1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dr Prius Battery Detection attempt fix 2.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cheerioeg6, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Cheerioeg6

Cheerioeg6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi fellow Prius community. So my issue is that I am having a problems with my hybrid battery.

My prius is a 05 prius with 200k on it.

The symptoms. I have all of the three signs on my dash stating that it is a bad hybrid battery issue. I purchased the Dr. Prius app and after some diagnostic it said that i am having issue with block ten.
    According to what I found, Block ten for Gen 2 prius (03-09) is bad. So I replaced the cell battery with a new one that I found on the facebook market. I follow and replaced the block ten cell accordingly to the picture below. (is this correct? answer please)

[​IMG]

After re-installing it back in, I am still getting the same problem. You can see from my test.
    [​IMG]
    I plan on taking the hybrid battery back out and swapping ten out to block one and also moving block 11 and 12 with 2 and 3 to see if i am still getting the same issue and determine if I purchased a bad battery.

I have a harbor fright centech load tester and a multi meter (amazon) that i used to test my battery.
    From performing a load test from 7.5v to 6.5v to the old cell, they fall pretty fast. Which according to my research, when it drops fast it is a bad cell. I think i screw over with the two cell.

So, Im going to go with swapping out the cell on block 10 with block 1. If anyone can help me out it would be great. I have already cleaned the bus bar connector plate and nuts in white vinegar.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your voltage difference with replacement module is still bad... Might need a higher quality replacement, or maybe you replaced the good module of the two in that block? Also try better balancing the voltage.

Cheerioeg6 likes this.
  3. Cheerioeg6

Cheerioeg6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I end up performing a load test to balancing the rest of the 26 cell to match with the two new one which they test at 7.73v each and my oem ones tested at 7.86v.

Update: the load test and balancing seem to work out good. I passed California smog test.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, well done!(y)