1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRCC emergency stop at 70mph

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by raspy, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While that's probably true in a number of cases, if I may play devil's advocate and say,

It's pretty hard to memorise ALL the features for all 17 or 18 Toyota models (trucks, cars, hybrids, SUVs and one minivan). I'm not saying it's impossible. I'd like to think I know quite a bit about most Toyota vehicles (and I will readily admit I know pretty much zilch about Tacoma or Tundra so I'll be that ignorant fool if someone asks me about the those trucks).

That being said, they all have to go through training (usually watching a video) and hopefully they took notes cause they have to pass a test (but that's right after you watched the videos). I will say, not knowing the difference between, say, LED and HID headlights or the difference between navigation units is pretty bad. But not knowing the tiny details, I'll let it slide cause it's difficult to remember all of it.

krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.
  2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Curious as to what's the percentage of gen 4 Prius came with advanced technology package either as standard or as option. I think it's only about 5 or 6% of all gen 3 Prius had the advanced technology package.

3. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've owned my 2017 Prius Two for about a month now and I have one major gripe regarding DRCC... The changing display when operating is very distracting and could actually result in driver distraction (IMHO). As a programmer in the field of HMI, the popup displays need to be optimized to only popup when something is actually going to affect the obvious operation of the car. Of course a verbose mode should be available to test functionality.. An example of useless popups is the appearance and disappearance of a lead vehicle when the speed does not adjust... Wish I new who to complain too!

alexgrigori and RCO like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I totally at. If they are still monitoring @Prius Team is the Toyota US marketing team responsible. You may wish to try and PM then if they do not respond here.

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree - most of the time, I don't look too much at that screen - the HUD gives all that's needed for normal driving.

But, if I've merged, or the vehicles in front of me have done some shuffling, I will sometimes glance to check if 1) it's lost view of the car in front; or 2) it has actually tracked onto the vehicle in front - particularly if it's a trailer, truck or motorbike which can be a bit hit and miss. If I had to shuffle buttons to bring up that display every time, that could be dangerous.

kithmo, RCO and Harters like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you use the HIS screen, the popups can be very distracting & confusing. The only way around that is to only use the almost useless cruise control screen.

RCO likes this.
  8. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not have a HUD.

RCO likes this.
  9. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As much as I favor "human-in-the-loop" control systems rather than fully automated systems, I will defend the fully-automated systems in this case by pointing out that they can have an almost-instantaneous response time whereas the average human requires about 1/2 second to mentally process the danger signal and another 1/2 second to execute the motor response of applying the brake. Thus the auto-brake system gains about a full second in response time versus the fully alert human. But the second advantage is that the automated system never has lapses in attending to the developing situation whereas the human is quite often momentarily inattentive. How often have you caught yourself looking up to suddenly see a car stopping unexpectedly in front of you?
    Conversely, if the human is trained to look and diagnose traffic situations at the farthest possibly forward visual focus point, s(he) can use the wetware to plan and start to execute an accident avoidance maneuver far in advance of what current automated systems can do as they are typically limited to 1 or 2 car immediate look-ahead .

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed - while test-driving (salesman still behind the wheel), we were in a VW with AEB (etc), he was in traffic merging into steady traffic off a slip lane, glanced at the traffic coming to check he would merge neatly, and the car in front, for not obvious reason stopped, and the AEB very indelicately hit the brakes HARD. Without AEB, he'd have hit the car.

Robert Holt likes this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I accept the main thrust of your argument, but reliance on the Prius system fails to take into consideration it's potential to cease functioning for reason(s) unknown at any time and without advance warning. This may be rare, but not unknown whether for electro-mechanical reason or simple operator error.

Raytheeagle and Robert Holt like this.
  12. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Absolutely agree! As a private pilot, I would not use any automated system for flights under about 2 hours as I feel such use decreases situational awareness. (For long commercial flights, mental fatigue is clearly important and justifies judicious use of automation.) Similarly in Prius, the supplemental safety of adding safety systems like auto-braking helps when the driver is momentary distracted or cannot react quickly enough, but I feel that such systems should never be used as an excuse to have the driver out-of-the-loop. Other folks differ on that, obviously!

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately, the person I know who worked on code for the Lexus LFa hasn't been with Toyota for over 10 years...

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget that these systems are simply not yet sufficiently comprehensive to handle all the situations that we drivers encounter.

While these systems are better than humans in many situations, the human-in-the-loop is still essential to cover the many holes and corner cases that the machines are not yet adequately programmed to deal with.

15. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In other words, AI is still too stupid in many cases. :LOL::ROFLMAO::cool:

kithmo, RCO and Robert Holt like this.
  16. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Stupid" makes it sound like it is the fault of the AI, which is unfair to the dumb computer running the code--maybe "insuffiently programmed AI" would point the finger more directly at the humans ultimately responsible for the situation ?
    Speaking of which, I firmly believe in a "glass box" rather than a "black box" approx to AI, and I would REALLY like to see the basic rule set in the Prius's ECU, because just as in some airplane automation, the Prius AI will occasionally surprise me. As a pilot or as a driver, I strongly dislike not understanding what my copilot is doing and the AI copilot cannot be verbally queried, at least in the systems I know.

kithmo and RCO like this.
  17. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Forgot the </s> tag. :(

RCO likes this.