1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRCC Freezing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by dhancock, Jun 18, 2012.

1. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We’ve been running into a problem with the DRCC on our 2011 Model 5. In simple terms, the DRCC freezes – locking onto car in front and activating the beeper/hitting the breaks – even when no vehicle is ahead! So far, this has happened once to my wife (when she was making a 90 mile trip) and 3 times this weekend on a trip from Rochester, NY to St. Paul, MN.

In all cases this has occurred as the car was passing a semi, when the front of the car was even with the semi’s drivers door. In one case, there was no car in front – just acted like there was one. Whenever this occurs, the car continues to brake and the only immediate solution is to turn off the Radar. Also when we re-engage the DRCC, the unit is still frozen – braking for a non existent vehicle. No problems turning the DRCC off and using the ordinary cruse. What seemed to “clear” the condition was pulling off the Interstate and turning off the car. I also noted that (after it had froze again) that when the ambient temperature had dropped below 90 degrees that the DRCC cleared. The first time my wife ran into this was hot too.

In summery, this has happened only when:
    • · Passing a semi
    • · Temperature is high (above 90).

I don’t believe that it is an alignment issue, as I’ve been amazed at how narrow the radar pattern seems to be (and very nicely tracks the steering).

Right now, we are in St. Paul for a week – so taking it to the dealer will have to wait a bit.

I did a search here on “DRCC Malfunction”, “DRCC Problem” and “DRCC Freeze” but didn’t find a problem like mine (with the unit freezing).

Any suggestions/comments?

2. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Update;

First, let me clarify my earlier post above. DRCC is part of the Advanced Technology Package that is a option on the Model 5 Gen III Prius (it was my primary reason to purchase the Model 5). It is Toyota's Brand Name for Adaptive Cruse Control. Basically, when using cruse control, it will automatically track any vehicle in front of your vehicle and will switch the cruse control to a constant distance mode to maintain a safe distance (which you have control over) from the vehicle ahead. If the distance gets too short (or when another vehicle suddenly pops in front of you), it will rapidly decellerate and .flash/sound a warning. In my case it would act as if another vehicle was 10 feet away - even when there is no vehicle at all. This creates a dangerous situation when you are traveling an Interstate at 75mph, passing a Semi and with someone tailgating you (expecting you to finish passing the Semi).

I've contacted both my dealer and Toyota over this. They will do nothing as the dealer was not able to observe the condition (it happens intermittently under limited conditions). The dealer found that no codes were thrown by the DRCC system - so, without those codes, there is nothing they can do. Of course, both the dealer & Toyota loose track of the fact that the system must be programmed to recognize specific malfunctions and to THEN generate an appropriate code! It appears that the system ACTUALLY THINKS that there IS a vehicle in front that this is an entirely NORMAL operation.

This is the typical HEAD BURIED IN THE SAND problem that has got Toyota in trouble before! :mad:

3. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the same feature on my Toyota Sienna limited with DRCC. My only problem with it, is when dirt, bugs, rain or sometimes direct sunlight or a combination of these hit the lens, then it will sometimes give me an E error code. It just shuts off the system no braking is applied.

Clean the lens and see if that helps.

FYI- I also added a plexiglass piece in front of it to keep from getting the road dirt from sand blasting it and making the plastic pitted. It will also save it from a direct hit from rocks.

my2cents

4. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The lens was clean (first thing I checked when it happened). It was a bright sunny day when this happened. Also no error codes (just acted like there was a car in front). I have had "normal" problems with the DRCC in the winter where the lens is covered with ICE. I have also found that when it is raining that water thrown up by a car in front can make that car invisible to the radar with no error codes.

5. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the radar system says there's something in front of it, how do you expect the computer to know that it's erroneous and store a code? There are lots of ways for such a system to fail, and not all of them can be caught by the computer.

In addition to checking the Toyota emblem in the front, did you pop the hood and check behind it, as well as the front of the radar assembly (big box behind the emblem)?

I think you should go to the dealer and insist that they perform whatever alignment procedure is in the service manual. It probably won't resolve anything, but at least it removes that as a possible cause. Then, next time it happens, take it to the dealer without powering it off, and insist on taking somebody for a ride to see what's happening.

6. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Exactly. Without the code Toyota will do nothing!

No, because it performed normally after shutting the car down - at least it performed fine till the problem re-occurred an hour later.

I wouldn't want them to do that as normally the alignment seems perfect. I doubt that the dealer can do as well. It is pretty clear to me that the problem is some sort of interference from the Interstate trucks that we were passing.
    That is our plan. HOWEVER, every time that this has occurred we have been on a long trip so we can't take it to our dealer. When it occurs we will have to locate a dealer, convince them to look at it (which could be a battle in itself), and make it to our night's destination.

My real point is that Toyota treats potentially serious problems like this as an annoyance. A logical approach would be for them to swap out the radar unit and check it out under high temperature conditions. But they would rather just ignore potential safety issues.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "My real point is that Toyota treats potentially serious problems like this as an annoyance." It is an annoyance. An intermittent electrical problem is tough to find. It doesn't appear to act the same way every time you pass a truck at 90F.

"A logical approach would be for them to swap out the radar unit and check it out under high temperature conditions." If your unit checks out are you willing to reimburse them? What if the cause is a transmission from the truck?

"But they would rather just ignore potential safety issues." Stepping on the gas disengages the DRCC. Did you report each instance to NHTSA?

As this happens why not call SC to at least get a record of the problem?

I don't use the CC much but haven't experienced this.

8. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The likely "cause" IS an RF emission from the truck. The DRCC should (and probably is) designed to filter out such emissions. However, if there is a cold solder joint or an IC with impurities, the unit can FAIL to perform as designed (and still not throw error codes). (I have an electronic engineering background including complex circuit board manufacturing experience).

