1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DPST Switch for Overrides

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mgundel, Oct 7, 2006.

1. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 8 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]329920[/snapback]</div>
    Odd, I've bought replacement switches from RatShack for my security system in the past and never before noticed their backasswards nomenclatures. In the world of momentary contact switchs and relays (of which these are kind of a special type) "normal" refers to the state of the contacts in the unoperated condition. Thus Cheap!'s assertion that you need a normally closed switch, which you do. The good news is that you found one, in spite of what that paragon of technical misinformation that we know as Radio Shack might say.

2. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 9 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]330072[/snapback]</div>
    I have looked at that. It seems that there are two descriptions of this mod (to enable BT and Nav functions while driving.)

1) Insert switch after cutting one (1) purple wire up by the center speaker. This makes both the BT and Nav functions work at the same time.

2) Insert two (2) switches after cutting two (2) purple wires down by the glove box. One switch will control the BT and the other the Nav function.

First, is that right?

Second, is one mod any better than the other? Is there any reason I would want to individually override the BT or Nav inhibitions instead of both together?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 9 2006, 11:55 PM) [snapback]330472[/snapback]</div>
    Just that there are 'side effects'....

When you cut the BT you don't get the 5 minute bars displayed on the consumption screen and the wheels on the car display on the energy screen don't turn.

When you cut the NAV you loose the dead reconning ability of the NAV system and, therefore, some accuracy.

There wouldn't be any serious issues, you just have to deal with those limitations.

4. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 9 2006, 10:02 PM) [snapback]330474[/snapback]</div>
    OK. I can accept that.

But are there two possible mods or just one to effect the disabling? Is the mod done through the speaker different than that through the side vent?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 10 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]330491[/snapback]</div>
    I'll leave that for someone else, I've not done or looked at the one through the speaker.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 10 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]330491[/snapback]</div>
    thats a good question... one i don't know the answer to. however, darell's website (http://www.evnut.com/prius_speed_wire.htm) would seem to imply that the one through the speaker hole is the same as half of the other one (being one of the purple wires). I haven't gone in and traced the wires (nor will i, most likely), but it seems rather likely that one of the purple wires behind the vent goes straight up to the MFD while the other straight to the NAV.

If you want to be sure, take the dash apart and trace the bundle of wires... if part of it goes up to the MFD, then it's as i described... if instead it goes into some other object then from there to the NAV, then it may not be.

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 9 2006, 11:55 PM) [snapback]330472[/snapback]</div>
    The purple wire up by the center speaker continues down behind the air vent to the left of the glove box. It is the same wire so you don't need to cut it in both places. This wire by the speaker does not do both at the same time! Early mods to this were done in two places one was for the nav override and it was done under the driver’s seat. The other was for the phone and it was done under the speaker. Finally, someone figured out that both wires end up behind the vent. Then someone figured out how to put a toggle in the glove box for a very easy hidden mod. Someone else figured out they could use magnetic switches and used them under the radio. I was warned by my wife not to put a magnet near the CD player so magnetic switches behind the glove box is what I ended up with.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 9 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]330491[/snapback]</div>
    As others have mentioned, the wire up at the speaker is the same down below. To give you a bit of history, the wire cutting was done on the 2004-2005 models until the software version of the NAV override was discovered in July 2005. Then it was found out that you couldn't do that in the 2006. Cutting BT wire (this time near the speaker) was re-discovered and Darell put that on his site (he doesn't have the built-in navigation). An old thread describing the procedure came to light and Darell posted a picture from that at the bottom of his speed sensor override page. That's why it looks like there are two mods.

In short, if you only want the BT override, cutting the BT wire (and installing a switch) either up by the speaker or down at the vent will do the same thing. If you want to do the NAV as well, it's best to do both down at the vent.

9. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 10 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]330860[/snapback]</div>
    Eureka! That's what I wanted to know. Thanks (and to Cheap, and the others.)

Lots of people are saying DPDT. Don't you mean DP (two things to switch) ST (off or on)? I thought DPDT switches had three positions: Left-Center-Right. The back of the switch I want should have two pairs of double solder posts (4 total) and the switch clicks on or off. Maybe I'm wrong here.

10. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 10 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]330867[/snapback]</div>
    DPDT => Double Pole, Double Throw

DPST => Double Pole, Single Throw

DPDT may or may not have a "center neutral" position.

There is a larger variety of switches available as DPDT switches then DPST. You just use center lugs and EITHER both left lugs or both right lugs (and ignore the other lugs) for DPST action on a DPDT switch.

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 10 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]330839[/snapback]</div>
    as there any reasoning for this? CD's arent' a magnetic media, and a weak magnet like you would need to activate these wouldn't cause any harm to the CD player... believe it or not, your computer has some pretty strong magnets in it (in the hard drives) that are rather close to the CD player, and it works just fine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Oct 10 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]330897[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. The best advice is to simply know what you need to do (in this case that you're switching two wires, etc) and the different types of items that will work (DPDT, DPST)... then head over to radio shack and start digging through their drawers of switches. By not limiting yourself, you can end up with a wider asortment and be able to choose that which will look the best for your situation, even if you have some extra lugs left over at the end.

12. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 11 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]331085[/snapback]</div>
    Is there any reasoning for this? CD's arent' a magnetic media, and a weak magnet like you would need to activate these wouldn't cause any harm to the CD player... believe it or not, your computer has some pretty strong magnets in it (in the hard drives) that are rather close to the CD player, and it works just fine.
    Agreed. [/b][/quote]

If Moma isn't happy, nobody is happy! ;)