1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Down to the Rapture

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Beryl Octet, Jan 31, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ Mar 4 2007, 06:40 PM) [snapback]400031[/snapback]</div>
    who says i'm sitting on any fences?

my own personal belief aside, as i don't feel the need to go into that, how do you know that god isn't reaching out to different people in different ways? he/she/it supposedly put us all here and probably then understands that we all see things different ways, we learn different ways, etc.

so who's to say that the christians, the jews, the muslims, the [insert group here] aren't all worshipping the same god, who has 'spoken' to them in different ways through different texts and different histories?

i assume christians all think they're worshipping the same god though there are some vastly different sects out there... who's to say that worshipping god is exclusive to the christian faith?

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 4 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]399999[/snapback]</div>
    God implies a supreme being.. meaning supreme above all others, when they disagree with each other, they cannot be the same.

3. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Mar 4 2007, 07:45 PM) [snapback]400017[/snapback]</div>

'Have a say'?

Of course they should. Just like those who believe in nothing, have a say.

Having a say in society, should not be governed by one's personal belief. That would be akin to saying that if you believe in God, you can't be president. And so far, every president has at one point or another, said they believe in God.

For better, or for worse.

One should not have one's beliefs trampled on, no matter how screwy you think they are.

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Mar 4 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]400017[/snapback]</div>
    Alric, I personally don't think the earth or "man" is only 6000 years old.
    No where does the bible really spell that out... no one knows how long the time was between the earth being flooded in Noahs time verses when man was up and running again.

No one knows the time frame between adam and eve and abrahams time.

Chronicals do spell out time frames and generations, but there are large periods of time not accounted for.

God spoke the word and said "let there be light".....
    I have often felt this could in fact be in agreement with a big bang theory of an instant cosmic explosion.... as yo see the progression of what appeared each creative day.. it follows evolution pretty well... I once figured each creative day could be approx 2.5 billion years????

Even though on the first creative day, God said let there be light, it wasn't until much later that mention of the moon and sun was ever made?.. so what was the "light" on the first day?

The time period "before" the first creative day when the earth was without form and void.... some believe to be the result of a Pre adamic race... possibly demons that now are disembodied spirits seeking habitation again in a body so they can again navigate in the physical realm?

There is allot we don't know.. but we know Satan was cast out of heaven to the earth and he took 1/3 of the angels with him... they were all here "before" adam and eve????? What were they doing?
    God never mentions he put Satan here during any of his creative days... he was here "before".
    And a creative day was not 24 hours if the sun wasn't even in existence yet or it didnt' appear.

We also know Demons are much less in authority than demonic Angels and it is has yet to be proven where demons came from or how they were created.. but they "are" real!

I guess I'm telling you all this because I don't want you to throw the baby out with the bathwater and discount all of scripture because you don't understand part of it.

Sometimes its what you "do" understand is all that matters.. just like in a relationship... there are always unknowns to us. We never know anything really in this life.. whether we will arrive safely at our next destination or if we will be alive in the morning.. yet we trust our faith in cars and we plan for tommorrow.

The only thing we can really trust in is the love of God and his promise he would never leave us or forsake us... all else is fleeting as a vapor that appears for a little while and then passes away.

(James 4:13 NKJV) Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit";
    (James 4:14 NKJV) whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.

5. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ Mar 4 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]400031[/snapback]</div>

SO you BELIEVE. Who is to say, that what others believe, is not true to them?

I believe Christ looked/looks like an Middle Eastern Person, not a white dude. But that is what I believe. You might not.

loveitttomuch, you can't tell someone else what to believe, nor can you tell someone else there is one God.

THAT is not for you to decide. It's up to them, to accept/decide for themselves.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Mar 4 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]400045[/snapback]</div>

Well, I did not vote for Bush the second time; I voted for Kerry. So, at least one of us God believing Republican Preacher Types did not vote for the moron Bush.

And I am sure, that more then the religious folks voted for Bush.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Mar 4 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]400045[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I think the homosexual folks have every right to marry, and have the same rights as straight folks. Of course, I think that you don't have to be homosexual, to have equal rights in a partnership.

