1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRAFT Transaxle Oil Testing Results

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bwilson4web, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would expect no less from the NZ transaxle. Unless something springs a leak and stuff is allowed to ingress into the transmission those things are pretty good All of my Toyota transmissions have been pretty good so far I've not had any of the finicky stuff so my opinion really doesn't count I kind of stick to the bread and butter transmissions like went in most Corollas and celica's and what have you

SM-A715F ?

2. stanny101

stanny101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think the best tranny fluid for the Prius is REDLINE D6, which is a Group 4/5 real synthetic. WS is not synthetic and the major brand so-called "Synthetic" ATF at the auto parts stores are Group 3 and have no synthetic base - AlphaPolyOlefin (APO) and PolyolEster (POE). Same with motor oil. 99% of auto parts store so-called "Synthetic" is only Group 3. Ok for the Prius but don't pay a lot for it. Kirkland Synthetic at Costco meets all the API standards. (Made by Warren). But don't got over 5k or as "The Car Care Nut" on YT says, you will have stuck oil control rings.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm not sure the tranny fluid is going to have much to do with the oil control rings We are talking tranny fluid here? Which is the CVT no shifting The requirement for the Prius is that the transmission fluid be non-dielectric or doesn't transmit electricity because it's going to be running around electric motors that are inside of the transmission where the transmission fluid is other than that there's not a lot of important things going on with the transmission fluid itself other than that standard If you don't care about that people have put regular Castrol or whatever brand CVT fluid in from Walmart or advance Auto and never had any problems until they were long gone from the car if it ever had problems at all I have Castro CVT fluid and two generation twos which have extreme mileage on them and no issues doesn't make it right I don't know If the Castro meets the Prius standard but I think it does.