1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

double din install power wires to deck touched and now prius has no power

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Brandy Sosa, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Brandy Sosa

Brandy Sosa New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    so ive had an aftermarket stereo system installed in my 2006 prius which i had wired from stock myself it has had a single din, amp and sub and had been working flawlessly for over a year now. i decided to upgrade and put in a double din dvd deck. i have the wiring harness and i just bought this deck used so i just wanted to make sure that it worked before i officially put all of the speaker wires and everything else together and foolishly instead of connecting the positive and negative wires to my battery to test it out i connected just the black and then red and yellow wires together from the wiring harness of my car to the wirung harness on the deck to check it but didnt put tape or a connector that coved the live wire. once i attached the wiring harness to the car somehow the wires must have touched, at least i think so. there was a pop and then all the power in my vehicle went out which includes the inside lights, dash lights, power windows, door locks, everything that requires power including the push start so that means i cannot start my vehicle! the brake lights still work. i have checked what i believe to be every fuse and the voltage of each of those fuses, i have stried to jump start it from the back amd front, i have checked the battery and that is fine. i put the whole stereo system baclk together to stock just to rule out that problem in moving forward to get it figured out. does anyone know about this or what i can do to fix it? could it be an ECU? ive looked a .ot nline, called car audio places and have a knowledable mechanic friend that is stumped. this vehicle is all i have, my lifeline for me and my daughter. please help[!!!

2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you checked the fuses yet?

What voltage does the "12V" battery have at the battery posts?

What voltage does the "12V" battery have at the jump point underhood?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Almost certainly a blown fuse.

There are 2 fuse panels, one under the hood and the other inside the cabin in front of the driver's left knee, behind a pop cover.

It is not always easy to visually check these fuses, best to use a meter.

4. Brandy Sosa

Brandy Sosa New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ahd a friend check everything and he said he did check it all and he did it with a meter he checked every little fuse and the batteries but im going to do it myself just so I know and i will get back to you. Im just hoping it didn't fry something major and I cant find any info on this

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed.

The three fuses to check would be: 15A DOME, 7.5A ACC, and 7.5A PANEL. Check all three fuses by removing each and measuring continuity with an ohmmeter.

Also, measure voltage from the fuse socket terminals to ground. The DOME fuse should have 12VDC at the socket regardless of whether the car is IG-OFF, IG-ON or READY. You should be able to measure 12VDC from one of the terminals to ground, with the ACC fuse removed, while the car is IG-ON or READY. The PANEL fuse should have 12VDC when the exterior lights are turned on.

Let us know how you get on.

ydpplqbd likes this.