Before I was married, I lived (still do), with a dude named Keith. I can't sign him in at a hospital. We have lived together for more then 22 years. Neither of us is gay. But again, I can't help him out, if I need to, when he might need it the most.

That is insane, IMHO.

My wife? She can sign for me, and all, of course...and no, she does not mind Keith living here.

I think in a country like the USA, where Freedom of Religion, means the ability, to be Free of Religion, we should have equal rights. Especially if the people vote for it.

6. Loveit

Loveit New Member

Desynch, I was speaking about there only being One God. There are no others. If you think there other 'gods', better take a second look because those are demons from hell.

Even the demons believe there is a God, and they tremble when He speaks.

Each person has the right to make their own decision about whether or not there is a God or no God.

I can only tell you from experience that I know that there is a God in heaven. I can also tell you that there are demons too.

But if your house were on fire and you did not know it, I am sure that you would want someone to come and tell you right away.

I am not sure what you are referring to when you are talking about compassionate. I don't condemn anyone. But this one thing I know, that I can only tell you from my own experience what has transpired in my life as a result of given my life to the one and only true God. That is what is known as my 'testimony' and 'witness' to how God has worked in my life.

Things that seem to happen are not coincidential, and it's not nirvana which is a soul that is absorbed into a supreme being.

Rather, it's the other way around, where Jesus lives within my being in my heart. That's where God has placed His Spirit inside of me. My old "spirit" has died, and I have been "born again" with the Spirit of Christ living in me. No devil or demon in hell can touch that "Spirit" because it was "born of God."

Jesus is the first fruit of those who have the "Spirit" of God living in Him. That is why He was not only fully man but fully God.
    Like Him, although we will die in these bodies we have now, but we will be resurrected just as He was and have incorruptible bodies just like His was when He was resurrectd.

For Christians, this is part of our down payment, part of our inheirtance of what is to come in the future for us. We not only have the "Seal" or "Mark" or "Stamp" of the Holy Spirit upon us, it is our guarantee of what God has promised us through Jesus Christ: eternal life.

I know that those who worship any other God, other than Jesus Christ the Son, worships what they do not know and do not understand.

Those other so called 'gods' or 'god' are actually demons.

Even God's own angels don't dare to argue with them, but only say, "May the Lord rebuke you."

I can only tell or 'warn' you from my own person life experience how God has worked in my life. But I can also tell you that you need to be very careful about whom you worship.

I have a co-worker that was having some serious problems in her life. Now mind you, I asked if they were a Christian then this person replies yes. So I said would you mind if I pray for you, they said no. So I prayed with them asking the Lord God to help them in the particular area(s) of their life in which they were encountering problems. When I finished praying with this person, I said, "You know that you can come to the Lord God any time as His child and ask for what it is that you need. He cares about you." This person then replies that they go to a "fortune teller/medium/spiritist" for advice like every six weeks. It reminds me of a lady who would have a standing 6-week appointment with her hairdresser every 6-weeks.

I was flabbergasted to say the least. Then I said, "You know that the bible tells believers, (Christians), that we are not to have anything to do with such things as they are abominations unto the Lord." They said, "Why?"

"Because you are opening a can of worms, serious, serious trouble that will cause no end of grief, heartache, and trouble to say the least."

Then a light bulb went off in this person's head and they replied, "So that's why I am having all the trouble that I have!"

BINGO!!!!!!!

I told this person that they needed to 'repent', in other words agree with God about what He said about doing such things, and then turn away from IT, to worship God, and to ask God for forgiveness of that sin. So they did.

It's been several years since that incident and I still see that person on a regular basis and they are not having any more problems.

Some people are not so fortunate. There is real bondage for a person who lets the devil and his co-horts get a foothold in their lives, especially people that are not 'saved'.

Christians cannot be 'possessed' but they most definitely can be depressed, oppressed, and sometimes even tormented.

Word of warning if you say you are "wise" be absolutely careful when you tread on terriority that is not God's.

The Lord loves people that's why He sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross so that we would not be captive or held captive and deceived by the devil and his co-horts.

