1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dr Prius draining HV battery while testing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by monoc44, Feb 8, 2023.

1. monoc44

monoc44 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,

I ran today a "Life Expectancy Test" in Dr Prius on my 2006 Prius.

Test started by fully charging the battery by asking me the to push the brake and accelerator pedals at the same time for about a minute. Once battery was fully charged (all green bars), I had to keep the needle in the green zone for about 800 secs (don't remember exactly but it was long :).

Test was running smoothly for the whole time. But around 3 minutes left, I could see a discrepancy between what the test was reading from the state charge (displaying something like 40%) and what the MFD displayed: only 3 bars. And then, MFD displayed 2 purple bars and the engine kicked in to not let the battery drain too low I guess.

The test then stopped and displayed this message:
    "Error! Battery was somehow charging during test, accuracy was compromised.", scoring battery to 79.3%.

I am afraid that the sudden drop of the battery charge might be a sign of an issue with the battery. What do guys think?

Note that on the Dr Prius dashboard, everything looks "okay" (attached picture).

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The SOC number and the Dr. Prius "Life Expectancy Test" are not reliable measurements, as far as I'm concerned. They do give you a good general sense of things, but the failure of your battery someday is most easily monitored by the number in the center known as "Voltage Difference" between blocks. Every single pack failure I've seen relates to that number going up above normal and the higher that number goes the closer to a red triangle and error code you get.

3. monoc44

monoc44 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks @PriusCamper. Would you know what voltage difference is acceptable vs. is not? From the screenshot I attached in my last post, delta seems between 0.20 and 0.35v. No idea if that is an acceptable range.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yep, that's normal... Once it goes above 1 volt of difference your warning lights will start up.

5. monoc44

monoc44 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting enough, the original screenshot I attached was taken in parking mode. I drove the car and the voltage difference is much higher now in the blocks (attached picture).

It seems to me is the accumulative voltage difference at block level is not going to trigger the warning light in the dashboard but instead only the overall voltage difference between the weakest and the strongest blocks is considered (in my case, difference seems to be 0.10v).

Assuming I read correctly these data, I am wondering if a high voltage difference in a block is a sign of wear, hence ultimately leading to a high discrepancy between max/min blocks.

Attached Files:

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't really know the accumulative vs overall voltage aspects of all this and there's been a great deal of confusion/misinformation about when voltage difference triggers the red triangle. But I can assure you a pack that doesn't have a problem with voltage difference doesn't create a red triangle and doesn't go into safe mode.

Specifically voltage difference is most challenged when you have a high amp load going into or coming out of the pack. That's why it's hard to diagnose a bad pack when the car is just sitting there in ready mode. But you'll usually get warning lights when braking down a steep hill or once you get on the freeway because there's way more amps flowing and thus the voltage difference between blocks goes soaring on a failing pack under those conditions.