMG_20201031_131459.jpg

ColoradoCrow and SFO like this.
  7. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Toyota Sienna van of the same years works as well. Paid $35 for one on ebay. Holds it tight even on hills. But it does come with threaded studs instead of using bolts. So you'll need nuts with this part.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five