1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dorman battery appears to have failed after 3 months

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bill S., Nov 14, 2015.

1. Bill S.

Bill S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I got a Dorman battery about 3 months ago (ordered 8/7, waited just less than two weeks as they were back ordered) and now I have the dreaded triangle of death again and the battery goes from discharged to charged quickly. I was going to work and the triangle came on immediately so I turned around and got in the trusty Acura. Anyway, I go to O'Reilleys and get the codes. P0A80. Replace hybrid battery. I emailed Dorman and they tell me I need additional information. Additional code info is not available on their scanner so I guess I have to go to the garage and have them scan it. I have a new yellow top battery so I seriously doubt that will be an issue.

Are these re man batteries an issue? I'm seriously considering selling it and buying a 4 cylinder accord with gears. I'll miss the gas mileage but doing the dance and paying for diagnostic for a 3 month old battery is somewhat annoying. The guys at Dorman weren't overly sympathetic or friendly. (How about saying something like "we're sorry you are having issues, we will just need a little more information before we send a return authorization. We apologize for the inconvenience" or something to that effect). They were cooperative and I explained that I would be submitting the receipt for the diagnostic as well. The man at Dorman stated that the retailer would have to submit the labor claim. Interesting, the retailer isn't the one getting the bill from the garage and they aren't taking it to a shop. They are a dealer but they don't do the repairs.

Are these batteries having issues? I don't like the song and dance you have to go through to get a return authorization and I sure as hell don't want to get stranded if this is going to happen again when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Has anyone else had any experience with the Dorman batteries? Should I replace this battery and sell this thing? It's an 07 with 156k. I bought it with 146k with a bad battery. It's my first hybrid. I usually drive Japanese cars, ALWAYS with a manual transmission. They seem to last and on't give trouble if you maintain them. I do have an old Mercedes 300 diesel coupe but that's a project toy.

dfpineau likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! yes, remanufactured batteries are a huge issue. doorman is one of the better ones, but it's impossible to replace a few bad cells, and know how long the other 200 are going to last. your best bet is to get the warranty done and move on. we are coming to realize that if you don't want to diy cell replacement (cheap, but labor intensive) you're better off with a new oem battery for about 2 grande. all the best!(y)

3. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've not installed a lot of Dorman batteries, but I've not heard of any problems on the few that I've put in. Of the dozen or so that I've rebuilt, I've only had 1 early failure. It was an oversight on my part when I combined two packs for a gen 1 car. I believe it is usually a cost-effective option if you don't want to DIY.

4. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wait a min I thought the dorman and napa batteries were remanufactured by replacing all modules with equivalent kind of cells.
    I didn't think they were playing the same game as some peeps out there but fixing the batteries by replacing some cells :(
    I thought they just used new modules from some chinese manufacturer instead of the original panasonic yikes.
    that is both sad and bad :....-(
    terramir

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope, sorry. replacing all the cells would bring the cost too close to a new oem.

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The chances are, no new cells were installed, just charged used cells, I agree with bisco, just pony up the cash for a new battery and enjoy the next 150,000 miles (or get a non-hybrid)

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Dorman bought the ReInVolt business from Dave Taylor (Taylor Automotive : Automotive Service and Maintenance in Sanford, NC). I have one of Dave's ReInVolt batteries in my 2004 Prius which was installed in April, 2011 at 195k miles. My Prius is now at 289k miles and the ReInVolt is still performing well 4.5 years and 94k miles later.

Dave's process was to fully test and balance large numbers of used, low mileage, salvaged modules and select a set that were well matched to provide a reliable re-manufactured battery. Dave also replaced the "bus bars" with nickel plated ones to avoid future corrosion problems. His experience with Prius (HSD) and Honda (IMA) batteries showed that a three year warranty was justified which Dorman now uses to back up their batteries.

Dorman is a high volume supplier of these batteries and their workmanship may not be up to Dave's level, so just get a warranty replacement and odds are in your favor that your problem will be resolved.

