1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dreaded head gasket failure on 2012 Prius V

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by D’rae, Sep 5, 2019.

1. D’rae

D’rae New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi all, I love(d) my 2012 Prius V—it has served me well for almost 140k miles...until it started shaking on start-up & sometimes idling. Took it to the dealer to diagnose and they said the head gasket failed and is leaking coolant into the engine. Quoted me $3700 to replace due to it being a labor intensive job. Oof!
    I call my mechanic and he quotes me $1900
    To replace the gasket but warned that
    Replacing head gasket on high mileage cars is risky because you can never tell how vulnerable the engine is after that and may into problems down the line. I call Toyota back and ask if that sounds right, and they said it was because they can’t tell how much damage was done to the engine.
    So anyways, my options are repair (which I’m now leery about), find a low Mileage Prius engine to replace it, trade it in, or sell it as is.
    What option is best and what would you do?
    Thanks for reading!

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My question is how mechanically inclined are you? If you can do your own repair, it’s about $400 in parts and chemicals to do it. Maybe you have a family member that is mechanically inclined. Toyota and your mechanic are under the impression the engine must be removed for the repair. It can be done with the engine in the car. That will cut the repair time by 70%. Look it up on YouTube. It’s not hard, just labor intensive.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

LKQ

did you drive it much after it began shoeing symptoms? any dash lights?

4. D’rae

D’rae New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Regrettably I did drive it after the shaking started for nearly a week. I called Toyota and they said it sounded like an issue that was going to be covered by 150k warrant so i wasn’t too worried. Made my appt and drove the car all over the place. It wasn’t until the “check engine light”
    Came on one morning that i
    Zipped right into Toyota. And initially they STILL said it was the warranty issue and a dirty intake valve or something. They came back with the bad news a day later-d’oh!

5. D’rae

D’rae New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not at all sadly. my car-handy friends aren’t too Prius-saavy either. You’re correct—they both said the engine would have to come out or “partially” come out and both lamented how labor intensive the job was. What bothered me is the grave tone they both had—like “is it even worth it to you to fix?”
    So My son turns 16 next week & i was happyily dreaming that he would take over the V and drive himself to classes and practices and it sucks knowing there’s a pretty big obstacle standing in the way of that now. So do ya think it’s not as dire of a fix? I was looking at Prius engines on eBay in case I damaged my engine too much already. Will they be able to find out if I had without taking the whole thing out? Thanks for your help! I’m an overwhelmed mom trying not to meltdown over this and I appreciate your input!

bisco likes this.
  6. Prius4Life!

Prius4Life! New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm having the same issue on my 2012 Prius V. The car has over 170,000 miles on it, but other than the current engine problem, it looks and feels almost brand new! I sure would love to see some input here as to what the best option is. I'd hate to have to trade it in, but is that going to be cheaper by far than either rebuilding the engine or buying a new rebuilt engine for it?

7. BoydG

BoydG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I used K-seal from Amazon for $12.97 and GM Cooling System Seal Tablets for $6.52 and that took care of my problem that the dealer wanted $4,700 to fix. Just added two of the tablets (crushed) to the overflow coolant bottle. A few days later I added the bottle of K-Seal to the overflow bottle. The engine light that was on went off after adding the tablets and the shuddering was less often when starting the car. After adding the K-Seal the engine shuddering (cold soak rattle) went away completely. A couple of months later the shuddering started to show up again periodically. I got in touch with K-Seal and told them that the shuddering had started to come back and they immediately sent me another bottle at no cost. That took care of the shuddering.

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We ran a Dodge Grand Caravan that evidenced a factory crap rear bank head gasket failure at just 3+ years and less than 30,000 miles right out to its 120,000 mile end on a single bottle of Barr’s Leaks.

9. Firebird-Supra-Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2012 Prius started doing the same thing at 220,000 miles. After determining that it definitely was a head gasket problem I decided to do the engine swap, due to the high mileage on my engine. I believe that although swapping the engine is a lot of work, it requires less technical skill than doing a head gasket.
    I was able to buy an engine from LKQ junkyard, with only 19000 miles on it, for under $1,000.(it was local so I saved several hundred on shipping). And did the swap myself. Granted I have quite a few years of wrenching in my background but I am not a pro.

10. Firebird-Supra-Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is little harm in trying the mechanic in a can solution since the engine is toast otherwise anyway. But if the rest of the car is good I believe an engine swap is worthwhile.

11. ColoPriusV

ColoPriusV Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you go with the "mechanic in a can" route, may also want to inspect your intake manifold for oil and EGR for evidence of carbon build up since either or both could have conspired to cause your head gasket problems. Should also know that a blown head gasket can destroy your catalytic converter, depending on how much coolant went downstream.

12. swamijg

swamijg New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    WOW, I hate to say it but, I dont trust anybody except me when it comes to my wifes prius v its a 2012 with 147000 miles on it. recently it started shaking and making noises when I started the car, iI took it to a repair shop near my home, I was told the engine needs to be replaced! then I took it to the dealer, they said the heads can be resurfaced for $4,000-$5.000 or I could buy a new engine for $8,0000-$10,000 YEA RIGHT ! First of all this car has never overheated period! so none of that made any sense to me at all, and how can I drive this car 80-95 Miles per hour smooth strong and solid like a brand new car if the heads are blown? LOL People think we are stupid and I wasnt buying it, so to make a long story very short, I was watching youtube and this guy had the same shaking and stuff going on he was a real gearhead and took most of the engine apart to find the problem, I noticed that he said he had the fuel injectors cleaned for $176.00 which helped but didnt solve the shaking when starting the car, I went to the dollar store and bought some fuel injector cleaner 3 bottles @ $1.75 each and some "Sea Foam" motor treatment, I had never used this before and its $10 a bottle I bought 2 and put about 6oz in the oil through the cap and the rest in the gas tank with less than half full of gas, started the car it shook a little then I drove it like never before, I reached the cars top speed of 107 mph and cruised for a few short minutes watching out for the police while stepping on the gas in burst releasing the gas pedal and then pressing it all the way to the floor,did this for about 30 minutes off and on , once again, how can this car drive at 107-108 mph with a blown head gasket? IT CANT! they Lie, cheat, brake and sabotage people who are like sheep or cattle living in a daze or something dont be stupid research for yourself take the time to learn about your car from youtube and the like, theres is so much good data out there, anyway, We havent heard a peep from the car when starting early in the cold cold mornings ever again, clean your injectors, quiet your engines insides with Sea Foam in the oil case and in the fuel take, Like I said I have

13. swamijg

swamijg New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    no connection with the Sea Foam product company this was the first time I saw it in the dollar store lol
    and thats in the oil case and the fuel tank! A clean engine and clean fuel system will keep your car running smooth, think about it , the injectors are clogged the upper engine has sludge and grit and grim in it and when the engine first starts up that comes into play its hard to start up smooth and quite when your engine cant breath or get fuel on demand with dirty clogged and sludge filled compartments in your engine. Clean it up! from the inside! Peace be the Journey

swami