1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dragging caliper? (2005)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Desert Flier, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been poking around and thought I'd throw this out there. I have a 2005 and the right front brake pads are worn down to 1/8" inside and outside. The left front pads have almost no wear at all. These are Powerstop pads and rotors with reman Cardone calipers and all components have just under 40,000 miles on them. Rear brakes were also changed at the same time and are wearing nicely. Immediately after installation the car did pull a little to the right when braking hard and the right rotor ran a little hotter than the left (about 20F degrees). But, that problem went away within 500 miles so I never looked into it further. After the first 500 miles, there has been no pull with or without brakes being applied and no pulsating at the wheel. Both wheels turn freely when jacked up with no noticeable resistance. Also, both the inside and outside pads are wearing evenly. The original pads went 150,000 miles. Thoughts? (besides never use aftermarket calipers :unsure:) Sticky piston? Both slide pins hanging? Hardware? ABS? Does the issue still exist? Change pads or pads and caliper? (also I do have a Toyota Tech computer and I used that while changing the brakes).

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ever since I had a story like that giving me fits on my Gen 1, I made a vow I would always check the caliper piston return even on a caliper straight out of the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Note: Gen 1 calipers were cast iron, so a dial indicator magnetic base would work. More cleverness would be needed with the later generations' aluminum calipers.)

Desert Flier likes this.
  3. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I still haven't gotten to changing the pads yet but at the least I'm going to eyeball the return on the calliper this time. Thanks for the reply!