1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally need help... Red triangle, slow acceleration, high rev. C1310, C1241, Other U and C Codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by txexplorer, Sep 30, 2023.

1. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello I have been lurking this forum since I got my 2008 Prius last year in March. So far haven't needed any help that I haven't been able to find on YouTube or the forums, but now I'm stuck...

Long story short, I've put a lot of miles on my prius the last year 70k or so. When I got the car was around 136k miles now it's 210k. I've done a lot of maintenance work and has driven like a champ. I came back to Texas and it was a bit hot one day 100+ and I had left my dome light on all night. The next day drove around a bit and got Red triangle, check engine, VSC, etc.

The car drove fine at first then it would "switch" and rev high and acceleration was little to none. If I stopped at a light and tried to accelerate it would barely crawl. However, if I turned the car off and then back on it would drive like normal for awhile.

I figured this was a bad 12v battery so today I had it replaced at a Toyota dealership with an OEM battery. The car drove fine then within 5 minutes red triangle, check engine, etc. and acceleration slowed with high rev. I have the car home, and it still will drive normal for a little while if turned off and back on.

Here are the codes I have:

C0200 | Right front wheel speed sensor signal malfunction
    C0205 | Left front wheel speed sensor signal malfunction
    C1241 | Low battery positive voltage or abnormally high battery positive voltage
    C1259 | ECM Communication Malfunction (TRC Signal/Idle Up signal)
    C1310 | Malfunction in HV system
    U0123 | Lost communication with Yaw rate sensor module
    U0124 | Lost Communication with lateral acceleration sensor module
    U0293 | Lost communication with hybrid vehicle control system

It doesn't appear to be a bad hybrid battery because it charges and discharges fine. When I parked last it was almost fully green battery bar.

I have changed oil, cabin filter, cleaned the hybrid batter fan (wasn't really dirty when checked).

I had read about a 20 hem fuse somewhere? But I can't seem to find it.

Can anyone offer some insight or maybe a list of things I should check. Any help would be much appreciated!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    txexplorer likes this.
  3. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you point me to which ECU connectors or plugs I should check and where would they be located?

4. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I unplugged the battery to reset the codes, and started the car up. It cycled fine with no error codes. Everything is charging and working fine. It seems like the issue happens when driving for 5-10 minutes after everything heats up. Going to unplug the 12v battery over night and maybe drive it tomorrow a short distance to see if anything pops up again.

5. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing I thought of, I got an oil change the other day and they took my air filter out (it's pretty dirty) and I'm thinking the MAF might need cleaning. I'm going to do that tomorrow and get a new air filter. Might clean the throttle body too. We will see if that helps.

Edit: come to think of it, the errors were coming on before the oil change. But either way, it might need a cleaning.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You need a better scantool. One of your codes is "there's a problem with the HV system" but you have no codes from the Hybrid Control or HV battery ecu's.

Here's a thread that reviews several scantool apps and devices. Some are capable of reading codes and data from all systems on a Gen2 Prius.

I am not hugely concerned by the U-series comm error codes. Why? If the hybrid control ecu was completely offline, then the car wouldn't ready up at all.

https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

txexplorer and Brian1954 like this.
  7. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just ordered a Veepeak OBDII bluetooth adapter, and I'm going to do some tests after I get it tomorrow. (y)

bisco likes this.
  8. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I cleaned throttle body, whole air intake system, MAF sensor, new engine air filter. MAF sensor did look dirty had some particles stuck to it.

Did a start-up cycle and engine started, battery charged, no battery fan kick on and engine kicked off in ready mode.

No error codes with just sitting in park. I'm going to drive it in a little while down the block and see if any codes show.

bisco likes this.
  9. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Test drive didn't go well...

Didn't even go a 1/4 mile before red triangle, check engine, etc. came on. Battery fan came on, and Hybrid battery charge dropped from 5 bars down to 1 and didn't charge up to 2 after a few minutes. So I turned it off.

Going to have to wait till I get the code reader tomorrow and load up Dr. Prius to see what the deal is.

Maybe it's a bad ground, bad ecm or corroded connector somewhere. Really hope it's not a bad hybrid battery :(

10. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found a screenshot of a code error check from Oreillys last week that shows some extra DTC codes. I have since cleared the codes and still waiting on my OBD2 reader for the new ones.

But here they are:

P0A1D: Hybrid Powertrain Control Module
    P0A78: Drive A Invertor Performance
    U0100: Lost Communication with ECM/PCM
    U0111: Lost Communication with Battery Energy Control Module A

Didn't notice those P codes before.

Should get the code reader this afternoon, will update with any new codes

11. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ok, so I got only one battery code from Dr. Prius: P3000

Tried Car scanner and also got P3013: Battery module 3 fault

Here are the battery stats:

https://ibb.co/sRvgzrx

#11 txexplorer, Oct 2, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might be corrosion inside the battery case

txexplorer likes this.
  13. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Anyone want to buy my prius in the DFW area? Not sure I want to tackle all this. But we will see.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    put it in the for sale forum

15. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I spoke with Hometown Hybrids over the phone (they are awesome btw) and most likely is an ECU problem.

Ordered a new Hybrid battery controller should be here in a week. Will see if that doesn't fix the problem.

The one I have looks fine, there's no sign of corrosion on the plugs or cables, but they are cheap enough it wouldn't hurt to try. (y)

bisco likes this.
  16. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    While waiting for the new ECU, I decided to pull the hybrid battery out and inspect it.

Turns out, quite a bit of corrosion (Will post pictures soon).

Going to follow the steps to cleaning the busbars, bolts and cables in this thread:
    Corroded terminals, bus bars, and voltage sensor wire harness | PriusChat

Might be able to have my car up and running by Monday. Will keep you guys posted!

17. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Exactly this! Good call :)

bisco likes this.
  18. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Got the battery corrosion cleaned up real nice but still getting the same codes:

P3000
    and
    P3013

I'm hoping it's the Hybrid Battery ECU, getting the new one on Tuesday (fingers crossed).

Just like to add that after going through the car, removing the battery and doing other maintenance work on this Gen 2 Prius, I'm definitely going to keep it. It's such a great car and I'm having fun learning all about it. Many thanks to this forum and members for all the resources.

19. txexplorer

txexplorer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, I think the final verdict is in.

Module 24 was about .30 volts lower than the rest of the Modules at 7.77~. It was discharging faster and also acting wonky when load was put on the pack. The Modules on my battery pack are numbered backwards so Module 24 is actually Module 5 which is in Block 3. That would explain the P3013 (block 3 code).

Module 6 looks good, but I ordered 2 replacement Modules rated at 7.77-7.78 to swap out both in Block 3.

I'm going to wipe down all the Modules and case real good based on the recommendations of this post:
    Voltage Leak to Ground Fix | PriusChat

I'm about 99% certain this will fix my issues.

I may get a hybrid rebalance kit in the future, or I may continue to play the wack-a-mole game for awhile.

Either way, I like my Gen 2 and I can't wait to get my new Modules.

bisco likes this.
  20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't really make a lot of sense of your post. The blocks and modules are numbered as below, just so that we're all on the same page.

If the code is P3013, it is a module 5 or 6 in block 3, period.

Prius Gen II HV Battery module ID.png

Static voltages really don't mean much, you need to evaluate the modules when they have a load on them.

#20 dolj, Oct 9, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
    txexplorer and Brian1954 like this.