1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dreaded ABS Actuator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusman0323, Jul 16, 2019.

1. priusman0323

priusman0323 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bought 2008 Prius with 110,000 about a month ago. Triple threat warning lights (ABS, !, and VSD) came on several days ago. Error codes seem to be C1256 (Accumulator pressure low), C2318 (low voltage error), C1391 (Leakage of adaptive cruise control). Mechanic is saying they need to replace the ABS Accumulator Unit. Part alone is 1800 bucks and about 500 for labor. Can't decide if I want to pay this or look for cheaper part. Does anyone have experience with the Dorman ABS Control Module? Is that the same thing as the ABS Accumulator unit? Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are going to pay for the labor, you only want to do it once. You'll have to suck it up and go for new.

If you are going to DIY, you can experiment with a cheap used one. Only time you'll waste will be your own (and it won't as much). A used unit could fail just like the one in your car.

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A 2008 Prius does not have adaptive cruse control. The mechanic is probably using a generic code reader. I don’t know if would make any difference but Techstream is the Toyota software that’s designed to talk to the car.
    The Dorman has a lifetime warranty but if it does break again you would still have to pay for labor. I don’t think it’s been out long enough to judge it ‘s longevity.

SFO likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Second time I've seen that posted on PriusChat, somebody using a non-Techstream code reader where whatever underpaid flunky had the job of copying the fortune-cookie descriptions to go with the trouble codes mistook ACCumulator for "Adaptive Cruise Control". So that's actually what comes up on that reader's display for that code.

If you have too much leakage in your adaptive cruise control, you may need to top up the cruise fluid.

SFO and Skibob like this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm actually in the process of replacing the brake actuator in my 2005 with a 2006 donor unit. There seems to be quite a lot of disassembly just to get to the brake actuator. Once I got to the donor unit, I realized this is an older model with a rounded top edge on the actuator. I think the newer units have a flat edge vs an older model with the rounded edge.

Since I'm doing a DIY job, I'll install it. I don't know how long it'll last, probably a year or two if I'm lucky.

Taking the darn thing out was no easy task, many brackets/hoses/wires/brake lines were in the way. I have not put the thing in yet, but I'm sure it won't be easy.

$500 labor sounds just about right

#5 JC91006, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So you had to remove the actuator from the donor vehicle?

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I removed it from the donor vehicle. Gave myself practice in taking that area apart.

This is actually the 2nd time I've parted out a Gen2 Prius, but on the last part out, I didn't take the actuator out as I had no use for it back then.

The one tool that I thought was the most helpful was having a battery powered wrench by Milwaukee. That's compact in size and it helps tremendously in removing all the bolts.

Raytheeagle and Patrick Wong like this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is great. Did you remove the inverter totally or did you manage to work around it somehow?

I have not needed to do this job because the 2004 never had a problem in that area while the 2007 had the actuator replaced under the extended warranty.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you actually have a failure code on your 2007? My 2005 cannot maintain pressure but it has not coded yet. It will turn on a couple times while stopped at a red light. It would've been nice to have a warranty replacement on this part.

The brake actuator is pretty big and heavy. You must remove the windshield/wiper cowling and the entire inverter to get to the actuator.

The actuator is mounted on a big plate with a weight on it, to reduce vibration. If you've ever felt the weight of the inverter, the actuator and mounting plate feels about the same weight.

During the disassembly there was a lot of brake fluid that drained out. I think when I do the actual install on the 2005, I would have to catch all the fluid. I don't want to getting all over the place, especially the rubber hoses.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yes on the failure code.

Actually, pretty much all of the electrical brake components have been replaced on the 2007 under warranty: the brake stroke sensor, the skid control ECU (both parts when the car was only a couple of years old); and the brake actuator a couple of years ago under the extended warranty that Toyota offered on that part.