It's just a warning.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Mar 4 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]400129[/snapback]</div>
    TJ, religion is flawed if everybody has thier own God...

We have already covered this subject....... God has has several show downs in history with cultures that had many Gods.

Telling people its ok to serve anyone but thier creator just because they believe in them is no religion at all.

If I want to rob banks.. I can erect a God that says its ok to rob from the rich and give to the poor.. just like Robin Hood!...... just because I believe in it does not mean the "real" God will go along with it nor does it mean they will not be accountable to him.

Every Knee shall bow and confess that he alone is the Lord!...

You confuse me.. there seems to be so much scripture you seem totally unaware of?

Just how many pages did you tear out anyway?

Do you honestly think you can just take the parts you like and toss the rest?

It "all" makes sense and fits together!

You cannot profess to be a preacher of God and deny what he says and only takes the parts you like that fits your own personaly lifestyle you've chosen??????

Do you believe that serving a "God" means that you are submitted to him and his words?

Or is your God your puppet that only does what you want? and when he asks something of you, you only do it if it seems right to you? Are we back to "God is my Jennie or "servant" in a bottle" religion?

I know you have learned not to know trust the images of Godliness that have been presented before you as a child.. but that was perversion of the real. Men are men and God is God...
    I believe in questioning men when they say things to you.. especially if they say God wants it...

But challenging God himself against your opinions is not exactly wise is it?

Try to allow healing in your mind and heart from your past so you can live a pure life before God.
    Don't let your past beat you... God can really heal from that past.

8. Loveit

Loveit New Member

TJ, how can I explain to you what's in my heart unless I tell you? You can't know. No one can.

The bible says, that only God and the spirit of a man knows a man.

I don't profess to know what anyone knows unless they tell me.

Most of the people on this thread are saying they don't believe in the only ONE and TRUE God.

If you believe in God, and you say you do, and you know that He is the greatest that there is, would you want to tell me all about Him?

You say no? Why not? Because I didn't ask you?

How am I suppose to know that such a great God exists if you don't tell me?

You know we are called to share what it is that we know about God from our own personal experience, and that I do.

So are you telling me that I cannot tell others about how great God is? and that I shouldn't tell them that there is a hell with brimstone and fire? and that there is a devil and his co-horts?

Are you going to tell them for me?

Why don't you just come right out and tell everyone why you hate God?

Oh, you don't hate God? You could have fooled me!

I am not talking about people, such as those who have burnt you very bad; I am talking about MY Savior and Lord, and I want to share Him with others.

As my pastor says: "Hurting people, hurt people."

Right now I would say that you are hurting very bad. No, you have not hurt me, but you are not helping.

If you don't like it, that will not stop me from telling others all about Him.

I hope that you will be able to get past the hurt of being violated so that you can be free.

As Windstrings said, that stinks you being violated by the very ones that were suppose to be men after God's own heart and were not, and I agree with him, it stinks.

Those the Lord has set free, is free indeed. You need to be set free again. He can do that.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Mar 4 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]400120[/snapback]</div>
    and what if it's just the human interpretations of his/her/its will that disagree?

we all know that religion is run on earth by humans... and we know humanity has plenty of capacity to suit religion for its own needs...

and as a side note irrelevant to this particular line of inquiry, what's the deal with blaming people's lack of faith on the fact that they have been hurt in the past?

10. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Alan, I am a preacher. I am a pastor. I have said this time and time again. I am just not your fundie type of preacher. I have a mind, and it's open. It's not closed off to thinking.

And I will not, nor will I ever, tell someone else what to do, when it comes to their personal belief systems.

For God's sake, even CHRIST did not tell anyone what to do! Even when He was on the cross, and that nit wit was denying Him, even then, CHRIST did not tell that moron to believe in Him. When will you and loveittoomuchsomuchhesisblind get it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Mar 5 2007, 01:17 AM) [snapback]400143[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, religion is flawed. That is why I hate religion. OF ALL TYPES. I hate 'Christianity' almost as much as any other type of 'organized' religion, for the very reasons that RELIGION is corrupt from the core.

