1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Double prius 2004/2008 traction battery swap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by techntrek, Sep 10, 2015.

1. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2008 which is working great. Monitoring the battery levels on the screen it doesn't look any different than it has for the last 7 years.

We were preparing to start looking for a junker, possibly a Prius, since our older daughter will be driving in about 5 months (wow!). Then a 2004 with a dead traction battery dropped in our lap - someone we know that no longer lives in the area but the car is at a local dealer. The usual codes that confirms it is the battery and not something else like the inverter. They don't want to deal with getting it fixed, but I've drilled down to the battery on my 2008 several times (documented elsewhere on this forum - I run a 4500 watt inverter directly from the traction battery for home backup power) and am mechanically inclined so I have no worries swapping out the battery myself. So for $400 for the car and $1300 for a rebuilt battery with gen 3 cells, hopefully we'll be golden. Has 130k miles so I'm hoping to double that for many more years.

But, I don't want to drop the money on the battery until I'm certain that is the only problem. So, I've decided to swap my 2008 battery into the 2004 to see what happens. If I still see codes I'll have to decide to fix that too or get my money back by reselling it as-is. If it runs I'll leave the 2008 battery in the 2004 and order the rebuilt battery for the 2008.

I'll document my progress - hopefully with no problems - here.

ftl likes this.
  2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Should work--good luck!

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your 2008 car is still under hv battery warranty, I highly suggest you don't swap it out.

You can easily identify if the 2004 has a hv battery issue by reading the codes on the car. No need to swap batteries to find that out.

4. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 2008 crossed over the 150k mark not long ago. Sure Toyota might help - but not necessarily. If it just needs a battery and they don't want to help I'm willing to drop the $1300 to get it moving again. It is all a gamble and I'm willing to roll.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What do you get for $1300?

6. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, just double-checked and it is a bit more. The company I'm looking at (priusrebuilders) charges $1350 plus about $200 for shipping round-trip (new to me, old back to them).

Used gen 3 cells, tested and matched. 1 year/15k warranty. They have a $950 option with gen 2 cells and 6 mos/7500 warranty which I'm not interested in. Or new gen 3 cells for over $2850 and a longer warranty.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You won't get much reliable service with battery rebuilders......or their warranties.

8. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have yet to see much proof of that. Sure there will be some failures, and people tend to post failures online much more than successes.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you would be better off buying a used 3G traction battery and moving the 28 modules from that battery into the battery case of the 2004 - as long as the modules haven't been tampered with.

10. dat2109

dat2109 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Honestly, with the amount of work you are clearly comfortable with doing, you will be best served just getting the dealer 'battery pack' for ~2k ish and installing it yourself. All new cells will hands down be the best for long term reliability and you are only talking a few hundred more on a car you plan to own a while.

krmcg likes this.
  11. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That will mean a lot more work, and would increase the chances of an internal failure (connector, etc). Buying one already swapped out with 3G cells, tested, and warranted, makes more sense for me. Sure, I have the ability to do the technical stuff but real life intrudes with other stuff that needs to get done...

12. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    $650 to $1k more would have some advantages, but since the primary purpose of this car is a learner for my daughter I would prefer to keep the cost down. I won't be happy if I sink that extra money and she totals it 6 months from now. If I was going to be the primary driver it would make more sense.

13. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are adamant about using Prius Rebuilders, I would suggest giving your daughter your known good battery, leaving your vehicle with the Prius Rebuilder pack.
    That way when (if?) if there are issues, you can deal with Prius Rebuilders yourself as opposed to leaving your daughter stranded during the process.

14. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree. From my first post, above:

15. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I forgot to mention yesterday that I towed the car home yesterday afternoon. Luckily it moves even with the error condition so it was easy to load and unload from the tow dolly. The car is just about in the shape I expected - some stains in the interior, 3 of the 4 tires are new (or fairly new), and the plastic cowling is heavily damaged. However, all of the exterior metal is perfect from what I can see.

My street is currently closed (bridge closed) so that gives me a 1 1/2 mile test track with several good hills and turns, with only neighborhood traffic to worry about. I reset the codes by pulling the 12 volt battery lead and on my first lap the traction battery quickly climbed from 1 bar to full bars (usual for this problem) and then entered the error condition again. Reset the codes and it did the same thing in the same spot on an even shorter lap, just as I hit the gas for a big uphill. It ran well before the codes were thrown - then the engine revved higher, there was less power, and the battery fan turned on high (also usual for this problem). So I'm confident the powertrain is good and most likely there is nothing else wrong other than the battery. My only worry is there is a noticeable valve tick.

Next up will be a battery swap with the 2008 to confirm.