1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dr Prius question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ToyotaGal, Jun 25, 2022.

1. ToyotaGal

ToyotaGal Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

As most of you probably know about my last post about my friend buying a gen 2. Here is chapter 2.
    He ad it for 3 days and someone stole the cat from it. His insurance company totaled it because they did damage underneath.
    He had been messing with the battery from his first Prius. He used my Dr Prius and tested each cell to determine which ones were bad. Puchased new cells and installed and all was well until he hit mile 25. Yep the triangle of death again.
    Long story short he swapped out the hybrid battery from the totaled car and that car had a new non oem 12v battery so e swapped that out as well and put them in his old car. He drove it to my house this morning and just as he got here, he got the triangle of death. I pulled up the 0446 code cleared it and then he got the vcs light and the circle one. He took it home and found some wire that need to be cleared. No more ligts or codes. I went over there, and we took it for a drive while running Dr Prius.
    All 3 battery temps were about 113 degrees.pack voltage was running in the 220 range state of charge was running mostly 59 but sometimes hit 63. When were drove her for 24 miles I noticed battery temp 2 jumped to 120 and was in red. It got as high as 123. We turned on the a/c and it slowly started to go back down. I do not know how many miles we drive but it did go back to 113 degrees. We drove the car for a total of 60 miles. We took it on he highway while battery 2 was acting up.

Thoughts opinions?

He wants to be able to drive this car and take the time to find another used car.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Votlage diff... is the the number you want to pay attention to on Dr. Prius. As that number goes up the remaining lifespan of the battery pack goes down.

3. ToyotaGal

ToyotaGal Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If i remember correctly that number should be .2 or under correct. That number was under 2.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That number is constantly changing... Even a healthy pack will briefly hit .5 at some points. Once it stays up above .4 constantly problems are coming.

ToyotaGal likes this.
  5. ToyotaGal

ToyotaGal Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    good to know this. I believe I never saw the number go to .2.

what would cause a battery level to increase all of a sudden. It is my understanding all 3 areas should be withing 5 degrees of each other.