1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dreaded flat tire and I dont like it a bit :(

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Sanjath, Nov 24, 2012.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was there last weekend brutal roads, i don't know how the cabbies do it.

Phatlife likes this.
  2. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bisco, I just recalled that at first the tread separation "whumping" would be less noticeable when I drove off in the morning and the tires were cold. As the belts heated up over the first several minute of driving, they would expand and then the "slack" would exacerbate the whumping effect as it kind of slaps the road surface at each rotation. As the separation got gradually worse, it was more noticeable right away in the morning when I drove off, and at that point the tire was getting very close to complete tread separation.
    Alternatively, a very out-of-balance tire (as when a balancing weight is completely thrown off the rim) can also "whump", and even create uneven tread wear if you let it go long enough, so have your tire folks done a good dynamic balancing?

3. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    cabbies have mechanics on duty and tires are not low profile tires.. I'm sure they get volume discounts on purchases on car repair.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't taken it in yet, that's the next step after inspection, thanks!(y)

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. Karl Goh

Karl Goh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    i-Tech
    saw a spare wheel for sale that came off subaru legacy for $5. gonna make sure with the seller that it isn't post 2015 legacy models.

Tire size T135/80D16 101M
    Wheel size 16 × 4T

Hope it fits.

i had a spare from my 1991 Toyota Celica GT-Four (All Trac) and the spare was grinding against my 2004 prius front brake caliper.

Rear was fine tho. offset didnt quite match it