1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Dr. Prius Packs Less Than A Year Away?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by PriusCamper, Oct 28, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    IF a spare tire shaped, EV battery had been available for our Prius Prime and ‘sane’ TSSP, I might have kept it. But neither was practical.

Bob Wilson

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    or even just a spare tire...

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i have collected many hours of data from my NiMH prius ( at https://treecricket.com/vehiviz ) including the HV battery temperatures and HV Battery current. (on a npb pack).

if someone with LifePO4 could dump some data logs, it seems like we could compare the temperature fluctuations.

SFO likes this.
  4. Mirage42

Mirage42 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you give information about the tests in Russia?

SFO likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Everyone, if you've enjoy this thread and are planning to buy one of these packs the next shipment arrives in April and if you use my affiliate link to purchase: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw I'd greatly appreciate it. If I can help sell a couple dozen of these I'd have enough to get one myself. And I'm told the newest version has even more capacity than previous versions.

6. SinceGoogleCan'tTellMe:

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Two
    How long before you introduce replacement 2018+ hybrid Camry batteries?

7. SinceGoogleCan'tTellMe:

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, and also, I live where it gets up to 100F+ from early spring to late fall with 110F+ every now and then in between, and I, as of yet, am unable to store a car in the garage. So, I am very concerned about what temperature, excessive in particular, does to a battery from you guys, especially dealing with functional longevity. How long would a battery last outside compared to inside? I completely understand If you don't have a clear answer as of yet.

8. SinceGoogleCan'tTellMe:

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Two
    I propose a test of how long a battery would last in exposure to 90F to 120F, one or two batteries for every interval of 10F, before becoming unusable if a clear answer or close estimate has not been found yet, or maybe just a link to a source providing such information.

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    8 years and six months.

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd be happy to work with you and Project Lithium to make this possible. They're eager to do something like this in the long run and if we can work together we can accelerate this process. Of course I'm not sure how far from the west coast of the "American West" you are and that might be a major limitation on the process of working together. I'll send you a private message to get the conversation started.

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    High temps like that are where these packs were first designed, so that part should be fine... The testing process is pretty involved though so we'll see what the limits are. I sent you a private message and look forward to you reply.

12. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I live in the high desert and the temps range from below 32F-120F and I have left my Lithium Prius sit in high summer temps for a week or more and it drained without any start ups to maintain the HV battery.

I have over charged, shorted and drained this battery and it is still a beast and worth every dollar spent on it.

Only ever got it to two bars driving normally maybe 3 times in the time I have tested it and thats a little over a year.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just checked with them for you and he said in 3 weeks they'll have 2018 packs for Camry but he suggested you're still under warranty so might not wanna lose that.

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: Last call for these packs for 2022! Price going way up in 2023!

Project Lithium just got its last shipping container of packs. Jack estimates they'll sell out at $2170 price point in less than a few weeks. After that no more packs till 2023 because Port in China and factories are closed due to Covid and Jack's also looking at impossible 300% price increases in most of the raw materials due to supply chain issues, so basically shutting down sales till 2023. So if you want to get one these packs while they're still affordable and readily available now's your last chance.

Please use my affiliate link so I can get a little bit of money for my sales effort: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

These pack make Prius run in EV mode way more often! And improve performance in many ways. Have had one in my car for 18 months and is a game changer, especially climbing mountains!

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @PriusCamper

Post 94 says you've had a pack in your car for 18 months. May 3, 2022

Post 85 says "I'd have enough to get one myself" on March 1, 2022

Byron Casignia likes this.
  16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To clarify, pack currently in car is final batch of prototypes built for final round of winter testing in Fall of 2020. So it's not production version, which I'm told has slightly more capacity than pack I've been testing for past 18 months. And yes I wish I could afford a new one.

17. Stephen A

Stephen A New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Would it be possible to get or can some share the 3D printing STL files for the empty case of these NiMH packs?

18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 3D printed shells were created by the factory as a proto-type before standard injection plastic production models were created. Some of the measurements were off by less than 1/64th of an inch and missing temp sensor mounts for Gen2 and material was very fragile. So I suspect they'd be unwilling to share the file, but I'll ask.

19. DinoBravo

DinoBravo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've read through all 5 pages of this thread, I've possibly missed something??

Is the Nexcell using an internal BMS or relying on the the existing ECU for charge controlling?
    It's my understanding that charging lithium batteries below freezing temperatures causes damage to the battery.

In Hybrid Diagnostics Solutions video on youtube he tears down a Nexcell module. He removed a circuit board that he calls a "BMS" then corrects himself and call it a "balancer" which is it?

I've failed to see a BMS mentioned on Nexcell's website.

Is there any monitor in the battery or vehicle to prevent charging in below freezing temperatures?

Am I incorrect in my understanding of the charging of lithium batteries in the sub zero range?

#99 DinoBravo, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    PriusCamper likes this.
  20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's not a full on BMS, but there are electronics in module(s) to maintain voltage balance. Also version 2.0 of these electronics will be in next shipment of packs that arrives in November and am told that it's going to be revolutionary. Soon as I get more details, I'll follow up on your post.

As for below freezing charging issues. I winter tested these packs in this thread for two winters in a row and no issues below freezing. But we still lack enough data from the coldest places in the world to be certain. For example one person on PriusChat who is in Gunnison, Colorado says it gets down to -40' F and that's so extreme Project Lithium is not eager to take on that challenge, but it will eventually.

In general the known problem with Lithium packs having charging issues in a freeze is similar to all batteries and still trying to confirm, but am told Prius battery ECU has an extreme low temp shut off to protect NiMH from charging at low temps. Also of all the different types of lithium, the LiFePo4 type of lithium has the least problems with charging in super cold temps and in my research I have found that it's the preferred battery chemistry for scientists who have monitoring equipment on glaciers. So this charging in cold weather issue is likely adequately addressed, but only time will tell.