1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Download location for techstream?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sorka, Apr 9, 2021.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The Dell I had with techstream installed has died.

I have another laptop running XP 32 bit SP3 but the old locations I know about no longer exist. Anyone know where good current source is?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's as many websites offering downloads as the day is long as all the knock off devices sold for this for less than $30 comes with download link or disk with copy on it. Also some sell old laptops with Techstream pre-installed... Just start digging deep into the google and see if you can find one.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The official, public download locations for Toyota Techstream software are on Toyota’s websites:
    • techinfo.toyota.com, with a Professional Diagnostic or Security Professional subscription, and
    • toyota-tech.eu, from which the software (but not registration keys) is available at no charge.
    The software operates only with a registration key. Each key is coded for the Software ID of the computer on which it is valid and for one of Toyota’s four major sales areas (Japan, North America, Europe, or Other). If you buy a key from toyota-tech.eu, for example, it works only when Europe is the area selected in the software, meaning that it will communicate properly only with vehicles built for sale in that area.

Current Techstream versions are not supported on Windows 7 or earlier operating systems, by the way.

4. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been trying to get a later version of the software and the toyota-tech.eu site must be one of the worse in the world. Although it states "A copy of the diagnostic software is FREE to download from this site". Next just keeps telling you to buy an active license. I tried emailing a complaint and it kept asking me to "provide a value for field Summary" which I did several times. Then it would not accept the verification that I was not a robot. Sometimes you just need to give up!

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After a brief look around the toyota-tech.eu site, I think I found the subscription rates for library access (from yearly down to hourly), but I wasn't able to find the rate for activating Techstream. Here in the US the shortest term is two days for $65 (but that's also the shortest library access term we get; we don't have the hourly options the EU gets).

Although they don't charge you for downloading the software, as it won't work without at least a short-duration activation purchase, maybe they are checking to make sure you have that before letting the download go through.

I have also zero information on what Brexit implies for toyota-tech.eu, now or in future....

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe this is why they don't enforce against hacked versions people share online? :)

7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If you follow the link to the GTS page on toyota-tech.eu in post #3, and then click the Download button, under Step 3: Download software, you should get GTS_SetupEU_V16.00.017.exe (240,162,976 bytes).

You don’t even have to log in to download or install the software, but as @ChapmanF kindly notes, to use it, you do need a license.
    The rates are in a table on the right side of the linked page: €5 for a day, €10 for a week, €30 for a month, and so on.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gosh, those are radically reasonable compared to ours in the US.

9. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to be ultra careful downloading this software. I just did a scan and found Ransomware in a file: "toyota mini vci 16.00.017.iso" I cannot remember where it came from as I have downloaded so much which has turned out to have problems. Fortunately, I keep a separate HD for the OBD so if Windows cannot remove it, I will just reinstall the OS. Of course, some of these attacks can affect the BIOS. Thank goodness for Mac.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you end up downloading from the Toyota GTS page linked by Elektroingenieur, or from some, ah, redistributing site?

If it came from Toyota and had a hit in a malware scanner, my first guess would be a false positive maybe, something in it that happens to match some signature used by the scanner. If it came from elsewhere, I could believe anything.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I could not get anywhere with the Toyota site. As I said earlier, it states that the software is free and then asks you to buy a license. I only wanted to use it once, but it could take a few days to sort it out. The file "toyota mini vci 16.00.017.iso most definitely had the Ransomware in it and it has infected 3 other files. I am still trying to remove one of them. It must have been downloaded a few days ago and I became aware of the problem when trying to move it to trash. A message something like the file could not be moved because it was open in system, when I had only just started the computer, led me to make a scan. it could have come from the 365 website, but cannot honestly say where I downloaded from.