1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drafting for MPG - Some Thoughts

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Mr Incredible, Apr 21, 2012.

1. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just one more post and I am done.
    from wiki:

Drafting or slipstreaming is a technique where two vehicles or other moving objects are caused to align in a close group reducing the overall effect of drag due to exploiting the lead object's [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream"]slipstream[/ame]. Especially when high speeds are involved, as in motor racing and cycling, drafting can significantly reduce the paceline's average energy expenditure required to maintain a certain speed and can also slightly reduce the energy expenditure of the lead vehicle or object.

To actually "draft" on the highway, you would need to be within a couple feet.
    Yes, you can actually draft on a highway, but you would not be drafting if you can see
    the trucks mirrors.
    Criminal with being 2 cars distance from a truck....damn criminals are everywhere!

The OP I thought didnt make any sense, but I was adding my "thought" as the title suggested.

2. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is one fact seems no one mentioned here: Big trucks break much slower than small cars. So it is much safer to follow a big truck than to lead it.

1 person likes this.
  3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Reaction times are a factor and if the truck slams into something in front of it the stopping distance is...ahem...reduced. Fatalities from submarining into the back of trucks is not unknown. Following too close the cause.

It's just not safe, don't do it.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are bandying semantics. Have you actually monitored instant mpg while drafting and following a diesel big rig then moved away from the truck? You don't have to be super close to benefit from reduced drag. You can be 15 car lengths or more behind a large truck and still benefit from reduced drag. Any further and you are just benefiting from reduced speed. :)

chicagoaficionado likes this.
  5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have not figured it out yet, ProximalSuns simply loves to argue. :)

2 people like this.
  6. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do not!

Doh!

Not counting this one:

Mr. Incredible 5
    ProximalSuns 5
    F8L 3

1 person likes this.
  7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :D

Good thing I like you or I'd throw up the ban smilie. LOL

8. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    One way rediculously unsafe. One way rediculously safe. I choose a middle path.

Hardly worth keeping score when you're the only one playing...

9. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    As an aside, I took a nice long drive on Saturday and made a moderately simple study of the type of drafting i was speaking about. The wind was directly behind me and I was able to increase mpgs as far back as 60 or more yards. Watching the scangauge and current mpgs provided the info.

I did not work close to the truck. Too unsafe for the windshield. I worked my way up from the back when the opportunity presented itself. No big deal, and when the truck hit an exit theexperiment went away, as well.

As the wind shifted, the pocket was harder to find until it all just faded away.

That's about it. The middle path. Extremes are for the young or argumentative. I'm certainly no longer the first, and try not to do the second.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure that applies to all big trucks, including the empty and lightly loaded ones to good tires and brakes?

Remember that some trucks do pass the surprise equipment inspections.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I wouldn't want to be tailgated by a semi, but semis blow tires, lose load and jack-knife so I wouldn't want to be following closely either.

Also remember that the people following you have to brake in time as well: the chain of fools makes driving more dangerous. (Which is another reason to leave a good buffer on a 2-lane road: you need to leave space so that your tailgaters can overtake you.)

At least if there's a semi following me the length and size means that there's probably only 1 vehicle to worry about. A good semi driver will leave a very large buffer because of the longer braking distance, but ignorant drivers are liable to fill it.

12. crebble

crebble Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As tempting as it is to get behind a semi for some free MPGs I tend to avoid getting too close. One rock into your windshield and you just lost any potential fuel savings and then some. My comp. deductible is $250. That would buy a lot of gas. I've also seen semis drop debris or straddle it, leaving not much time to react.

13. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree w/ crebble 100%. The benefits don't outweigh the risk.

14. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the buffetting is a sign that your Prius is in the pocket.

My commute is up and down I-95 from NYC to Connecticut and back, and when the opportunity presents itself I'd saddle up 6-7 car lengths behind a big rig at 60-70mph. During this, my Prius would be buffetted by some turbulence coming off the square end of the big rig, but I'd see the instaneous MPG reading improve by 5-10 or so.

I would never dare use cruise control while doing this though! :eek:

15. j_benj

j_benj Prius C Fan

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    you must live near me or in an area frighteningly similar. the freeways around here are so congested and full of aggressive drivers that safe driving becomes a real challenge. I've seen more accidents (several fatal) in the 7 mile stretch of freeway I drive on my commute than anyone should have to. people just have no regard for human life around here, at all.

oh, and the number of people I see weaving around in traffic at high speeds on cell phones with kids in the car is ridiculously high around here. frustrates me to no end.

16. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a name for those people, I call them AAOTRs (like the heart artery). It stands for Another A$$hole On The Road!!! I live on Long Island and see them all the time.

I actually came up with an idea once, but never did it. It was to mount a paintball gun in the front grill. When someone cuts you off, you just press a button and "mark" their car! :)

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think people overreact when they see the word drafting. We've discussed this ad nauseum over the years and most people agree that they "draft" leaving a 3-5 second distance between themselves and the semi. That is quite far in today's traffic standards. Any more than that and other people will move into that spot. I have found that after about 3 seconds the drafting benefit is diminished greatly but the blocking affect is still there and you will get better gas mileage by slowing down thanks to the blocker.

Here are examples of a 3.5 to 4 second following distance.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  18. priusandquiet

priusandquiet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I draft big trucks and I can not lie.
    You other brothers can deny,
    When a semi rolls by with an itty bitty pace
    And good Mpg in yo face
    You get sprung.

19. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually the single axle trucks(bed & front integrated) have much poorer braking than semi-tractor trailers. Those small front tires have poor braking ability when on a single bed. I much prefer to draft the single beds.

Once we were behind a semi tractor trailer(not drafting) that suddenly locked all its brakes because of something in front of him. Tho we were only going 40mpg, it was very very easy to outbrake him.

20. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That looks closer than 3 - 4 seconds when traveling @ 60 mph. I'm seeing 5 of the long dashed lines in the pictures, there may be 6 because of how you took the picture. If we assume 30 feet between strips, it would be somewhere between 150 - 180 feet, with you traveling 88 ft/sec. I'm guessing you are closer to 2 to 2.5 seconds behind.

Correct my bad assumptions as you see fit!