1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dorman Battery Warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TampaPrius.com, Aug 28, 2017.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Don't know. Most dorman buyers who report their troubles here are long past the 30 day window. Did you buy it through a local auto parts store? If so, they may still have it waiting shipment.

Where are you in Texas?

2. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, if I was replacing a tire with a used one my first priority would be to match the tread! LOL. That's why the paint jobs and the decals on these used batteries are so important. No real need to paint such a part. It's all marketing.

3. Overworked9000

Overworked9000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They still had it and I got a refund.

I would have never done that had I not seen this thread.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Awesome.

Please see if this option will help you out: Texas Prius Battery Replacement

Matt is (y)

Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Reliable Rebuild" is an oxymoron in this space. It always has been and always will be a band-aid. A new battery is the best choice, and there are people now (like me) that are starting to offer new non-Toyota batteries. Service the same space at a lower cost, and you still have your core.

Right now there are at least 3 companies I know of making new batteries of different designs, 1 prismatic and 2 cylindrical. The prismatics to replace the originals are terrible. The cylindricals from two companies have been sort of hit or miss, trending on the miss side. Within this year, there will be a fourth option, the third cylindrical option, mine. It will match up with the original very well (and my testing shows even better). I have made lots of custom batteries over the years for all sorts of products from large industrial projects to small consumer devices that you can buy in BestBuy and lots that are on Amazon, etc. 2 year 40k km warranty (2 year/ ~25k mile).

I really did expect more from Dorman though. I also recommended them in the past having heard all the glowing reviews. This is the first one I have seen with such terrible QA, but I am sure it's not the only one. The scary part is how many that QA inspector let slip past them on whatever terrible day they were having that were good enough to work, but still have exposed wiring and melted connectors...

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well they were decent in the beginning (especially warranty) but I think this shows that the aging pool of modules is having a huge affect now. Besides the shoddy workmanship shown here, I assume these packs are sitting in area distribution warehouses going bad instead of periodically charging. Just a guess.

We've been using a used tire analogy and trying to find four with all the same tread depth can get you a few more miles. Except the analogy needs to be amended that there are no more tires of the correct size coming into the pool so the ones left to choose from are increasingly more and more bald.

Merkey likes this.
  7. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Doug.

I'll add one of my recent Dorman experiences (there have been a few). A local Prius owner purchased a Dorman battery from Rock Auto and it failed after 10 months. Rock Auto couldn't get a Dorman battery to send him as a replacement so they gave him a full refund for the original purchase plus they got him a $1000 back from Dorman for the core battery that he gave up 10 months earlier.

We put a new Toyota battery in his car and he paid an extra $500 because he didn't have a core battery anymore. After everything was said and done and he applied the $1000 from Dorman it cost him right around $2000 for the new battery and the car was fixed right. What really impressed me about this was the way Rock Auto went above and beyond to take care of this guy, definitely a great company to do business with.

Matt

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is amazing.

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see the aftermath, but I'm trying to figure out how it got to this point?
    Are you saying this is a new purchase and when the crate was opened this is how it arrived?

If it is from 2016 it is still under warranty so why was it opened up?

What is the back story here?

Also, if you purchase a Dorman battery, if it is replaced, the clock resets for the warranty.
    On the flip side though, if you are even a month out of warranty, you will not get a replacement under warranty.

As far as Rock Auto... hmmm... a while back one of my customers had problems with RockAuto and the pack he bought from them. The warranty issue had to do with RockAuto being the seller, not with the product itself. Or some such thing. I remember that it was a huge hassle for the customer and I advised future customers not to buy through RockAuto. Maybe some had good experiences with Rock Auto, but not my guy.

Merkey and m.wynn like this.
  10. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    IDK rebuilt is rebuilt no mater if you buy a dorman or do it yourself for $50.
    they can last a month or over a year like my current rebuilt pack I did myself..
    theres no reason to drop thousands on a new battery when so many other expensive repairs can kill the value of the car at any time..
    the warranty is meaningless if you have to pay labor over and over then you have also lost your core that they quickly rebuild and sell to someone else.. I doubt their rebuilding process is any different then what I did here at home..

strawbrad likes this.
  11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone try these batteries yet?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall ever having heard of them.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    advanced auto $1,677. vs $2,200. new?

$2,200. on amazon!:eek: maybe the advanced auto wasn't for prius.

then again, amazon wants $2,300. for a dorman.:cool:

m.wynn likes this.
  14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Cardone has been offering remanufactured automotive parts for years. I've used their reman power steering pumps.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, i meant never heard of anyone here putting in one of there batteries.

16. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cardone is no better or worse than Dorman or any other major HV pack "remanufacturer".

Refurbished, rebuilt, re-whatever - they're all garbage compared to a brand new.pack.

Not everyone can afford a new pack so some owners must default to the inferior option of a rebuilt one
    and all the misery that may entail. What a shame.

johnjohnchu, m.wynn and JC91006 like this.
  17. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey, you've got to pay for the sweet, rattle can paint jobs covering those carefully matched and balanced Gen 1 modules....:rolleyes:

18. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cardone and Dorman are major aftermarket suppliers. Go into most auto stores and you will see aisles of Dorman parts for example.

If people can afford a new pack, they should do it.

But if they choose to go the rebuild route, they should use a local well-established supplier, or large well-known supplier like Dorman that has a strong warranty.

I regularly install Dorman packs and have used them locally as well as had them shipped to customers across the country.

Whenever there has been a problem Dorman has always stepped up to the plate. Now maybe this is because I do so much business with them, but I like to believe they handle it the same for all customers.

I think I may have installed a Cardone at some point. Their rep called on me again last week.

As others have said, I would imagine their quality is similar to Dorman given they are big boys in the aftermarket supply space.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    it is an incredible color its a shame to cover it with all that pesky plastic and carpet
    wasn't there a company that had neon green battery pack?

20. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yup, greentecauto.

upload_2017-9-1_8-15-49.png

How about cutting large openings in the case, fill in with plexiglass, and install some sick LED lighting inside? Make it flash and change color with the jams. :cool: