1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drag HP vs mph

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, Mar 18, 2017.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Do not let some fraction of a MPG prevent you from enjoying your car. Get the mudflaps, you need them and you will hate yourself if you don't.

Get a car that works for you, not one you need to pamper.

bwilson4web and Felt like this.
  2. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks. Yes, have decided on mud flaps- just interested to know whether it will just be only a fraction of an MPG, or possibly a bigger hit than that, and even whether it might increase wind noise on fast roads.

Most of my miles will be local, EV, and on slower roads anyhow.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I can see much chat about mudflaps and MPG, but no facts. I would not mar my car to save 1/10 of a MPG. (I personally stay on Paved roads, but if I was on gravel much I would get flaps)

If you mention it to Bob Wilson, he may do an A B test with and without for a 1000 miles for a result.

4. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Bare in mind the mud collecting (without the flaps) also affects aerodynamics:)

GT4Prius likes this.
  5. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    59 mpg at 77 mph is great. A Mega bus is much better than a semi trailer due to the lack of ground clearance with the bus.

When you were traveling 77 mph behind the Mega bus with 1 bar on the dynamic cruise control approximately what was the distance to the bus? Did you have trouble avoiding hazards in the road due to your close distance to the bus? I may have to try this again.

6. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If I remember correctly, about 2 years ago MythBusters did a test of wind resistance following a large truck. Fuel efficiency improved up to a point, then decreased if followed to closely. It was explained that fuel was wasted trying to stay too close (slight acceleration and deceleration) to maintain the close distance.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My 1200 mile drive home was on one bar and no problem dealing with road debris. But really use what feel good to you.

There is a 'burble zone' when following trucks too closely where the drag falls off preciously. One bar is about two car lengths beyond that sweet spot but DONT DO IT!

You have no margin to deal with debris and the load on the driver is terribly fatiguing. Seriously, wait for 'platooning' systems.

Bob Wilson

8. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What is 'platooning' systems?

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They are vehicle-to-vehicle communication systems where the lead vehicle shares information with the following vehicles:
    • braking and acceleration and speed of lead vehicle is transmitted to the following vehicles
    • one done right, lets the following vehicle know about road debris so they can avoid it
    • an appropriate 'charge forward' goes to the lead vehicle (they are paying the aerodynamic cost!)
    • a 'fair scheme' to shift order so lead truck; following truck(s); and cars
    • directional clues so steering keeps everyone in line
    Vehicle-to-vehicle communication is critical to making 'platooning' work safely at interstate speeds.

Bob Wilson

#49 bwilson4web, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I get it. Thanks. That is what Car and Driver did when Honda asked some auto journalists to go on a long drive in a mpg competition with the then new 2 seat Insight. C&D asked if drafting was allowed. Honda said yes. So C&D used a Suburban with swing out rear doors and attached plywood to each door in the opened position to make a large air block for the Insight. I believe they used radio communication and had visibility to the inside of the Suburban. Their mpg was significantly higher than their competitors in Insights who did not draft.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. Prime8

Prime8 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I tried the same trick today with a semi. I set the following distance to 2 bars, 1 bar that I used on the bus was too close for comfort. The semi's that dragged me today were averaging 63mph, and my fuel economy was about 58.5 in hybrid mode. Total trip was 360mi, fuel economy for the entire trip was 62 after judicious use of EV on surface streets and regen on mountains. 1700 mi on the car in these first 2 weeks averaging 64mpg. Meets or exceeds expectations.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't it be much better to use what @bwilson4web is doing (in his avatar)?:confused:

13. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can't find a magnet that big.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought that proper 'platooning' needed to be under computer control, not human control.

15. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    0.5% reduction in MPG.....They have did R&D on Prime......this is for rear mudflaps......

16. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    3M plastic paint protection is much better and almost invisible

17. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    As an exercise (to myself mainly) I have taken @lroki 0-60 test for EV on wet ground with some slip at the beginning, see here , multiplied all results by a small factor that brings the 60 mph to 11.8 seconds, which I assume would be the result on dry and no slip.
    Calculated acceleration power vs speed from these results, added total drag power vs speed from the EPA data (see first post here).
    Results are shown in the chart:

Prime EV 0-60.jpg

Vehicle mass: 1550 kg.
    Max power is ~63 kW @ 42 mph. putting mass as 1590 kg will raise max power to ~65 kW.

Max power available in EV dual motors drive is 68 kW.

Just an exercise.

#57 giora, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    bwilson4web and EV-ish like this.
  18. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Still trying to get a handle on the raw EPA data that Bob pointed out ..

Now that the data columns are not mangled, I can see the Coefficients. I filtered for the Prius Prime and show one row below:

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 7.11.29 AM.jpg

The colored cells are each original value multiplied by 4.5, to convert to newtons.
    I know that Bob warned against attempting to pigeon hole a Coef to a real force, but I'm bothered by Coef B always being a larger contributor to the final result than Coef C since Coef C would presumably (?) model air friction.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've always used the Target coefficients as my understanding is the Set coefficients are used to change the dyno operational parameters along with the weight. Still it is worth researching.

My other shortcut is to use 746 W per HP. So I calculate in SAE and then convert to standard units.

Bob Wilson

20. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Look at the headings. Set coefficients are not dimensionless, to get rolling resistance (force) at certain speed, multiply the B coefficient by mph. To get aero resistance (force) at same speed, multiply C by mph squared.
    Or, work with target coefficients which are dimensionless.