1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dreaded idiot lights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by denson1932, Mar 9, 2021.

1. denson1932

denson1932 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Our Prius with 125K miles had noisy rear wheel bearing hubs so i ordered an EBay set...they looked well-made and smooth as silk.. unfortunately i also ordered new pads front and back because my eyesight is fading fast and i may not be able to do it soon...The rear hubs and pads went good the front even faster...Yes i disconnected the 12V battery before starting and i loosened the M/C cap while squishing the front calipers. No i didn't mangle the rear sensor connector wires and yes i firmly re-seated them onto the new hub assemblies. I pumped the brake pedal before hooking up the 12V battery. Only thing i did wrong was close the hatch lid so i had to reach in from the RR door and hook up the 12V negative cable. Anyway the noisy bearing noise is gone the brakes seem fine ( the old pads were not even bad...they still had 40% left. But of course nothing is easy when you get old so now the ABS the Traction lock The Brake and also another IDIOT (ME) lights are on. I was hoping to increase the value to $5K by fixing the rear bearing noise so we could sell it but now it is only worth $3K again. What really ticks me off is that 'Toyota Maintenance' guy from overseas has a UTube video on front brake pads replacement and he NEVER mentions the 12V disconnect! He must know something i don't.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Hope you didn't damage the brake accumulator

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    when we did the egr cleaning on my car at a meet up, I didn’t disconnect the 12v lead either. Got poo poo’d on here for not doing that. Guess how many youtube videos & tutorials on say to do so?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not only that, I hope you didn't blow up Argentina, either.

But seriously, why not just ask the car why those lights are on, and figure out what to do next? After some brake work they often are on for minor reasons and the steps to address them can be fairly simple.

If you don't have a scan tool that can read the trouble codes, you can use the jumper wire method and count light blinks, and post the codes you get here.