1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dr. Prius results

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sphil05, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Sphil05

Sphil05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a red triangle of death trip, so I got and OBD scanner and Dr. Prius. Everything looked pretty good at first, but when the battery was being charged like when braking or going downhill the pack voltage went way up, I think I saw 280v. Surprisingly, I haven't found a lot on high voltage when braking, maybe I'm not searching for the right terms. Is it trying to charge a bad cell? I'm assuming high voltage is bad.
    Appreciate and insight anyone's got!

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s an iPhone? When that screen is showing, press home and power buttons simultaneously; it’ll take a screenshot picture, much easier to see.

3. Sphil05

Sphil05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry - it is a screenshot on my phone but I was using a different device to get on Priuschat. I'll resend them. I should add the car has 192,000 miles on it.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Voltage diff. is the number to keep an eye on. When it hit .95v difference it thru an error code.

The super high charge and everything in red happens with battery packs that need reconditioning because they've lost near 1/2 their capacity and it makes total voltage soar.

If you lived near me and stopped by right now I'd put in a loaner pack and you'd be back to normal in an hour and you'd come back later to get your primary pack after I replaced bad module and recondition the pack and it would cost less than $500. But you don't live near me so it will be more expensive as shops can't reliably rebuild a pack to keep costs down when you likely run into more problems with it as it ages and fails again in 3 month to 3 years.

If you can afford a brand new pack they start as low as $1600 range, are easy to install yourself and will be trouble free for a decade or longer. You also can use you new pack in a Gen3 Prius if you current car doesn't last as long as the pack.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    edthefox5 likes this.
  7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correction: This member is selling an alternate battery cell replacement kit for $1600 USD including shipping to any of the mainland states.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah ok, thanks for clarification.

I’m keeping in mind, for myself in Canada, where shipping does apply. Unless I ship to a “post box” in Blaine, Washington (if doable).

9. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're expecting to be in the market for a new HV battery? NPB vs OEM HV? Price entering the equation?

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just keeping it in mind, no current issues. Interesting alternative for sure.

11. Sphil05

Sphil05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for your response! Wish I was close enough to take advantage of your offer, I will probably go ahead with an OEM from Toyota or reconditioned from greenbean.
    Hate to ask, but in the meantime is this an "eventually will fail entirely and stop working but you can drive it" sort of issue, or a "high voltage is going to fry all the electronics in the car" sort of issue? I guess I don't need to be overly concerned about the other cells if I'm replacing all of them.

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't know about that? Does that work in reverse as well? Is there a place in British Columbia that US packages can be shipped to with less customs/fees?

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve never done it myself, but I know some who have. AFAIK for Canadians the US delivery has to be to the US side of the border. For the battery, it would be $200~300 USD to my house, nothing if I pick up at post box in Blaine, 39 km and under an hour, according to Google Maps. Come to think of it, border’s closed right now.

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can clear codes as they come up and keep driving as long as your battery pack temperatures don't get too hot and the error codes don't change and all the readings look the same.

Basically it's all about how that bad module finally dies. If it starts to heat up you can damage the rest of the pack. Of course if you're planning to replace the whole pack you don't have as much to worry about destroying the pack, but not safe or wise to destroy the pack as modules can pop open and spill highly caustic elektrolyte all over the inside of the cover and that smell is not something you want to breathe.

Sometimes I have a hard time deciding which modules to replace on a pack so I'll just keep driving it and clearing codes until the symptoms get worse so it's easier to decide which ones.

Sphil05 likes this.
  15. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have at least one failed module in block 2. One of two things can happen. First is that the voltage for that block gets bad enough for long enough that the ecu sets a weak module code- then the car will go into limp mode with very poor performance or won't start at all. Can't really predict when that will happen. Second possibility is that the bad module overheats and "pops" (with a bang) and you have a mess from electrolyte as well as a disabled car.

A new battery is pricey but will give the best service. A "rebuilt" like greenbean (or anything else besides new) is made up of used modules. They may or may not have been reconditioned or matched to each other. Some on these forums have gotten a few years of service from a rebuilt, others only a couple months.

Realistically don't expect more than a year from a rebuilt- be sure to understand all the terms of the warranty.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Sphil05 likes this.