Double vision

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-Current)' started by Smithrmark, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Smithrmark

Smithrmark New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good morning Mark.
    I received information back from the technical division at Toyota Canada.
    The double image you are seeing at night time is a result of the Heads Up Display feature your vehicle comes with, reflecting the info onto the windshield. For vehicles that have this feature, the windshield is required to have an additional layer of glass inside it to broadcast the images properly.
    They have confirmed that, when looking out at this section at certain angles, the refraction from the glass can cause the double images you are seeing.
    Unfortunately, they have stated this cannot be corrected on vehicles like yours that are designed with the Heads Up feature, and technically our windshield replacement was not going to correct or change anything.

At this point, they have stated there is nothing more our dealer can do with this concern, as it is a design feature of the vehicle, which we have confirmed on similar vehicles.
    I apologize we cannot do anything further.

iPhone ?

bluespruce likes this.
  2. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Love it... in software lingo, there are never any bugs, only "features". :ROFLMAO:

3. bb4srv

bb4srv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I have HUD but never really noticed ghosting. Now I should check mine prime with HUD. Will let you know.

In the meantime, change the seating angle so it changes the refraction angle see if it helps.

4. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't recall this issue with either of our two HUD equipped PPs. Checked it out last night, and did not notice any issues..

5. Smithrmark

Smithrmark New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not sure what to say been reading up on it. And I can’t find a conclusion to it except when I use the polarized sunglasses it goes away. I going to plan so test drives in other Prius primes and other Toyota products with HUDs to see if they have the same issue.

iPhone ?

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for posting an update and further plans. Mine doesn't have HUD so I can't test anyway.
    I was going to write after reading your posts, that other cars with HUD's might not show the same issues to you when you drive them due to the curve of the windshield and/or your seating position in relation to the windshield in other cars. Than I thought one way that might be helpful, unless you've done this already, changing your seating position in as many directions as possible to see if the reflection(s) go away or at least move to less annoying places.

7. bluespruce

bluespruce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have not noticed double vision but it is interesting information. I love the heads up display on the Prime. It works well for me.