I don't hate those who follow God, or don't. I just hate with a passion, religion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Mar 5 2007, 01:17 AM) [snapback]400143[/snapback]</div>

Good, then. No religion is fine by me. Religious types, they miss the whole boat.

I am aware of more then all of scripture, since I am also aware of the 'lost' scriptures, and read them too. Just because some bonehead left out the Acts of Philip does not mean they don't hold value.

I don't tear out pages; I just apply logic to the Bible. You yourself pointed out how you can see how in Genesis, that one day for God may not be the same as what we think it is.

So can other scripture mean other things. The story of Jonah, is often seen by critical thinkers as allegory; same with Noah.

I take the parts that hold up to scrutiny. That I can explain, with logic, and reason, to some degree. I have to. I have to on a daily basis, explain how Christ could walk on water, and how I can't. I have to explain how Christ fed over 5000 with only a bit of food, without ordering take out.

I only toss the parts that don't make sense, that can be explained as human error.

Again. Repeat this to me, just to see you got it: I have said, that I believe in 30-40% of the Bible as being accurate. Of that, I believe 100% is true. Given the age of the text, the lack of physical evidence, the lack of original manuscripts, that is remarkable.

I believe more of what Christ said, then anything else in the Bible. The parts that were not exaggerated.

HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!

Oh my gawd, you have to be kidding! It does not even comes close to all making sense!

Moses died before he finished writing what the Bible says he wrote. He even wrote of his own death.

There is 400 years between the end of Nehemiah and the birth of Christ. Yet, for one reason or another, no mention in the Bible of those 'silent' years. Why?

We can't even agree where/when Matthew was written. Some say that it was written in the Holy Land, while some think it was written in Syrian Antioch. Some think that Matthew may not have written it at all, since a lot is copied after Mark.

Fits? Why, the four Gospels don't all agree! Sheesh. You do yourself a disservice here. Wake up and smell the Study Bibles. I have many. I am reading the TNIV one right now. That is Today's New International Version.

First off, sure I can. I am a Preacher. What, just because I disagree with your definition, I can't be a Preacher?

No where did it say, when I became a Preacher, that I had to shut my mind off. In fact, my mentor, a man with over 37 years of being a Pastor, said that to stop my questioning would dull me. It makes my sword sharper, as I delve deeper into the Bible. I spend hours and hours every day reading it. I have just in the last week, bought seven new ones, each with a different spin on the Word. I hunger for the truth, and I am finding it. What boggles my mind, is how you, Alan, can't be as hungry for the Truth.

For the Truth is God.

Why can't you grasp that man is evil, and given the chance, corrupt the very Word you hold dear? That in editing the Bible, that it could have, was indeed, corrupted? Why can't you see the errors, even in your beloved King James Version? Why wasn't the Gospels printed in the order they were written? Why was the Gospel of Peter left out? Why?

The 'lifestyle' I would have chosen, would be a lot easier, let me tell you, if I choose to. How easy, to just cave in, and be a Pastor with a Closed mind, and just recite chapter and verse, and condemn those who disagree with the Bible, because the Bible says so. It is the lazy person who does that.

I refuse to give in; I won't. I will continue, and continue, shouting out the Truth, until the whole world hears.

No, because I don't believe in serving God. I believe in helping God. I believe that He treats me as He would want to be treated; with respect. I don't buy into that whole 'worship' thing; never have. I tend to think that is 'Church' made, and not God made at all.

If I had no vocal chords, I would still speak about how God is Great. I just would do it with hands.

I am not submitted to God, in the sense, that I am His slave. I am submitted to the idea that God loves us all. As to His words, I am always reading, and digging deeper into them.

Again. I have said this before. If there was no Bible, I would still believe in God. I don't need words to see His miracles. Why do you?

Well, since I never pray for anything, (as in, ask God for anything), I don't expect anything. Why should I expect anything from God? I have already been given a great gift; I don't see any need to be greedy.

I have cancer, over a year and a half now, yet, I live. I have not once asked for God to help me, nor have I asked anyone else to help. If I die today, that would be a gift, since then I would be done. So why prolong this?

