1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRCC manual override

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Lwirmo, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Lwirmo

Lwirmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Really like the DRCC feature. However I wish the radar detection range is a bit farther: while cruising at HW speed 60+mph, if the car in front of you is beyond the radar range and it is slow moving at 10-mph , the car won't slow down until it is in very uncomfortably close range. I don't want to test the collision avoidance feature and always press the brake to slow it down quicker.

I have noticed that when I did the override, the car would jerk forward a little bit, as if the brake assist was completely disengaged. Logically it makeS sense since it just shutoffs the DRCC but I would much prefer it continues to use the radar to monitor the car in front and assist the braking.

Do you guys feel the forward jerk also?

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember that at all times you are the driver of the car. You are allowed to operate the brakes before the car thinks 'hey, buddy. Better start braking now!.'

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's probably possible - but you'd pay for it - and it may not be as useful.

The problem is, the further ahead the detection is, the more false detections it will get, particularly with bends in the road, items on the side of the road. An object twice as far is only - is it only 1/8th as big an image for the DRCC to "see".

It also has to not only see the vehicle, but has to determine it's speed too.

I think it's a good compromise the way it is, relying on our eyes for events like you've described.

RCO likes this.
  4. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It was probably slowing more than you thought, but obviously not enough for your comfort. The only way I can think for the car to "jerk forward" when cancelling DRCC is if you canceled while it was applying regen to slow the vehicle. I have certainly experienced that. Cancelling DRCC also cancels any braking it is doing, however light it may be. This is all assuming your foot is off of the accelerator at the time.

On the one hand, if you take back manual control you take back ALL control. There's no cooperative control. It can't "assist" because what it thought was correct apparently was wrong or dangerous -- or else why would you have reverted to full manual?

On the other hand, if you have DRCC then you have PCS (pre-collision system). Even if DRCC is off or was recently cancelled, this other system is ALWAYS monitoring the (same) radar data and it will step in if it thinks an actual collision is impending. It will either auto-brake (hard!) or try to make any braking you're already doing more effective (harder!). This system is even more conservative than DRCC, from my experience, so if you don't think DRCC reacts quick enough then you likely will intercede before PCS gets truly worried. (I think there's a sensitivity setting for PCS you could change.)

kithmo likes this.
  5. Lwirmo

Lwirmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All valid points. I guess it is just I am not used to the feeling that when I was applying the brake, the car would jerk forward. The first few times I overreacted a little (poor guys behind me). Your comments reassured me that it is a "feature" rather than a "bug". I will probably get used to it over time.

RCO likes this.
  6. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I quickly press the cruise off button on the stalk before I crash.:LOL: Then the car slows down.

RCO likes this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or, you could just pull the cruise control stalk forward you. It has the same effect except you can later reset cruise control to the junk yard once you get past 25mph with an upward tap of the stalk again! :sneaky:

'LectroFuel likes this.
  8. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That's interesting, Lwirmo. I feel that the DRCC follows too far away. I set the range to one bar, and routinely find myself pressing the accelerator to close the gap. You can do that, accelerate with the cruise control On. When you press the brake it turns Off until you Resume. I find myself annoyed by drivers in front on me tapping the brakes, i see brake lights flickering for no apparent reason. I think sometimes the cruise control functions on new cars are doing this. Too bad Toyota can't offer a "downtown Oakland setting", that would be about 20 feet.

L'ectrofuel - the DRCC Will bring you to a complete stop before you crash into the car in front of you. That's one it's primary functions. It's kind of scary, but trust it. IT does work.

9. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not really about feet it's about seconds. Next time you have a chance can you count off how many seconds it is following behind the car in front of you, and if the number of seconds is consistent at different speeds. I would certainly hope that it is staying at least two seconds back, three is even safer.

RCO and wrprice like this.
  10. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm not comfortable with "one bar" of following distance unless traffic is crawling slowly. Two bars seems good for Houston urban traffic when it's flowing. Yes, people are going to cut in because they don't know or care what "safe following distance" is, but with two bars the car handles it well. At one bar, DRCC is much more likely to brake heavily.

RCO likes this.
  11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think so most of the time - unless that vehicle is moving. I've tried it out and it keeps going more often than not without showing that it's locked onto the vehicle - that's when either I intervene and brake if it's shown no sign of braking (or PCS tells me to do so - but I prefer to be one ahead of PCS).

RCO likes this.
  12. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I use radar cruise control almost everyday. But when traffic slows very quickly to a stop, I'd rather slam on the brakes myself than let the car do it for me. Of course, the car behind me may be following too close and the DRCC may brake too hard. Then I'm rear ended. Sometimes the DRCC stops the car a little too late for comfort even in the farthest following setting. Better safe than sorry!

RCO and tucatz like this.