1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drastic drop in MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by WV Farmer, Feb 4, 2017.

1. WV Farmer

WV Farmer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you read This Thead Yet? -yes

- What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations) 30+/- a few

- What fuel economy are you expecting and why? Normally in the mid 40'

- What are the approximate outside air temps? 10-40 depending

- How long are your trips? Short 1-2 miles

How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here) 7 years original

Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear? OK

- How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving? 40 miles average speed

- What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.) Steep hills

- What are your tire pressures? 35

- Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick) no

- Make, model, year, engine and transmission of previous car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.) 2004 Lexus RX330 - 17 mpg Still own

- What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location) West Virginia

- How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking? gentle driver on gas and brakes

- What modes are you using, if any? "normal", EV, power, eco? ECO

- Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on? No

- Are you driving using D or B mode? D

- HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to? as required

- Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15).

- If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, oil change/other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute? No accidents

The last 2 months the MPG has dropped significantly from the mid 40's to around 30. I know we live in the mountains, it is winter and we don't drive it only a mile to town. I have 95,000 miles on a 2010 Prius 3. I saw in some questions/answers discussions about the battery. Are we talking about the small battery on the right aft trunk or the battery pack. When I start from a stop, the battery pack doesn't seem to give it much of an initial start. I must admit that I didn't drive the Prius during the past few winters as we lived abroad and it was parked. Could my problem be in the battery? Would it be a good idea to have a computer diagnostic run on the car? Nearest Toyota dealer is 60 miles away so I don't just want to go there unless I can get some good info. Any advice would be welcomed.

2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most posts I've seen recommend changing the 12v battery every 4-5 years. Since yours is 7 years old, seems like it could be time to replace it.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Short trips, 1~2 miles, are a killer.

Kramah313 likes this.
  4. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Drop in weather temperature , a MPG killer

5. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At 1-2 mile trips, the heater may be running the engine more and refusing to let the car shut off. When it's cold it takes the engine longer to warm up anyways, even more so if you are venting the heat into the cabin. With those short trips it wouldn't take much extra engine time at all to drop from 45 to 30 mpg. You could try one trip without the heat on at all to see if it helped. Note it still may be worse than usual because your engine will be operating at a lower temp and probably never warm up fully.

6. MAGARIVAR

MAGARIVAR New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    you hay have a leak?