1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drive line "bump"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by BZzap!, Mar 31, 2014.

1. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I notice when I put the car in Power Mode and take off from a standing start, I get a distinctive bumping sensation in the drive train. It almost feels like the flywheel dampener is bottoming. This happens when, less than a moderate throttle input. Is there anyone out there that has experienced this quirk.

2. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is the ICE running when you are stopped? When I start up, it is electric only while the ICE gets started and spools up. I can feel a bit of a "bump" when it starts adding power.

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It happens to mine at a dead stop without the ICE running. It just as you put the car under power. I perceive it to be the flywheel dampener. I'm just wondering if it is normal.

4. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you put it in power mode and floor it as I understand the system, The ice starts and you get full battery power at the same time. Hence the bump feeling when the ICE starts.
    I also believe that if you are behind a painted line you sometimes experience wheel slippage when moving over the painted line. There also may be an engagement of the anti slip feature which will be felt. ( This is the closest a Prius gets to laying rubber !!!):)