JeffD

8. Bill S.

Bill S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    "so just get a warranty replacement and odds are in your favor that your problem will be resolved"

That's the plan once I get the additional codes. As I work a lot, that will be a challenge. I will also need to pay for the service of having the codes read. I don't think the warranty will be an issue. My question is, have these batteries been reliable? Is this a fluke?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

I was interested in ReInvolt, browsed the site extensively when our Civic Hybrid's battery was failing. It was kinda disconcerting when he was bought out by Dorman, seems a "bad karma" move all around.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dorman is still the best refurbished battery out there. Where else can you get a nationwide 3 year warranty from a reputable company?

11. Bill S.

Bill S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Interesting replies. One has said they have had good luck, one has said they have issues. I understand the warranty, my question is reliability. If it goes out on a regular basis, the warranty is nice but still consumes my time and energy.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it seems to me that doorman should require their dealers to be able to read correct codes for warranty service.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, we don't have a track record here for doorman, just a few users experiences. and they likely won't release the failure rate.

14. Bill S.

Bill S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Oh, I agree on the code reading. Autozone, Advance, and O'Reilley's can't read the codes with their readers. I have to go to someone with a professional grade diagnostic machine.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't make sense if they sell the battery.

it would be cheaper to buy the mini vci and check it yourself.

16. jetpack

jetpack New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Folks,
    I'm going to chime on on this. My wife's 2007 stopped working at 140,000 miles and registered a bad hybrid battery error in February this year (2015). I bought a Dorman battery and everything seemed pretty good for 7 months, Then I started having the same problems I had with the original traction battery (fast swings from blue SOC down to purple, then up to green all in a few miles, sluggishness, weird lurching at stop signs when the engine would fire up, etc.). As time went by it eventually refused to start again and the dash and touchscreen lit up like a Christmas tree. I had the codes read at Advanced and they said it was the hybrid battery again.

They shipped a replacement battery and I installed that. Not paying attention, I forgot to push the orange safety lockout lever down after the install, so I ended up doing an hour or two of troubleshooting to figure out why it wouldn't start. The reason was the lever, of course, but it gave me a chance to test a lot of stuff and as a result, I noticed that the auxiliary battery voltage was pretty close to the lower threshold. I decided to replace that at the same time (half thinking that may have been the problem all along). This is all a long way of saying that I replaced both batteries and hoped I was done with all the fear and uncertainty. At this point my wife wants to sell the car and doesn't trust it.

The second Dorman battery is 6 weeks old at this point and problems are appearing again (the car is up to 158,000 miles now). It hasn't failed yet, but I'm seeing ominous signs. Thursday my wife called and said it wouldn't start. No errors or warning lights, just wouldn't start. After taking the key out a few times and retrying it started. Later that evening I got in it to go somewhere and the SOC was on purple bars as soon as it started. This was after my wife had driven it for 45 minutes of mixed highway side road driving. It should have been high in the blue bars. Yesterday I drove about 120 miles and noticed that it went straight to all but one green bar and stayed there for the whole drive, regardless of hills, etc. The display would even show the gas engine charging the battery when I was driving up hills (and could have used the electric assist) even though the SOC was still in green bars. My previous experience makes me think that a well-functioning drive system has the SOC in blue bars almost all of the time except after a long downhill coast, etc. I worry about overcharging.

Are there charging components or controllers in the Prius that could be failing and causing battery problems/damage? Perhaps I'm throwing my time and money at the wrong problem? I've checked the battery cooling fan and it's running well and creating a pretty good flow of air from the exhaust duct. I can't afford to invest a of of time and money into this if the repairs are going to be over $1000. Would I be better served at this point to bring it to a dealer for a thorough diagnostic? I understand that the readers at Advanced and other shops are way too basic for full diagnosis.

Thanks!

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps you need a reading of trouble codes, instead of guessing. you sound skilled enough to command a mini vci.

interesting that they sent you a new battery based on advanced code reader, but denied the o/p.

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it's still your refurbished HV battery causing issues. If it fails again (dash lights up again), then ask for another replacement......It's quite common to see these issues with refurbished batteries......no 2 are alike

19. jetpack

jetpack New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was surprised too. I expected they would try and blame it on another cause rather than the battery. I suspect it's because the store manager is an acquaintance. I'm sure a mini vci is in order but I'm trying to get out of the car fixing business (apparently to no avail) ;-)

bisco likes this.
  20. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A battery fan running all the time is a sign of a failing battery.

Brad