1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dr. Prius results: Weak Unbalanced Block on hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by travelinsmart, Oct 14, 2023.

1. travelinsmart

travelinsmart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 Prius. I’m original owner. 180k. Over the past year I made a lot of investments in the car, such as new tires, brake pads, new 12v and some other things.

About a week ago, my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. I received the P0A80 “replace Hybrid battery pack” code. I cleared the code by unplugging the 12 V and plugging it back in and have been driving around a little for about a week with no problems. Today I ran the Dr. Prius app Life Exoectency Test. The results were:
    25% capacity remaining
    Weak block detected #8
    Unbalanced block detected #8

I found a mechanic nearby who specializes in Prius battery maintenance & replacement. He said i could either have him:
    1) replace the battery with a refurbished battery and a 1 year warranty or
    2) replace block #8 (or the cells?? I can’t remember his exact language) but withno warranty, and for far cheaper than replacing the battery.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Money is tight, so I’m leaning towards option number two. Especially since I now know how to use the Dr. Prius app and if I have to, I can just have them replace more cells at a later date of more cells go bad. Is this a solid plan?

And how many miles can one drive around with 25% capacity left?

2. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What is the cost for options #1 & 2?

If you are planning on keeping the car for longer than 2 years, you should replace the HV battery with a new OEM battery, which will last for 10 years.

180k miles is about the time that some gen 3 Prius owners start to have a problem with the head gasket going bad, so you may want to plan on replacing the car within the next two years and choose option #1 or 2.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring