1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dr prius what does 25% capacity really mean?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Higgins909, Dec 19, 2022.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had the P0A80 (iirc) code for about 2 months now, I think. I just keep resetting it. I'm just wondering what this test result actually meant. Is it that there is just 1 module/block that is bad that gives it such a low score or is it the whole pack? I'm sure if I tried to do the test again, it would be much lower as the test was probably a couple months before that.

I'm trying to decide if I want to spend $200 on some used cells, $2,500 on a project lithium or look for a new vehicle. Probably just cells for now, but I wonder if this will help my problem described in the next paragraph.

In the summer, I'm not sure if its just what I call "hybrid limp" where the HVB is heatsoaked, but I've had many times where the throttle is really not that responsive at all. Couple times dangerously. I also get "v-tech" randomly around 45 to 55mph. Even after spark plugs and cleaning the EGR, intake manifold and whatnot, this hasn't been fixed. Every afternoon that I leave work and it's about 60F out, I pull out and it just doesn't accelerate right. I don't think it really ever has. It has it's own mind on how hard it actually wants to accelerate.

Does anyone know anything about either of these topics?
    Higgins909

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    P0A80 is detected based on voltage differences under load between blocks of the battery, but it would be a weird pack indeed if that turned out to just mean one block is weak and the rest are all spring chickens.

"Keep resetting it" is a thing you can experiment with doing until you can't; the car won't want to accelerate much, and the experiment may end with a bang and bad smells from the back, and a walk home.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    25% means a new battery or car. 2010, how many miles, brake actuator, head gasket, inverter

Grit likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Fix the HV battery and that will most likely fix your performance problem.

Unless you happen to get a complete set of used modules from a wrecked car, "just" replacing a few modules has a very high chance of setting P0A80 again. Might be in a few weeks or days. Might be immediately.

It has worked, 2 or 3 times that I have read about in 2-1/2 years. Usually it's "whack a mole", with different modules getting tagged as weak.

Some have had "success" cycling all modules with RC hobby chargers. Some with grid chargers. Others have given up and gotten some type of replacement pack.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Shocked how no one has asked if egr been cleaned yet.

burebista likes this.
  6. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    191k. Need to do a inspection next month, want to get it to next summer at least and decide if I need a real truck.

I have cleaned the EGR and a bunch of other stuff while I was in there. It was completely clogged as far as I could see. I got it about 80% cleaned.

bisco likes this.
  7. Abarnabe

Abarnabe Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would try to recondition the hv battery with a grid charger and bulbs to discharge, it' s the cheapest option if you make one yourself it will cost you less than 50 $ . It will likely bring the capacity from 25 to about 50 % for a few months, then you have to keep reconditioning once or twice a year.
    In dr prius look at the block with highest internal resistance, that's usually the weak one.
    DIY Grid Reconditioning Charger | PriusChat

#7 Abarnabe, Dec 22, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    Higgins909 likes this.