My God is no puppet, but He is not a fool; He knows that man is corrupt, makes mistakes, can't be trusted to do what is right. He is all knowing, and knows my heart.

I don't want a pure life; since I can't achieve what I am not. To want something I can never have is a waste of time for me.

I will never be 100% pure here. I have times in the day that I get mad, or pissed, and there you go. No more pure. I am content with who I am, cancer and all.

God has, actually, healed a lot of my past, and without me asking for it. My past, like this sentence, is behind me. I don't hold it to my future.

Have I forgot it, my past? Nope. But it does not hold me back. That would be stupid.

11. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ Mar 5 2007, 01:40 AM) [snapback]400152[/snapback]</div>

Okay. Try to get this, loveitoomuchyouareblindtologic, (I would use your name, but you don't share it):

I do think God is great, for me.. And I will offer to share the Word of Peace that He offers. HOWEVER, I won't beat you over the head with it. I won't try to, at least.

Every day, someone out there is pissed at God, and hates Him for whatever reason they have. And they don't want to hear from you how Great God is, when at that moment, they want to strangle God.

Okay. Cool. I'll back off them.

And you know what? Of those that I back off, I get 9 times out of 10, a call (or email), back, asking me questions. See, lovey, you think that others want to hear what you have to say, automatically, since it works for you. But what worked out for you, well, it don't always work that way for others.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ Mar 5 2007, 01:40 AM) [snapback]400152[/snapback]</div>
    The same way a blind man knows how beautiful their spouse is. By touch. By feel.

God can make His presence felt without you telling anyone. Trust me.

Well, if you buy all that, you can tell who ever you want. Me? I'm not sure hell is all fire and brimstone, but I am sure it won't be fun. I do believe there is a devil, and spiritual warfare, and demons. Kinda makes the whole thing an adventure.

But not everyone is willing/wanting to hear that. So why not try to back off that? If following God, believing in God is hitched to the idea that if you don't, you will die in flames and all, well, what does that say to the non believer about God? I'll tell you; it says God is ultimately evil, and mean, and does not love all, since if he was not evil, mean, and loved us all, we would all go to heaven.

Hmm. Not exactly the thing you want to accomplish there, but you are. Why do you think Joel Osteen, (a preacher I like), why do you think his message works? Because it is a positive message.

I have never said, at all, that I hate God. Nor have I indicated that. Why hate God? Did He do evil things to me? Did He?

No.

:lol:

The only thing that hurts on me? My hands and feet, from arthritis. The cancer, to some degree, hurts me...Otherwise, I am not hurting at all.
    If by saying I am not helping, you mean I am not helping your fundie conservative cause out; that by telling the truth about the Bible hurts your conservative base, then oh well.

I am so free, it's not even funny. I am more free then you are, since I am free to think outside The Bible.

The Lord set me free a long time ago. Maybe someday, you too will be free as me, loveittoomuchthatyouareblindfromwhatyouaredoing.

Why is it, that the fundies think that to be free, you have to be tied down? I don't get that.

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Im guessing D is a homosexual. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Mar 4 2007, 10:55 PM) [snapback]400129[/snapback]</div>
    Wth? :huh:
    People cant understand why we have the high insurance costs, Oh so since my buddy lives with me & is a roomate he sould reap the benifits of a realtionship? Dude that is sooo wacked.. :blink:

Im not homophobic, But rather tolerant of the lifestyle. (what they do behind closed doors is ok). Im not for them playing 'Butt Pirate' in the parks or public restrooms in the mall or parks <_< .... But again what they do behind closed doors is their business..

Didnt God wipe out a city for homosexuality and other sins? Wasn't it Sodom & Gomorra?

Another tidbit, check out the History of Sex on the History Channel..

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 4 2007, 11:41 PM) [snapback]400176[/snapback]</div>
    You see it as an attack... its just facts.. you can't have faith in someone you don't trust or respect and who has burn't you in the past.

If someone harbors resentment at God for not protecting, or for giving his heart away in total trust and then being burn't... it kills the faith.

For that matter, living in sin or knowing you are not in total good standing with God in forgiveness and relationship and or rather "fellowship", that too kills faith.

