1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Downside of the HUD

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bucco, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It looks like the eye point in the picture is very low. It's as if you're looking at the road from just above the dash. If I was able to move my seat that low, I'd have the same issue. However, if raising the seat to eliminate the problem causes leg cramps or other physical issues, then there really is no cure from what you've posted.

Not to sound insensitive, but are you very short?

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO this really isn't so much a problem with the HUD, it's a problem with the glass.

Reflection and glare I think has gotten worse on a lot of automobiles as more and more automobiles have adopted larger horizontally slanted aerodynamically sloped windshields.

I think on older automobiles with a more vertical slant reflected a whole lot less.

I really think the ultimate answer to this problem might have to come from windshield manufacturers. Create and use a glass with better anti-glare properties.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think this is the reason why Toyota didn't offer the HUD on US models in the first place! :rolleyes:

It's a great and really useful option and I'm happy to put up with any minor issues. Just think - you never have to take your eyes off the road ahead. Great.

Stop whinging guys or they'll take the HUD off next models. (y)

4. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No whining from me. I love the HUD. As you said there's almost no need to take your eyes off the road. Hopefully, they keep the option available in the next gen as well.

Gee3 and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've noticed that the windshield (windscreen) on the Prius has an annoying, inherent haze due to the extreme slope angle. It makes an ideal reflective surface for anything to show up: even the defrost registers. Toyota has used a highly defused dash material to minimize the glare but should have focused (NPI) on their glass glazing process. IMHO, there is a lot of room for improvement.

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've noticed that the windshield (windscreen) on the Prius has an annoying, inherent haze due to the extreme slope angle. It makes an ideal reflective surface for anything to show up: even the defrost registers. Toyota has used a highly defused dash material to minimize the glare but should have focused (NPI) on their glass glazing process. IMHO, there is a lot of room for improvement.

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry about the double post

8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For what it's worth, I noticed a similar reflection/glare with my Honda Fit. It has a similar very horizontally sloped windshield.

I think manufacturers have to start working on providing glass that minimizes reflection.

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't the windscreens have to be at this steep angle to comply with crash test requirements for the cabin interior?

10. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I believe it has more to do with the coefficient of drag than anything else.

11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps...but my feeling especially with vehicles like the Prius and Honda Fit that it was more just to aide in the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

My 1992 Honda Accord had the 90's "What's Aerodynamics?" much more vertical windshield, and not sloping down, it simply reflected a whole lot less.

I think "glass" has to catch up with automobile design.

12. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wonder what a tablet-sized non-glare screen protector from 3M would do for the reflection problem?

13. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably would get you a ticket for obstruction of view. Is that stuff clear or opec?

14. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not sure but if cut to fit the area of the glare, it might be an option.

I don't have the issue but was just throwing out an idea for those that do.

15. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)
    :confused:There it is again. I see from your two pictures, the camera angle is much higher and closer than I sit. My advance has the electric drivers seat. I sit at a arms length from the steering wheel, with the bottom front of the seat cushion all the way up, with the seat back slightly tilted backwards. I'm 5-8, and can't see the recessed HUD on the top of the dash, or any reflection. Try adjusting your seating position if possible.

16. howieprius

howieprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV

A 33 Cent Partial Solution to the 2014 Prius Four Heads Up Display Glare Problem

Like the OP, I also just got a 2014 Prius Four. I got it mainly for the heated seats. I didn't care about the HUD, but it happened to come with the car and I didn't think much about it.

When I got the car, I tried out the HUD but found it distracting to have the writing right on the windshield. I don’t always need to see my current speed or to see what turns are coming up on the GPS. They don’t need to be projected up to the glass. And the normal speedometer and nav system aren’t so far away anyway. So I turned off the HUD.

Even with the HUD off, the HUD outline on the dashboard created a distracting reflection on the windshield. I searched for this problem online and found this thread a couple weeks ago. I tried the suggestion about adjusting the seat height; but it didn’t make much difference for me. Slouching uncomfortably low helped a little bit but wouldn’t be safe. The severity of the glare seems to be related to the height and angle. I’m about 5’8”. My wife is about 5’3”, and she doesn’t see the glare in the windshield.

One of the suggestions in this thread was to paint the dashboard with some anti-reflective paint. I didn’t want to do that to my brand new car (got it end of January 2014), but I tried a related solution. To try to reduce the reflection, I tried putting something non-reflective on the dashboard to cover the HUD projector. I had a red neck gaiter on me (it’s been cold in New Jersey). That was better than without it, but the red color was a bit too bright.

So I went to an arts and crafts store (Michael’s) and got a piece of soft black felt for 33 cents and put that over the HUD projector. That seems to be working best. I can still faintly see a black rectangle projected onto the windshield, but it’s barely noticeable. The felt is 9 inches x 12 inches. It covers the vent a little bit, so I should cut it down (maybe to 9x10 or 9x9).

I thought I’d need an adhesive to keep it in place. But it’s been staying in place the past couple days on its own. Probably because it’s protected from the wind. Static electricity may be keeping it in place too.

My dad has an older Prius (I think pre-2010) without a HUD, and that doesn’t have any annoying glare on the windshield.

It’s a shame that the HUD glare problem detracts from an otherwise great car. Hopefully Toyota addresses this for future Prius models.

Thanks,
    Howie

Prius with black felt covering the HUD frame on the dashboard:
    [​IMG]

Label for the felt:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HUD has been fantastic. It works great! Of course, with the plug-in model, the info conveyed is more helpful.

That photo in the first post is rather ironic. The only area not actually obscured by dashboard reflection was the HUD opening, showing it really isn't the problem in that circumstnace. It does stand out in contrast at times, but is likely only an annoyance if you are a particular height. For me, it's not.

This photo is what I see most of the winter...

[​IMG]

This video was filmed under conditions that would over-emphasize output, since washout due to camera frame-rate is a problem with that type of display...

Black felt is what I use to prevent dashboard reflection while filming scenery through the windshield. That is a realistic solution, in all but winter driving (since it blocks the defroster). It stays in place, looks nice, and is very inexpensive.

18. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I had my Civic Hybrid, I had a lot of glare from the dash because it was insanely slanted. Once I tinted the windshield, it had the unintended result of also cutting the glare, too. Just something to consider.

19. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That black felt looks about the same material used to make dash covers. Maybe a black dash cover with a cut out for the HUD would help keep that reflection down a bit.

The other solution for sloped aero windshields is to sell the Prius and buy something like a Jeep Wrangler. Those vertical windshields won't reflect any dash component. Without concern for aerodynamics, Wranglers get EPA rated at an amazing 17 city and 21 highway mileage, unless you're headed into a strong head wind, in which case it might be a tad lower. :eek:

20. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a lot of glare in my 03 Camry. I ended up ordering a dash mat for it that helped a lot. Just use a dark color like black or charcoal. I picked med gray that matched the seats and always wished it was darker.