1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

doubled ev range less then $2500 no car modifications

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by novasolar, Sep 18, 2012.

1. novasolar

novasolar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thread is 100 percent accurate take the solar out of the equation and you still have 2 * the range for less than 2500 dollars. yes the batteries are in the back of the car yes it is under the 800 pound weight that Toyota recommend for the car with the driver. my wife drive 12 miles to work roughly between 10.8 and 12 depending on which way she goes at work there was no plug so I didn't attend the range for less than 2500 dollars. for example the gentleman that has to drive 16 miles to work each way would it be economical for him probably I can't see spending an extra 20,000 on a volt. by the way the solar Solaris 75 cents what it was an added bonus I installed for a living. wife still has some room in the back of the car not all of it and to use the backseat when she goes food shopping.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    How about some pictures pretty please!

3. novasolar

novasolar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no where did i say portable solar charger. If you read whole thread i said extende range by 2x for 2500.oo or under. Understand i install solar yes i can charge from both if i choose too but the laymens kit would be ac only which i supplyed. and to the battery expert please provide sum form of papperwork link engeniering link battery link history of liveing off grid (like i did) on chemical energy before calling me liar. at to u i say the high side 10 years what i should of said was 7-10 years at 35-45% dod at 76 degrees far. 750 amp hours bank 250-300 amp hour discharge. average 275 amp hour discharge. pics are coming

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  4. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    novasolar, your first post said you couldn't find a plug and made your own. that would indicate a fixed location charging station. your writing style is a bit challenging to follow so please don't take offense when someone doesn't understand your approach. it is easy for readers to conclude you are trying to sell snakeoil because of your writing style.

5. novasolar

novasolar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. novasolar

novasolar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    haveing a hard time getting pics uploaded do ill pit in avatar for now or if anyone wants ill email the pics to someone that can upload them. meter screen shots inverter batterys connections and so on.

7. I did try to force charge as with the other generations, all it does is use what charge you have.

8. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Curious why you think a volt is an extra 20K.. you've been listening to some odd people. List comparably equipted vehichles the Volt after tax credits is about 2K more than the PiP.
    Here is what car and driver said

If you don't qualify for the credits the difference is larger but I don't think any setting could get to 20K difference.

For the 2K extra I'd much rather have an fully integrated system. (In my case the PiP is still for for sale in mystate and if it was the Volt would likely be net cheaper with the added state tax credit difference. )

9. novasolar

novasolar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They compared a strip down base prius to a 41K volt. Not really "comparable", but even then the differeince includeing all the insurance assumptions and other things is only $11,600, not that close to 20K.

And if you are starting from a base Prius, then you did not double he eletric EV range, as the base prius has no real EV range, just hybrid range. If you double that you still have 0 EV range, just a longer hybrid range.

11. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In case anyone missed this point, the article is comparing a 2011 Volt to a 2011 Prius. No Prius Plug-in in sight here.....

12. novasolar

novasolar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for me the volt even after the tax credit was out of my price i wanted to spend. all people are different in what they need.
    i posted that link to show cost over time, thats the way i budget. my second car choice will be straight ev so i didnt need the volts range. I was turned off by my gm dealers getting real world prices at the dealer which where not the msrp. high demand charge, shipment charge there where a few others. I did like and look at the volt just didnt suit my needs.

13. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am not sure if the suggestion about a gasoline powered generator was serious, but in any case, it would make absolutely no sense. The ICE in the PiP is an incredibly efficient gasoline engine. And you don't even want to think about the emissions from that two-stroke generator engine.

14. vinhboy

vinhboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you use imgur: the simple image sharer and upload the images please? Thanks!

15. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here are the pics Novasolar sent me to share:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vinhboy and fotomoto like this.
  16. vinhboy

vinhboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don't bother Jack, just go to the Enginer website; it's already a product:
    Enginer Portable Power Station | Enginer | Prius Plugin PHEV Conversion Kit with Lithium-Ion | Hybrid

I was considering that or something like a uninterruptible power supply, but I haven't found either to be compelling enough.

18. novasolar

novasolar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that was nice but allmost twice the price.

19. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's an pretty big exaggeration. It costs 40% more, but is a self-contained system and appears to be smaller. If the tax credit is legit, it's only $300 more or 12% more. A far cry from twice the price.

Anyhow, I like the idea, but for me all of these systems are too big which sacrifices too much space when the system is in the car. And they are too heavy, making it difficult to remove when you need all the cargo space. I'm hoping someone will design a system that doesn't require a DC/DC converter, inverter, or battery charger and using high energy density batteries making the system as small as possible.

20. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, not quite. Adding up the AGM solution gets $2500. The Enginer is $3500. For the extra $1000 you get Li vs. AGM, which shaves about 400 lbs off the kit. You also get a smaller integrated solution in a box with a warranty. As i said before, I think the main concern with AGMs will be lifespan. They can last 10 yrs in a solar application. In EVs they typically only last 1-2 yrs. If the Li lasts twice that long it would be $500 cheaper from a cost of ownership perspective.

Anyway, I applaud the idea. Nice out of the box thinking. Not as sure about using it at home with solar (why not just use solar->gridtie inverter->AC->standard charger?), but for a remote recharge its a pretty cool / cost effective solution. For people with the right kind of commute cycle, this would probably give superior results to the standard Enginer kit at the same lower cost. It may even rival the performance of the significantly more expensive PIS kit.

Rob

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.