1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drawer in Console?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RBW111, Mar 28, 2005.

1. rflagg

rflagg Member

Our console stores my bf's Glock. Fits perfect!

-m.

2. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

If you (DanMan) mean the outlet inside the console, the slot near that is for a power cord for something plugged into the outlet. This would allow you to extend the cord out of the closed console and keep your phone (or other accessory) plugged in.

I haven't seen a slot near the outlet below the glove box, so I think this is what you were asking about. Hope this helps.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dan,

no idea. Some have used it for valet cards. I tried putting pens/pencils but that didn't work. My phone won't fit. Maybe it's for a PDA?

Jim,
    I know the Camry allows you to charge the phone with the power outlet inside the console and leave the phone outside but I can't do that with the Prius. There isn't a gap for the cord to squeeze in between the lid and box.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just went out and took a look, Dan, and I can't find what you're talking about. Though I did find something interesting.

Just to the left of the shifter, behind and slightly below the wiper-wand, there's a thing with four raised bumps and green lights on either side. I pushed on it and it went in. It's as though something is meant to be inserted there, perhaps to make the car run, but I've never had to put anything in there and Priapus has always run. Hmm.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony, open the centre console, remove the tray so that you can see the whole box. At the front of the box, above the power outlet, you can see some sort of niche. It's rather thin.

6. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

TonyPSchaefer, that's for the fob if you don't have SKS, or for your fob if its battery is dead.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony was joking.

8. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

Sorry, kneejerk reaction. I thought TonyPSchaefer had been around WAY too long to need my response, but I got caught up in the moment. I'll go enter some phone #'s into Voltaire now, and slowly walk away from the computer <g>.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, I was joking. It's easy to have a dry sense of humor when all you're doing it typing.

Like Tideland said, I found that the slot in the center console fits two pads of valet cards rather nicely. Other than those, I couldn't find anything that fits "perfectly". Especially since, if memory serves me right, the shape is actually trapizoidal, getting less wide at the bottom than it is at the top.

Also, I think I checked the manual specifically looking for a mention and couldn't find anything about it.

dan, don't you have all the mechanical drawings and electrical wiring diagrams for the Prius? Is there really no mention of this in there?

May we should start a thread asking for pictures of the most interesting use of that space.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it was made for the V3 Razr lol

11. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I thought it was for a pack of tissue. But I can't find one that fits!

12. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It holds about 5 CDs in their jewel cases.

13. Stocky

Stocky New Member

Hi DanMan32

I have a 12V adaptor plugged into the outlet for my bluetooth Nokia 6230. The phone slides nicely into that slot in the centre console ahead of the outlet, so that is how I am using it.

14. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    CD's-------OF COURSE!!!!

15. babesp

babesp New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    A couple of "boxes" of books on tape (yes some of us still use them....) can be placed at the rear and then a square box of tissues can be placed in the front sticking up for easy access!! (keeping the drawer open). I do like the dog biscuit idea as well :)

16. canuckican

canuckican New Member

1) Tissues.

2) A micro-fiber cloth for wiping off the front console (because every other cloth I used left lint on the rough black surface up by the windshield).

3) A small automotive "emergency" kit so I don't have to exit the vehicle to get at my other supplies in the back.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    RBW111,

I have found a small pack of Kleenex tissues that would fit in the lower pull-out drawer so they do exist. Keep looking!

18. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I found the center counsel lower drawer when I was reading the owner's manual but though that the drawer was supposed to go out the back. When I didn't see the drawer in the back I figured that it must be something for the base models and that there was something in the pkg.#6 that was taking its place. So it did end up taking a week to find the drawer in the front.

I store all my charging gear in there, 50 watt inverter (i have to plug it into the socket under the glove box since the combination of the inverter and any charging adapter ends up taking up taking up to much room in the the glove box) and standard plug type charges for my PDA, Phone, Laptop, Blue tooth earpiece, camera batteries.

Since I spend more time either in my car or away from home I figured it would be better to keep all these things in the car , and with the inverter I don't need to buy special car chargers for each piece of equipment.

I store the PDA on the velvet lined "shelf" in the center counsel. Other than the PDA I haven't found any other unique storage uses or areas, yet.

19. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I take that back, I put my Nokia 3550 in the DIN slot under the CD Changer. It fits nice and is velvety lined. At least until I put in the DVD/MO3 AUX video unit! :mrgreen:

20. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Holds my digital camera... when I remember to take it..