1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drama-Filled Company (CR article)

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by KennyGS, Mar 16, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't miss shifting gears, loud engines and horsepower since i was a teenager. i realize i'm in the minority though, since even many tesla fans like 'being thrown back in their seat'. :rolleyes:

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And it's an assumption that parts would just disappear if Tesla went out of business. New Deloreans will likely be available soon, built from the stock piles of parts leftover from the original's bankruptcy.
    DeLorean Motor Company | New DeLorean Production Update | DeLorean Motor Company

More realistically, one of the majors will snatch up Tesla for the battery supply alone, with the Supercharger network being icing.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    There's even parts from the now-bankrupt coda electric car, that was carried by a few dealerships around here. China managed to put a body on it that looked like a 1979 Corolla - so yeah, it's sold poorly.

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Totally agree.

5. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All you have to do is look at the data to PROVE that alternative, sustainable energy impacts climate change positively when compared to fossil fuel.

I fully support hydrogen as a sustainable alternative energy, but unfortunately it is not viable at thistime. I am critical of Toyota because they are not putting the financial resources into making hydrogen into a viable alternative. At this time, hydrogen is too expensive, too inconvenient, and too fossil fuel dependent for delivery. Consider this:
    "Let's look at the success of the Mirai. Sales started in 2015. In no year has sales exceeded 2000 units. Total sales over 3+ years: 4815. Data from: Toyota Mirai US car sales figures

Amount California spent on boondoggle H2 stations: $200M. Amount California provided in rebates to car (Mirai) owners: $23M. Amount CA shelled out per car (Mirai) so far: $46K. That's on top of the suckers (I mean Mirai owners) who bought one of these lemons. Current MSRP is $58K for these - yikes. And you can't drive outside of California, since other states were not foolish enough to waste money on stations."

You can agree with this analysis or not, but hydrogen is not a viable alternative at this time. Toyota is doing nothing to make the Mirai a compelling choice in the marketplace. I suspect they refuse to offer a BEV alternative because they are committed to the very culturally Japanese characteristic of saving face. They find it hard to admit that they were wrong about hydrogen fuel cells for personal transportation. Toyota, of all the legacy auto makers, should be the leader in electric vehicles for personal transportation. They had that opportunity 10 years ago, but instead bailed on Tesla and gambled on hydrogen instead. They lost that gamble. Toyota can still get back in the BEV game but they refuse to do so. They are still committed to ICE to maximize short-term profitability.

I applaud your commitment to rescuing small animals. I too am a dog lover and owner too. But this is a subject for a different forum.