1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dr.Prius Results Normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ShahGAutos, Apr 22, 2019.

1. ShahGAutos

ShahGAutos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2006 Prius with almost 270k miles on it. I bought it a year ago from the original owner who took really good care of it. Full maintenance history at Toyota all its life. I’ve replaced the spark plugs, air filter, inverter pump, cleaned the battery fan, installed new 12v battery, and gotten new tires all the way around and replaced the front struts. Everything has been good until recently when on a trip up the hills (from Sacramento to Auburn CA) I noticed the battery going down to one bar. I grew concerned and turn the car around and headed back home and it performs fine in the city. However even on highway cruises it seems to drop to two bars at times and then charge back up to blue or green levels. The fuel economy on the display shows 43 MPG but the battery dropping so low is concerning. The hybrid battery was replaced by the previous owner in 2016 at 230k miles with a Dorman one.

Due to this I installed the Dr.Prius app but everything looks good to me as far as the voltage of the blocks. I’m not sure if the other values are normal or what the other bars mean. I’m going to attached screen shots. I just like to know if I’m going to need to replace my HV battery soon because I’d like to do that before it becomes a problem.

Attached Files:

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What you are experiencing is the early signs of hv battery failure;).

Dorman batteries don’t have that great of a rep around here as they are recycling used modules that are aging by the day:cool:.

I’d search around a bit for options, but know you are headed in the right direction (y).

3. ShahGAutos

ShahGAutos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for the reply! I was thinking that was the likely cause. That's unfortunate, but at least I know now. I have a few options I'm looking into. One is picking up a new unit from Toyota for about $1700 and installing it myself, paying $1600 for a green bean battery pack, or purchasing new modules from newpriusbatteries with the cylinder cell design. any advice on those options is also greatly appreciated.

4. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do not buy the green bean battery;).

The other 2 are MUCH better options :).

If you buy the @2k1Toaster pack, no core charge and you can sell the modules on Craigslist to the local crowd. Good luck and keep us posted (y).

5. ShahGAutos

ShahGAutos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you again for these prompt responses! Okay I'll consider the other two options. I know buying the replacement from Toyota is not plug and play either so I'll need to see what other components I have to transfer over and how. Also I know there is a core charge and idk if they'll accept a Dorman battery.

The new cells sounds like a great option however I cant find long term reviews of how well they perform. I'd like to not be pulling this battery back for a long time :)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Either the new Toyota battery or Toaster kit will run for many years without requiring attention :).

If you went Dorman, you’d get good at the activity you will be doing soon;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

7. ShahGAutos

ShahGAutos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm definitely staying away from the Dorman battery packs. I want something long term.

I'll keep the forum posted on what route I take and the results (y)

Thanks again for all the help!

Neural Net and Raytheeagle like this.