So much so that what doesn't make sense or what doesn't appear to be as truth and trustworthy will be disregarded.

Forgiveness is a supernatural event..... although we can repress and suppress and try to forget, true forgivness comes from God.. the best we can do is be open to it by asking for it from God.
    But if the devil can get us mad at the very person that gives forgivness, how can we walk in it?

Just because I choose to let it go and forgive someone, does not mean I really have the power to pull it off.. there will always be a reserve and a guarding and holding that person at arms length next time.... its natural.. part of our defense mechanism..

But when the forgiveness of God happens.... the strength of God so infuses the wounded person that that person is open to being vulnerable and wounded again with true love and openness towards them.

God opens himself to us like that over and over again.

We can choose to love, but if it actually happens, its a supernatural event.

14. Loveit

Loveit New Member

TJ, I am sorry that you have cancer. I am not trying to put any extra burden on you buddy.

But you were asking about not having to tell anyone about God.

True, God doesn't need us, but it is written: "God inhabits the praises of His people."

Plus: "If people don't cry out their praises of God, the rocks will."

If people are doing what's right and living for God, then that's fine.

But those who are not doing what's right and not living for God, well even Cain was chastised by God for his long, sad face because he knew that sin was crouching at the door ready to get him, and it's because he knew what God expected of him, but he didn't do it. Cain decided that he knew better and did it his way, and looked where it got him.

Sad to say, he ended up murdering his brother Abel.

Then he went into exile at his own request to God and asked God to protect him from others that would want to kill him.

God was still merciful in that He put his own mark on Cain to serve as a warning to others not to kill him. It must have been some mark of warning!

People can't white-wash sin and expect God to welcome them with open arms. It has to be done God's way, through His Son Jesus.

Life here on earth is just a dress rehearsal for the here after.

If people don't want to live for God here on earth and do it His way, then they are certainly not going to want to be with God in the here after either.

So they don't have much option after that....

If God is not Who He says He is, then why would any one want to worship Him?

God is all knowing, all powerful, and He upholds everything by the power of His Word.

One can see that a much Higher Being exists by looking at all creation.

But to know God, intimately, one must know His nature. The essence of Who He is. That is what the written Word is for.

It shows us what His expectations are and what to do about meeting those expectations.

Believe it or not, I like Joel Osteen and his preaching, but although Joel never preaches on sin, he always offers the invitation for people to make Jesus Lord of their life.

In order to do that, some where along the line, he must preach repentence from sin.

Otherwise, why believe in Jesus at all?

The bible says, that all, have fallen short of the glory of God.

This BOOK will never pass away according to Jesus. Heaven and earth will pass away before it does.

I believe in God's power for all of my needs and them some.

I trust that you do too.

Please have a great day today. I will keep you in prayer that the Lord will strengthen you, especially in body.

15. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Mar 5 2007, 08:22 AM) [snapback]400225[/snapback]</div>
    What is 'wacked' about that?

I have lived with Keith for longer then most marriages; heck, even this year, as my wife and I go into our 15th year of marriage, I have had Keith as a roommate, longer.

Again, since you seem to think I am gay, we are not. But why can't I be able to help him out, say, if he and I agree to that, in times of trouble? If he was knocked out, and in a hospital, why can't I be able to help him out?

He is closer to me then a brother. In fact, we often get called (by complete strangers, no less), brothers. We gave up trying to correct them years ago, unless we really get to know them.

It's not wrong, to me, to want to be able to share with him. Why can't two legal age adults, sign a legal paper, that gives the other rights? For anyone? A contract, as it were...

16. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Mar 5 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]400472[/snapback]</div>
    Again Sir, I could care less if you are or aren't gay.... Im glad you have a strong bond with someone other than your wife....

He should be able to give you power of attorney if something should happen to him... That would be Legal enough... Check with a para-legal or an attorney... ;)

17. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Windstrings and loveit can continue to believe that if someone that doesn't follow their God that that someone will burn in hell forever. It is their right to believe so. I will not infringe upon that right or even ask them to believe otherwise.

