1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I wanted to write that, but pressed "send" before noticing it :D

What you are both describing is the "pulse & glide" (P&G) technique which has shown in Gen2 and Gen3 to achieve for most people the best gas mileage. You essentially reach a speed higher than what you need (say 55), reduce throttle to zero ("forcing" EV mode) and you glide with the HSI bar next to zero or so, down to 45 with the ICE off, and repeat. Average speed is 50, MPG goes up. Depending on traffic, it might be more or less possible doing it. And beyond the speed at which the MG2 cannot push the car by itself alone, or when the battery is not charged enough, it is simply not necessary to do it.

Another way to do it is "pulse & sail" but that required more battery that needs recharging but is more traffic friendly and you have a slightly higher average speed. The MPG is likely lower because the extra battery use needs to be covered by more fuel burnt in the ICE...

Only time and data from drivers will show whether the logic of the new HSD requires at all any of these techniques. What is clear to me on Gen4 is that you don't need to reduce throttle to zero to enter EV mode. The Gen4 will do that by itself without any "forcing" as long as the HSI bar enters the eco area and there is enough battery charge, which for Gen4 seems to be even 2 bars only (on Gen3 2 bars was essentially empty and 99% meant ICE on to recharge).

Considering also this comment, really the modes now are truly a way to adapt to the wishes of each driver in terms of response to how much they press the accelerator. Unless there are some other optimisations/changes that go beyond the A/C, which rightly said, now can be set independently of the mode (i.e. A/C "eco" in PWR mode - not possible in Gen3), and the "optimised response of the ICE depending on the dynamics of the car in PWR mode), the modes really now do change response of the pedal, and background color of the speedometer :)

PS: I still never drove in PWR mode since getting the car. The response is simply too much for city traffic here to be of any use and I need to fine tune my foot so much it is annoying - ECO mode works best for me exactly for this reason and to crawl in traffic jams.
    PWR mode in Gen3 was used on highway driving for the necessary response (I mean, you are *chased* by cars here at 150km/h or more...!) without the need to push too much on the gas ;)

2. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with the gas mileage. Mine has stayed consistent (so far.) I don't know how to describe it, so I just say the car feels much "lighter" and responsive in the Power mode. Like 'Lectro says, it changes the whole car. (Or maybe I'm just imagining it??? :)) The pedal is definitely more touchy and sensitive, but it only took a few minutes to get accustomed to it.

I'm not a real "technical" guy. In fact, I might even be the wrong kind of person to own a hybrid? With all due respect, I just want to get in my Prius, turn on the cool air of the AC, find some nice music on the radio, and simply drive it... Just drive it and enjoy it! I don't want to concern myself (too much) with all the technical and engineering aspects of my car; Or to be always watching, and overly concentrating on all the "Eco" indicator displays/gauges. (I'm a rookie. I become distracted by that stuff and take my eyes off the road!)

So, if I only end up with averaging 55 mpg, instead of 78... I'm still happy! My Prius is a great car.

--Respectfully submitted by a former 20 year Camry owner. :LOL: Just get in it, and drive...

'LectroFuel likes this.
  3. Frolix

Frolix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find ACC to be annoying in normal or power.

Regarding "pulse and glide" or "pulse and sail", it is interesting to note that the ACC does that in stop and go traffic when you hit resume or touch the pedal lightly to get going again.
    Maybe it's random, or maybe it's indeed the best way to get high MPG.

4. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I cannot really use ACC in city traffic here - too many bends and too many changes of speed - I have to take more care of what is happening with the ACC on as when it is off, as I don't have to take care how *my* car is behaving, on top of everything else :) It works well on the highway though ;)
    Regarding the drive modes, and the HSI and the score.... I use it now to learn more or less how it works - then like on Gen3, in the end I stopped looking at them all and focused more on predicting traffic and driving smoothly. I want to enjoy the car and driving it, not be worried of how to drive it in this or that way to achieve a minor MPG improvement - I already get very good mileage anyway :)

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  5. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm definitely becoming a PWR convert.

I noticed this morning, that the gas engine doesn't stay on any longer than when I drive in the other modes. I still get plenty of EV time.

And better yet, the Air Conditioning seems to get colder when I'm in PWR, and it seems more powerful. I'm all for that! (The next you know, the stereo will start sounding better! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

PriUncut likes this.
  6. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sure the tires are quieter in the PWR mode too.

7. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Air Conditioning shouldn't vary with PWR or ECO in the GEN IV. (ECO did influence AC in GEN
    If only...

8. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The only time I use the air conditioning is when I am on the phone and need to suppress the outside world sounds. Otherwise I am a roll-down-the-windows guy.

9. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ditto. Mine's always in manual mode.

10. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    By default, it does disable ECO Heat/Cool in Normal and PWR. (IIRC, S-Flow gets disabled too.) However, you can turn those back on.

11. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I enjoy the fresh air, too. But all the wind/traffic noise bothers my old ears. Not to mention all the dust coming in the car. (I would have to grab my "Swiffer" every 5 minutes! :LOL:)

I never have the AC function in the "Auto" mode. Just manual, so I can adjust the fan speed myself.

And I never have the AC in the "Eco" mode... just regular, normal setting.

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but everything seems to perform better when I'm driving in the PWR mode. It's like the car has been "unleashed"... everything feels lighter, more agile, more responsive... Even my radio audio sounds better, and my headlights are brighter, and even the nice Navigation lady now seems more cheerful!!! :cool: (y) :D

(You believe all that??? ;))

#71 Coast Cruiser, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
  12. Frolix

Frolix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Took me a while to understand... ACC = active cruise control, not air-conditioning.

Oh definitely, but stop and go traffic is unfortunately also the norm on the highway...

#72 Frolix, Jul 7, 2016
    KrPtNk and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The ECO A/C automatically turns on in my car when the ECO driving mode is selected. One of the reasons like like PWR.

14. Frolix

Frolix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reminded me of this...
    [​IMG]

Thanks to the system diagnostic menu we now know that eco mode puts out 512v.
    I'll try to activate power mode tomorrow in that menu and see if it changes something.

#74 Frolix, Jul 7, 2016
    'LectroFuel likes this.