1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Down to the Rapture

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Beryl Octet, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [​IMG]

2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 31 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]383255[/snapback]</div>
    Lord help us!!!!!! :blink:

3. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is this from the Jehovah's Witnesses? They once gave me a pamplet with something like this on it...without the PhotoShopping, of course.

Lord have mercy, that poor woman who found me working in my yard that day didn't know what she was in for. THAT was a lively debate.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes indeed.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/01/...9919336418.html

Tension between the United States and Iran has risen sharply after President George Bush warned that America would respond "firmly" if Tehran stepped up its reported involvement in violence in Iraq.

The Bush Administration has received a briefing from the Pentagon about a possible air strike on Iran, but debate is continuing among the inner circle about the options.

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 31 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]383285[/snapback]</div>
    The rapture picture is hilarious. Of course, if I was an Iranian leader and heard about W's warning, it would mean very little. That's part of the problem with george's war, he's made us look so stupid and ineffectual that our warnings are meaningless. 'Oh, so george is warning me, huh? Boy, I'm really scared' and everyone around him laughs and laughs...

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Still got the navy. The Stennis is headed towards the Persian Gulf, the Reagan is redeploying already, and various battle groups are being called up or deployments extended (Bataan, Boxer). Certainly seems like we are waving the big stick. Meanwhile, our liberal media is giving us plenty of "Iran is the enemy in Iraq" stories like this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/12/...in2355951.shtml

Massive air strikes coming to an alleged nuclear facility? Perhaps. Then what?

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 31 2007, 11:41 AM) [snapback]383307[/snapback]</div>
    Kind of makes you feel as if you're actually in the story of George Orwell's 1984 doesn't it? Who's the enemy this morning? Presuming that george actually invaded Iraq for a reason he's not imparting on us, could Iran be the real reason? Ostensibly in Iraq to look for WMD and, well by gosh, while we're in the neighborhood...

8. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 31 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]383294[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not laughing. He probably has every intention of trying to attack Iran next as he, and other members of his administration, are going to goad the Iranians into a response that may be considered hostile allowing him the leverage of declaring our attack "defensive". I think he acts in such a fashion, not because he's not trying to do right by us, but because he has a very different set of glasses than the majority of us and they're a very different color. He (and Cheney et al) have been cunning enough to manipulate, censor and contort any government data necessary to get what they want. Which is the very mechanism that provided us with an avenue for our attack on Iraq. Bush is anything but laughable.

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jan 31 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]383358[/snapback]</div>
    I've heard it said when the Iraq war started that he wanted that as an example of democracy in the Middle East, and possibly try to persuade other countries to follow that example, or maybe use force to spread it, such as in Iran. Of course, we're so bogged down in Iraq that it's taking resources from what was the true terrorist threat in Afghanistan, and Iraq is no shining example at all to the surrounding countries. So I don't see us starting another war anytime soon. It took many months of posturing to convince enough people for us to invade Iraq, even though Bush apparently wanted to do it right after 9/11. So I don't think Bush has enough time in office to do anything big in Iran, particularly with a congress that wants to get us out of Iraq. Of course, he could still lob some missiles at their nuclear research facilities, and call it enough. But then what would Iran do? I think Bush is smart enough to just wave a stick for now, and keep Iran worried but nothing more.

10. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jan 31 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]383399[/snapback]</div>
    I hope, based on the huge f-up that Iraq has been since the get, that Congress would ensure that no more unnecessary wars will happen.

11. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

For some sickly reason this made me think of Jim Jones.

12. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Jan 31 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]383284[/snapback]</div>
    No idea on the origin of this pic, someone just sent me the link. Made me laugh and cringe, and I figured someone here might get a chuckle out of it too.

13. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 31 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]383294[/snapback]</div>
    Probably the most stupid comment I ever read... What universe do YOU live in...

Yeah, I'm sure saddam and sons felt the same way... :rolleyes:

14. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Feb 1 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]383922[/snapback]</div>
    Kim Jong Il certainly does. He got all blustery about NK and their nukes, then they cross the line, and we say "I didn't mean that..."

Once again, Squid, it's you that are living on an alternate plane.