Not everyone believes what I believe. And my belief does not require them to.

On Jesus and Buddha:
    "..similarities in the lives of these two great beings.
    Some may say that this type of comparison is inevitable when great
    spiritual leaders come into the world. However, some of the events in
    their lives have quite a resemblance. Both Buddha and Christ were
    precocious youths who confounded their teachers with their gifted
    knowledge. Both began their spiritual quest at about the age of thirty.
    Both fasted and prayed in the wilderness and both were tempted by the
    devil while practicing these austerities. The setting of these two
    accounts is almost identical as are the events. Both men were fasting
    when tempted by the devil (desire, greed, etc) who tried to entice them into worldly pleasures
    and trick them into using the magical powers that they possessed. Both
    men overcame the temptation and soon left their seclusion and took up the
    mission of a life of teaching and traveling. Jesus's life at this time
    seems very much like the age-old life of an Indian mystic or holy man. He
    traveled from village to village and lived off the hospitality of the
    people of the village. There are some differences, but, nonetheless, both
    Buddha and Christ got into trouble with the ruling aristocracies by their
    deliberate blindness to social status and by taking food and refuge from
    courtesans and prostitutes.
    Both masters told their disciples to leave behind their homes and
    families and to follow him. Both sent his followers out to preach their
    message. Both were social revolutionaries who reacted against the
    conservative elements of their time. Both put an end to animal sacrifice
    which was popular in both Hinduism and Judaism. As you can see there are
    great similarities in the lives of these two great beings. Both forgave
    evil doers, both conquered death in a metaphysical sense. The earth shook
    when each of them died. Their messages are also similar: they told their
    followers to overcome anger, to practice non-violence, to "turn the other
    cheek" to be pure of mind and body."

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess the real descrepency is based on who is alive now?

I Jesus would have never had the power over death and resurrected, we too could not hope to have power over death and live unto life through his resurrection.
    We also could not hope to have life over death to go to a heaven of any sorts.

Budda is dead..... as much as he may had been revered when he was alive. he lived a normal life as a mortal and died as a mortal and has no power today to keep you from dying either through a resurrection of life hearafter.

Why in the world would any one worship a dead guy?

If he was still alive, I could "maybe" see the logic, or if he died and rose again, I see the logic.

Jesus too would be nothing to worship if he did not have power of death.

We do not "worship" a mortal. We may honor them, or hold them in high esteem, but we only "worship" a God.

Jesus as the Son of God had power of death, hell and the grave.... this is the key difference.

There is tons of proof of his existence today..... not only through communication and companionship in peoples hearts, but even in the physical, the demons flee and the power of diseases are dispelled throught the name of Jesus alone.

No where do I see sicknesses or any of the like being dispelled through the name of Budda... nor can he communicate with you today, unless you go through a medium and call up a dead guy... even then, he will have no power to save you are anything else.

Why in the world would you even tempt God by worshipping an Idol of Budda... and how can Budda be more real to you than Jesus?.. is it just what you were taught?...

Or do you have any concrete manifestative reasons?

What will get real tricky is when the lying wonders of the last days come forth to decieve all mankind.

19. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Can't believe I've been sucked in again, but you've got it wrong again, windstrings.

Buddhists don't worship Buddha. The need to "Worship" smacks of an egotistic or arrogance on the part of the worshippee. (Yep--just made that word up.)

No, Buddhists use the Buddha as a guide, a roadmap if you will, to the kind of life that we all should live, taking a human collectiveness, the self, and our surroundings into account.

Worshipping isn't really part of it--being thankful is, recognizing blessings is, understanding your place among all the people of the world is...and there's so much more that I won't bore you with. (See how easy it is to write a short post?)

I study Buddhism, and many of Buddha's teachings (gasp) mirror Christ's teachings. I would like to call myself a Buddhist, but I'm simply not disciplined enough.

It's easier to be a Christian, to tell the truth. Sadly, I'm neither...

20. Loveit

Loveit New Member

Thank God it's easier to be a Christian!

We don't have to do anything other than believe in Jesus and live by the power of the Holy Spirit!