I did call Toyota Customer Car several times about this. Unless it throws a code, or the dealer observes the failure (meaning that it has to be locked up when they look at it) they won't do anything.

Stepping on the BRAKE (not the GAS) disengages the DRCC - BUT if someone is tailgating me this failure can result in a collission (Imagine cruising down I70 at 75mph, truck ahead going 5mph slower, pull out to pass before DRCC captures the truck, no car ahead in the passing lane, meantime, another car doing 78 approaches me and follows a bit too close in the passing lane. He expects me to pass the truck and pull back into the right land and he will continue on his merry way - when SUDDENLY, for no apparent reason, my car SLAMS ON THE BRAKES!!!!!

I am in the process of reporting this to the NHTSA.

9. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you're on a trip, perhaps you could stop at any Toyota dealer along the way to get it documented? Undoubtedly, they wouldn't have the replacement part in stock, but perhaps if one dealer witnesses and documents the problem, your normal dealer would be willing to start replacing parts?

10. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's the plan (besides filing with the NHTSA).

11. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    UPDATE:
    Last night I filed with the NHTSA. You can see my filing here (put my ODI record number: 10471467 in the search box. I also found two other DRCC complaints. One is similar to mine (involves semi tractor trailors). It is ODI number: 10448415.

12. ssinner2466

ssinner2466 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I posted this earlier in a different forum ...

The same thing happened to me yesterday while on the freeway taking an interchange. I had cruise control set at 65 mph, disengaging it as I approached the interchange that slows to 35 mph due to the curve. I was coasting when the car suddenly braked, internal warning light flashing, alarm beeping and seat belt locked up. I was alone in the car (thank God) with no cars behind me or in front of me.

I immediately took the car to the dealership only to be told today that they couldn't find anything wrong and that I am more than welcome to take a drive with their technician to see if I can replicate what had occurred. SERIOUSLY?? I asked if they had checked the data on the EDR (Event Data Recorder) and they said there was nothing. Shouldn't something like this be recorded on the EDR?

I can't understand why the Pre-Collision System (PCS) would act as if it were trying to prepare for impact if there was nothing if front of the vehicle. This is a serious safety issue. I could have been rear ended or lost control of the vehicle.

I haven't read the NHTSA filing above but will do so in a moment ...

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ssinner2466, we answered your post in a different thread with likely culprit(s). Better to wait to see if it happens again than be an alarmist.

14. ssinner2466

ssinner2466 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks dhancock. I filed my complaint ODI# 10520768

15. ssinner2466

ssinner2466 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks 32kcolors. I don't mean to be an alarmist but in the event something "horrible" happens, I want it documented that this was brought to someone's attention.

16. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My problem was quite a bit different than yours. But the fact that both the dealer & Toyota want to ignore these problems is no different.

In my case it was strictly a DRCC problem - not a PCS problem (though there are common components in the system). Mine only occurred when passing an Interstate Semi and when that happened the DRCC system locked up (system kept "seeing" a vehicle in front - when there was none). Last, it only occurred when the temperature was high (around 90).

We haven't had the problem since last August, but we haven't driven it much in hot weather either (living in Western New York). Other than this issue I have been very happy with the DRCC. I've particularly been impressed with how accurately the radar is aimed (can easily observe that the beam is aimed by observing the display as I change lanes to pass a vehicle).

17. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With my other Toyota vehicle that has "laser" cruise control, you have the option to use "normal" cruise control. It will be stupid for Toyota not to put the option. I don't have the ATP package though. Does your cruise control have the option to use "normal" cruise control? Using "normal" cruise control is engage manually in this mode. I prefer this because I hate hearing the sudden increase in rev when it tries to go back to the set cruising speed. Try this. Turn on cruise control, if it has the lever type that Toyota always use, push the lever down(not to decelerate or accelerate) for a few seconds. it should flash a light saying normal in the dash and then set your desired speed. From there, you can use it like the usual cruise control operation.

BTW, radar has a wider beam pattern than laser. It may still be picking up the semi even if you where on his side. Truck drivers may have other gadgets in the truck that might cause jamming or interference as well. Now a days, there are so many electronic gadgets in a vehicle that emit radar signals and one of those are the blindspot sensors you see in a highend or fully loaded equipped vehicles.

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, we have that option in the ATP package.

Several members have commented on that. It's actually more fuel efficient for the CC to quickly accelerate back to the set speed (outside of manually operating the car a la pulse and gliding).

I've never had that problem.

19. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    • First, what Toyota is it that uses a laser for Adaptive Cruise Control? I suspect that it uses Radar too.
    • Second, I find that the effective beam angle of my system to be pretty narrow.
    • Third, I am well aware how to turn off the DRCC and use just the normal cruse control. I am not a "dolt". However, I paid a lot of money for this feature and, as I indicated in my most recent post, I like it. When the DRCC did Freeze, I did turn off the DRCC and when later I turned the DRCC back on it was still frozen. Only shutting the car down, or in one case, when we drove into cooler temperatures, did it release.
    • Lastly, if trucks have all these gadgets and are emitting signals, then the DRCC system should be designed to block those out. Having an electronics & electronics manufacturing background, I suspect that the DRCC does have circuitry to block these and (as I said in my original post) that there is likely a cold solder joint that acts up when it is hot that is causing that filter to fail (and causing my DRCC to see a "phantom" vehicle).
    What frustrates me is Toyota's lack of concern. It is this type of "Head Buried in the Sand" attitude that has got them into trouble before.

20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A very reasonable and likely hypothesis. Hope you can get it resolved.