1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

downsize from honda odyssey to prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by alleyooptroop, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't seem to notice any lag at all under normal driving, that is lightly accelerating off the line and the ICE kicks in after a few seconds, no noticeable delay in acceleration though. However, I do notice a slight lag when I jump on the accelerator pretty hard. On one occasion I was making a left turn on a 5 lane road and the traffic was clear for a small but safe distance so I jumped on the gas and there was a small lag. The moment power kicked in the front tires started to spin because of dirt that had collected in a drainage area so the traction control took over and made it lag even more, but as soon as I cleared the dirt I was zipping along. It really isn't a problem, that was just one of very few instances where I have actually noticed any lag, besides that you just get used to the feel of having a dual powered car.

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alleyooptroop @ Dec 15 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]362917[/snapback]</div>
    I'd geuss that the "lag" you're feeling isn't really lag. This car starts so smoothly it feels different than "regular" cars. It seems like you're not moving much, but when looking at the speedo you realize that things are getting going pretty good. The next time you test drive the car keep in mind how smoothly it starts off and see if it's truely a delay.

3. alleyooptroop

alleyooptroop New Member

we've decided to go for it. now it's just a matter of selling the odyssey. i'll keep everyone posted.

4. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think you'll do fine without the Odyssey. I believe that in Great Britain the Prius is marketed as a "large family car"--over here, we're just used to thinking we always *need* a big huge vehicle. If you need deeper storage in the hatch, you can always fold the cargo cover up and there's a tray underneath that will add several inches of depth to your hauling capacity.

Best of luck!

5. alleyooptroop

alleyooptroop New Member

thanks mcbrunnhilde. we're really excited. i've already started calling around. i've even gone through the aaa and costco programs. i'm finding that each dealer has its own pricing policy regardless of going through a buying program or not.

6. mossy24

mossy24 New Member

Keep the Odyssey. I traded in my '04 XTERRA for a Prius as I have a long commute to work. My husband had a VW GOLF TDI and he traded it in for an 06 Sienna. We also have two very young kids.

We are both extremely happy with our trades. The Prius is the commuting car. I take the kids to daycare everyday in it. Don't haul anything around with me. When I do have to put the stroller in the car (double stroller by the way) it doesn't fit in the trunk. It's Eddie Bauer stroller - too long, will only fit in the passenger seat.

I'd say stick with the mini van. The Prius is great, and i'm happy we have it. But i'm also very grateful for the mini van to use on the weekends - for trips to the grocery store, disneyland and being able to still have passengers even though we have two car seats.

7. crichman

crichman Junior Member

Our kids are 12 and 15, and we've got both vehicles. I generally bike to public transit and the Prius gets all our discretionary trips. The Odyssey is for when we need 2 cars. Or for bigger carpools. Or for lugging lots of stuff (like our tandem bike.) Or for long trips with the dog. It doesn't see nearly the use that it did before we got the Prius, but we still appreciate having it around. Our Family Average Fuel Economy rating is much improved.

I think you might need to be very strategic in your choice of strollers if you're planning to out 2 in the Prius. Especially if other stuff (like groceries) needs to come too. It's been a while since we used 'em, but one of us just came off foot surgery and has been using a wheeled scooter that's not so different and it takes up a lot of the available storage space.

Kids (and their stuff) tend to get bigger with time. Sure, life is possible with kids and without minivans -- but it is definitely easier with 'em.

Charlie