1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Draining Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Surly, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Surly

Surly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have a 2012 Prius C that has been placed in storage status with insurance (do not drive) and has been sitting in the driveway for 5 months and will be in that status for another 15 months. I have been charging the 12V battery once a month along with making sure the tires are inflated to max pressure. My other concern is the half full tank of gas. I just started it up after 5 months and it ran with no problems. Ideally I would like to drain the gas out of it and refill with a couple of gallons of fresh treated fuel (fuel stabilizer) and run it for a few minutes to make sure the treated fuel gets into the fuel system before letting it sit for another 15 months.

Has anyone had success yet in draining the tank?

I have several pieces of tubing from a fluid extractor and have attempted to go through the fuel filler unsuccessfully. It appears that the tube hits a blockage such as a screen or gets caught up in the corrugated filler tubing just before entering the fuel tank. I have tried flexing the corrugated filler tubing by the tank while someone was putting pressure on the extractor tubing and it may have gone in a little more but ultimately no success.

Was hoping someone had come across a somewhat easy way of draining the fuel, otherwise I'll just take the car out of storage status for a week and drive it until it's almost empty.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Get full insurance for a few days, drive the gas tank down?

FWIW, our 2010 was built in August 2009, and we bought it in November 2010, with about 15 kms on the odometer. Didn't even think about the gas, and everything seemed fine.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with a battery that old, i would add stabilizer now with some fresh gas, and run it as often as possible, even if its just sitting in the driveway. maybe hit the brake and floor the gas to recharge the battery every now and then.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you do ever add any gas I would try and get the non-ethanol (usually sold as premium at some places) You should have less water absorbing into the fuel. I would still treat with stabil or something just as a precaution also. The non-ethanol has a slightly longer shelf life. I would also start the engine and run the ac from time to time to allow for oil to get distributed around engine. Get an oil change as soon as you can once you start driving again.

5. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just came across this video on how to drain fuel out of a Prius tank for those who are still interested in the subject.

But still wonder if there is a simple way to do it, such as putting the car in maintenance mode and turn on the key?