15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 1 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]383927[/snapback]</div>
    Squid~

Doesn't it look like livelychick's using the baby as a human shield in her avatar? <_<

Just read some of her other thread replies you can plainly see, her plane sticks out farther than yours. :p :lol: :lol:

I just love these threads, show whos afraid of what... :rolleyes:

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 1 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]383931[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like the rightards are on the defensive. You'd have to be feeling pretty outgunned to start making fun of a mother and her child. You neocons might be better off realizing what we're saying here. No one on the planet is scared of george and his ineffective military strategy. Not Li'l Kim, not Osama, not Ahmadinejad, no one. They're all laughing at him. Even george's own party can't stand him any longer. They'll have to remove him from the White House before long in a straightjacket because he's as far gone as you are.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    So the good book says the 'Rapture' (not even in a real phrase from the bible) happens instantly ... 'in the twinkling of an eye'. And those who are alive will be caught up. Interesting George was left behind. So, in the picture ... is he still waiting because he 'doesn't get it' ?

18. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 1 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]383931[/snapback]</div>
    This from a man who says "Maximum Overdrive...what a movie!"

PriusGuy--what a dolt!

And, a short blast for you ever accusing me of using my son as a human shield. Big difference between playing and laughing with my child than using him in WarGames. But, I expect you'd have that thought because you WOULD be the type of little-dicked coward to do that to your own progeny. Oh--and wait. So you don't have to go look it up, "progeny" means "offspring." And "offspring" means "child." I hope you actually know the meaning of "child;" it is a single-syllable word.

You've just proven yourself, once again, to be an idiotic son-of-a-b$#@h. And one of the worst examples of a so-called "Christian" I've ever seen. Just to let you know, you will be going to hell for your hatefulness, I've no doubt. Why don't you go take some lessons from TJ to learn about being a real Christian man?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Feb 1 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]383950[/snapback]</div>
    Good question! And, I'm not doubting you, but where does it say that and in what translation? I'm just curious. I used to read Revelations as an adolescent b/c it was similar to watching a horror movie, and I don't remember a lot about it.

The Jehovah's Witnesses that I talked to said that they would actually witness the rapture, so I don't think so :( . I guess he's waiting his turn.

19. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From an article looking at Rapture believers and scripture

"Today's Christian fixation on Armageddon and war is a sickness even while it may be thrilling and entertaining," Rossing said by phone, a few days after she preached on the theme of the Second Coming for the first Sunday in Advent.

Rossing, who has a doctorate from the Harvard Divinity School, says she wrote her latest book, "The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation," which came out earlier this year, because "more and more I was talking to Lutherans and evangelicals and even Catholics who had read the [Left Behind] novels and gotten the impression this was what the Bible teaches." In news stories on the Left Behind juggernaut, she has been quoted condemning the ethical implications of the "beam-me-up" aspect of Rapture theory, which she says "invites a selfish nonconcern for the world." But the heart of the book is Rossing's effort to go toe-to-toe with the Rapture theorists in Scriptural readings

The Rapture theory itself is quite new, she argues -- one reason to be suspicious. It was largely invented around 1830 by a British evangelical named John Nelson Darby. One key proof-text, then as now, is Daniel 9:24-27, which speaks of "seventy weeks of years" between the time "the word went out to restore and build Jerusalem" and the second coming. Theologians disagree on when the clock should start for the countdown of those 490 years (70 times seven). After the 69th week, however, Daniel says a "prince" will come who "shall destroy the city and its sanctuary" through war and flood.

Rossing and other mainline biblical scholars believe this last is a historical reference to an emperor named Antiochus, who desecrated Jerusalem's main temple in 168 BC by erecting a statue of Zeus. However, the Rapture theorists say this can't be what Daniel refers to, citing a lack of the all-out "desolation" described in Daniel. Instead, they say, the 490-year countdown continued into Jesus' time and stopped when he was crucified. Therefore, the Earth still awaits one more week of years, or seven years, of the prophecy: first, the destruction of the Temple (which at this point must be rebuilt, on the site where the Dome of the Rock now stands) and then seven years of war and flood.

20. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 1 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]383945[/snapback]</div>

hahah, ok, yeah, you'd make a great writer for the Inquirer... I just can't believe the serious IDIOCY of that train of thought...

No, they're not afraid at all, hence the frantic attempt to get their hands on nukes, and Kim rattling his saber... seriously, why do you thing they're doing that? because they DON'T feel threatened? lol What makes someone suddenly move their coat aside to let you know they're packing? ...because, "Hey, check out my new gun!!" They think they're NEXT on the chopping block...

this is why the gestapo concept was created, I'd really hate to have schmucks who think like you in charge of my well being...

calling the strategy a "failure" does in no way suddenly negate US troops showing up at your doorstep with guns.