1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Doors lock when you walk away w/ Smart Key??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by spencer999, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's a time delay. I open the door, hit the lock on the inside handle. Then close the door. Then I grab the outside handle to test if it's locked. It is. I don't know what the delay is until it unlocks again.

You've got some big ones. I'd be afraid it wasn't locked. Things don't always work like they're supposed to. There's been a time or two my smart key didn't work for no apparent reason. That's OK trying to unlock it, but I wouldn't want my car accidentally unlocked for a thief or vandal or a vindictive SUV owner.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i rather have the option to not lock the doors. there are plenty of times i leave the vehicle in a place i dont lock the doors. to me pushing a button to lock it when i close the doors is fine with me

3. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry, that confused me a bit...

are you saying that there's a dealer-settable option that'll lock the doors automatically after you leave the car (whether it's distance or time -triggered, i don't care, but i'd really like that! my wife's 98 Camry is smart enough to lock itself if we forget, and not finding that on the Prius really disappointed me!

4. CHART

CHART Member

I am also interested in auto-lock and read some information on it sometime this summer. I don't remeber where I got this and I'm not 100% sure it is for the new Prius, but I'm pretty sure it is.

In the article that I read (and sorry, I can't find it anymore) they implied that the auto lock feature is tied to the alarm and is called "Passive Mode." When you close the door and take the fob with you, the car alarms (and locks) itself.

If it works, it sounds pretty cool to me.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yup, that's the list.

Have them look on page 01-33 in the repair manual.

6. tntna

tntna New Member

What is this? Is it documented anywhere? My salesman didn't tell me about it, but I bought the car in another state. Valid at any Toyota dealership?

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well folks, I had the proceedure done.

Bad news, it doesn't lock the doors. Because of that, it is downright annoying! When I got home that evening, I went to get my mail, as I usually do, and didn't lock my car as I usually don't when it is in the garage. I had to get something from the cargo area or back seat. Since it is unlocked, just opened the door, not thinking the alarm was armed.
    Well, about 15-30 seconds later, it was blaring. Had to fumble for my FOB to turn it off. I have SKS, I don't want to fumble for my FOB.

The service manager didn't want to cover it under the 'adjustment' period, as it isn't a 'problem'. Well, then what's the difference between the 3/36K bumper-bumper warantee and the adjustment period? If you ask me, an adjustment item is things that would not come under warrantee, but would be reasonable to make a client happy about his car.
    They were supposed to advise me on the cost, but the tech didn't realize this, and it took him 2 hours to do it. Apparently setting the customizable functions through the tool requires a complete reprogramming, such as is done for the SSC 40D. This sounds ridiculous just to do settings. He showed me the page in the repair manual describing the settings, yet doesn't say how to do them. I scanned the entire manual, and didn't find how to change them either. In reading that chapter, I did discover that the repair manual does explicitly state that passive mode doesn't lock the car. There is also a dance to set it to passive or active (Doh!).
    Since he spent 2 hrs on it, he asked if I would pay $30. I did, even though I wasn't obligated to do so.

Anyway, as an asside, turns out not all 2004 Toyotas need the brake light switch. Mine didn't, nor did it need the SSC 40D reprogramming.

I'll post the dance once I isolate it from the PDF, in case anyone else wants to give it a try.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Here is the dance as promised, though I don't recommend it until there is a way to get it to lock the doors. Heck, it doesn't even tell you it's armed!

9. tag

tag Senior Member

Thanks for the update, DanMan. Oh well......

10. tntna

tntna New Member

BUMMER.... how unfortunate!!! You'd think self locking doors would be a given since there is the opposite functionality of self unlocking. Maybe there's a reason in Japan they wouldn't want this functionality.

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Service manager figured it was to prevent locking the keys in the car. Without SKS, I guess that is possible, but not as likely with SKS (there are some places in the car that would not detect the FOB).

I may be able to devise something out of the immobilizer signal. If I could decode the BEAN, then I most likely could. Anyone know where I can get detailed info on the BEAN protocol?

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

set the alarm and not lock the doors! crap that's just stupid. And the dance is even dumber, what's wrong with toggle on toggle off? Come on Toyota your programmers can do a lot better than that!

13. Frank Hudon

What's wrong with having the computer recognize that you have shut off the car, then when the SKS transciver no longer gets a reply it locks the doors and sets the alarm, on the Non SKS cars when the key fob is no longer in the slot and the door/doors close 30 seconds later the doors lock and the alarm sets.

14. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would rather have a loud alarm and non damaged doors then, damaged doors and an a siren that's telling me my car is being hurt...

15. Frank Hudon

your insurance company wouldn't like to hear that analogy. What happens when they try it a second time and decide to slash up your seats and dash? you'll be paying for the whole repair instead of the deductable on you insurance

16. Ms. Piggy

Ms. Piggy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"58380)</div>
    I don't understand the logic there. I would think that most non-professional thieves would just take off once the alarm went off and wouldn't bother to hang around to hack up the car. The pros would figure out how to disable the alarm and take what they came for. In either case, I don't see how this would affect the insurance deductible, particularly if the passive alarm was set by the car itself.

17. Frank Hudon

around here they tend to vandalize your vehicle and if your insurance company finds out you don't lock you vehicle they'll cancell your insurance or disallow your claim for theft. Most times if your car is locked and apparently alarmed they just walk on by, unless you've p**sed them off whereby they vandalize it. Key the paint, break your tail lights, piss in your heater vent at the base of the windshield,etc, etc. Leave nothing in your vehicle, leave the ash tray open so they can see there is no money in there etc. Use a steering lock on the wheel, preferably one that covers the air bag assy as they are favourite targets as they are easily sold to back alley body shops. Its' a war, you against them, and you have to win

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    im sorry but i do not want automatically locking doors. i want the option to not have to give someone my keys just so they can open the doors.

as far as being in a public place. i never leave the car unlocked and anyone who does deserves to suffer the consequences.

for me that is something that if i want it bad enough, i take steps to insure that it happens. i have not been late to work one time in years. that is because i want to be on time and take steps to insure that it happens.

as for locking my car when i need to. the procedure for doing so is one of the easiest things in my life and i like the procedure just the way it is. right now, there are more than a few places i go where i do not lock my car while im there. that is because i choose to not lock the car.

19. Frank Hudon

and if it was locked your smart key would let you unlock it just like you normally do.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry... i have a dumb key