1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dreaded red triangle, check engine, ABS, VSC, (!), Time to sell for parts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sarahs, Nov 13, 2022.

1. sarahs

sarahs New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    After just paying $1200 last week for new struts and a couple other repairs to pass my state vehicle inspection, today while driving on the highway my dear ole '07 Prius had a bunch of serious lights come on. I felt the car's level of acceleration suddenly decrease a bit, but made it home. I am guessing based on the lights and feel of the brake pedal that there is something wrong with the brakes.
    I replaced my battery (the BIG one) in 2019- not cheap!- and since then have also replaced the coolant control valve, struts, and mind you still have an *intact* catalytic converter- something to write home about these days it seems.
    Given that I continue to pour money into this beloved old friend, I am bracing myself for the reality that it may be time to sell/trade in. My car has some exterior damage (substantial dent to a corner of the hood - a lovely wink from the car, if you will- and a scraped side). So, I don't think it will be worth much $$ to sell/trade in, however with such a new battery I'm wondering: Does anyone here know how feasible it is to sell the battery on its own? Are there reputable sites/companies that buy these? What about the catalytic converter?
    Greatly appreciate any insights anyone can offer. THANK YOU!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you should find out what's wrong with the car before thinking of selling it. Did you buy a brand new hybrid battery in 2019 from Toyota? Or is it a refurbished battery?

As for the dent in the hood, you can buy another hood for just a few hundred bucks. Not a big deal at all.

Don't sell the car cheap, the parts are worth good money now.

sarahs likes this.
  3. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not enough info. How many miles? You will not get good money for it with bad lights on so fixing might be the best option even of you decide to sell. But is seems you like the car so fixing and keeping is probably a good course. Time to get a code reader and learn about how to tell what the car is telling you. Or pay a shop to do it. But with the apps available and cheap bluetooth OBD readers I suggest doing it yourself. This community will help, we all have been in your situation and the advise is free!

sarahs and Another like this.
  4. sarahs

sarahs New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I appreciate this outlook, thank you! I bought a brand new battery in 2019 from a dealer.

5. sarahs

sarahs New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    133,000 miles. The other thing I didn't mention is the combination meter decides not to come on about once every once in a while, so I also figure Ill have to replace that at some point, which I understand is at lease 1K. What app do you recommend for this DIY diagnosis? Love this Prius community support- thank you!!

#5 sarahs, Nov 14, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2022
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We don't know how serious those lights are until we know more about which of the couple hundred reasons those can light up for. Some are way more serious than others. That means getting the trouble codes.

Here is a thread that reviews some different options for getting the trouble codes:

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

As for the ABS, VSC, and ((!)) lights, if you do not have a scan tool that can read those codes, there is a way without a scan tool, as described in many posts here, like this one.

sarahs likes this.
  7. sarahs

sarahs New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update: It turned out to be a problem with the engine due to a bad mass air flow meter sensor. That, along with an induction cleaning of the throttle body and a new engine air filter, added up to about $700 with P&L.
    Above mileage is a typo, the car has 183K, not 133, oy- my error!

Crossing my fingers the car can make it another 20K at least. In the meantime, I'm going to order an autel maxi ap200 scanner.
    Do you all still pay the shop/dealer for diagnostics or just tell them what codes you found?

Thanks again!

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $700? Holy Moly. Mass air flow sensor cleaner is less than $10 a can. You spray it on and bam, all clean. Takes 5 minutes. Cleaning the throttle body another 5 minutes. New engine filter $25

All in 10 minute job for amateurs, a pro can do it in less time than that.

Maybe you had a $600 diagnostic fee

9. sarahs

sarahs New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    $155 diagnostic. They had to replace the sensor, not just clean it

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even with the replacement, the labor cost is extremely high for this easy job. Was this done at the dealer?

Well the good thing, you put $700 in and got a nice running car back. No need to sell it for junk value.

11. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are not afraid of picking up a wrench or screwdriver once in a while and can handle some tech there is a lot of money to be saved. First off, get a bluetooth OBD reader for less than 20 bucks and the torque pro app for your phone. Watch some videos on how to set it up, need to download some stuff and make screens for critical info. While watching videos look into basic maintenance stuff. Cleaning/replacing the MAF, cabin and engine air filter and if you feel brave cleaning the HV battery fan. If you want to get involved there are times to pay a mechanic and times to diagnose/repair yourself. If not you are still welcome here to ask for opinions though. We are a great group, one of the best!

12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you can remove the Combination Meter from the car (youtube), you can send it out to be repaired (or swap it with a repaired unit that has your odometer reading programed in it).

Google TexasHybridBatteries.com

Much less than $1k

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.