1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drill, baby, drill,,oops!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by icarus, Apr 28, 2010.

1. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And so, now fully four months have passed, and what have we learned?

I have learned how quickly tragedies like this revert further and further back in our reality.

I have learned that there are a lot of opportunistic politicians around the Gulf Coast ready to do anything and everything to support their politics regardless of what is the "right" thing to do.

I have learned that there are lots of folks who don't like academics/professorial types until it is time to actually do something that actually needs brains, education and training.

I have learned that there are plenty of folks who hate "big govment" but feel free to call on that self same government to "do something!"

I have learned that even a disaster of this scale doesn't even rate more than a blip in our willingness to change our behavior and look to create a rational energy policy that moves us away from this kind of energy, toward a sustainable energy future.

I have learned that corporate greed trumps doing the right thing everytime.

I have learned that inevitably this will happen (in some form) again, and again, and yet again!

Perhaps saddest of all, I have learned that we as a society have learned little or nothing from this, and before you can bat any eye we will indeed be Drilling, baby Drilling!

It really makes me sad for our grandchildren!

2. ThePriusMan.com

ThePriusMan.com Waiting for my Prius

Portland Oregon - No Global Warming Here!
    Model:
    II
    No affect, Valdez had no affect, the Coal Mine Disaster had no effect..

Money drives it..
    Pure and simple

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If you are determined to see only the down side you will succeed. I don't see it quite so dismally.

1) The response of volunteers and hired workers made a huge difference. A lot of hard work paid off greatly. By focusing on just a couple of major politicians and ignoring the thousands of workers the real story of overlooked. They are now educated first hand on oil drilling consequences. There is a long term, but under the radar effect of this widespread understanding.

2) The MMS will get overhauled. Remains to be seen how much, but the old days are over.

3) Drilling in the Gulf will not return to business as usual. Keep in mind that a whole lot of areas (close to Florida) were to be opened and leased. No way this happens as originally envisioned.

You know its a mistake to look to politicians and industry for the changes needed, so don't look there. Look at the "below the radar" movements that don't get media attention, but do show up as major issues and legislation changes over the next few years.

1 person likes this.
  4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not that I am determined to see only the down side,and indeed you make a couple of good points. Seeing events from afar make it difficult to get any local insight. Let's praise the positive,and work to eliminate the negative,,, maybe.

5. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wish I could be more optimistic, but Americans still are buying more and bigger gas guzzlers at an alarming rate.

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We learned the new boss is the same as the old boss. That MMS is corrupt and does not protect the interest of the people. That BP is a bad corporate citizen and values speed above safety. Oh wait, we knew that before.

7. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "drill baby drill." Well after this whole oil incident, who disagrees that sarah palin is an idiot

8. doodwithacomputer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two seperate issues here, the drain on non-renewable energy and the water pollution.

If you take issue with the drain on non-renewable energy, that's been talked of elsewhere, many times.

If you take issue with the water pollution, I beleive your problem should be with the losers who ran the rig, not with drilling itself. Had everything been normal, this would never have happened. For obvious reasons, BP had failsafes in place, and had they been allowed to do their jobs, they would have drained the non-renewable energy and moved on. The rig blew up because the idiots who ran it ch33ted. They didn't want to deal with shutting down the rig for a few minutes to check the saftey valves, so they invented a process called Chart Spinning to shortcut the tests. Result - BOOM! Those guys should do time for everything from first degree murder to illegal dumping :yell:

@Austin: As I recall, BP brought in an outside company to handle the rigs. There's a lot of politics surrounding that event and those involved.

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The rig was rented. There are three companies BP, Transocean, and Haliburton. Transocean employees were over ruled by BP on safety procedures and the rig replaced drilling mud with seawater. MMS approved numerous short cuts including allowing drilling without a specific emergency plan, and changes to pipe that should have raised red flags. Transocean provided bp with a schematic of the blow out protector that did not match the protector. BP has repeatedly violated safety rules in their refineries, including violating court orders in texas city where other deaths have occurred. I agree criminal charges should be brought, but I doubt they will.

1 person likes this.
  10. doodwithacomputer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah. Thanks, I'll have to look into that.

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anyone with authority should be tacked to the wall... particularly at BP where malfeasance is simply SOP.

12. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It does no good to "go get more" of any type of energy, unless you are efficient and conservative with what you presently have. Using nuclear (fission) power to produce electricity is like using a chainsaw to cut butter - it is overkill and makes a mess. Efficiency and conservation are far more cost effective.

13. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So now it is official, 5 months, millions of barrels leaked, $9 billion spent and what have we learned?

How many watts of PV could we have installed with $9 billion? Do we still think that deep sea oil is cheap? Do we still think that drilling in harsh environments make economic sense? Do we still think the risk is worth the reward to us as a society?

14. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    NOAA says that PacMan gobbled all the oil.
    There is no longer any oil spill.
    So why do we need any safety measures if crude disappears after a month?
    Drill baby drill .There is no downside.
    You believe everything NOAA says ,like it was gospel.NOAA would never alter facts to fit a political agenda.
    But there are DENIERS who say theres a 70 mile blanket of crude on the ocean floor.

15. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Who would have thunk? No wonder the judgment against Exxon re: Exxon Valdez spill was reduced to a mere pittance. And all those people affected around the Prince William Sound were probably in some delusion when their town died along with all that wildlife.

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What town died?

17. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Cordova, Alaska. Perhaps not dead, but forever changed, and never recovered its herring production. This year (2010) Cordova opened shrimp fishing for the first time since 1989 (21 years later).

BBC News - Alaska town slowly heals after 1989 Exxon Valdez spill

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ changed yes, far from dead.

19. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ^ Tsk, you're right of course. Drill, baby, drill!!

20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ tisk, working on it.