1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drive the Leaf across the country?

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by LakePrius, Apr 28, 2010.

1. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The range at 20 mph constant speed will be like 170 miles. Not sure why that's a bad thing. The only thing bad is that you have to drive a constant 20 mph.

You missed my post saying that the Leaf has a much higher frontal area than the Tesla. The two factors should just about cancel each other out.

It's very close to the same size as the Prius.

2. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nissan went the La4 route which is a avg speed of ~35mph. Tesla went for an avg speed of 55 mph. The % gained from lower speed for the Nissan Leaf is a lot less than a roadster (35 to 20 vs 55 to 20) I would suppose that in might only be 110 miles. I can't see 15mph almost doubling the range.

I thought the CD factors in all points of drag which would include the frontal area.

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The numbers I am talking about are CONSTANT speed ranges. The average just happens to be the same because the scenarios I am talking about do not have any change in speed.

The Tesla EPA numbers, city, highway, and combined are all around 240 miles range on a full charge. The city EPA numbers are the same LA4 test procedure that the Leaf is rated on. In other words, under the same LA4 test at an average speed of 35mph, the Tesla also has a ~240 mile range. Yet, at a constant speed of 35mph, the Tesla will go over 325 miles!

No. The total drag is a factor of frontal area, CD and speed. Frontal area and CD affect drag linearly (double either and you double drag). Speed affects drag by it's square, so it's effect is exponential.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know nothing about theory. I just know the numbers I got while driving the electric Porsche. But I never tested it at a constant 20 mph. I tested it on surface roads, both in and out of town, driving the speed limit and accelerating normally, and I tested it on the freeway at 55 to 60 and at 60 to 65 and at 65 to 70. (I cannot keep the speed absolutely constant, since removing the engine took out the cruise control.) All I've got are real-life numbers for my car. I expect the leaf to be more efficient.

Before the end of this year, if I am really lucky, I'll have it back, better than ever, and will repeat the tests, since it will have a new, bigger, and better controller. And the off-center motor mount, that was causing the motor to vibrate itself to death, will be replaced with one that is true.

5. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Found this EV charging network "ChargePoint", click on this link and you can plan your cross country trip, using these charge points... There is also a way to suggest new locations to them as well. There is already a company in commercial business to do this, it turns out. The venue where the charger is located sets the price for using the charger, they are free until July of 2010

ChargePoint Network-Fueling the Electric Transportation Industry

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sadly the vast majority of the ChargePoints seem to be 120v/16A level 1 chargers that take about a day to charge.

They claim to sell 240v/32A Level 2 chargers that would usefully charge a car in 8 hours, but very few are deployed according to their map.

7. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That is true as of today, however there are basicly no EVs equiped with the J-1772 connectors at this time. Once more are deployed, I'm sure more level 2 charge locations will pop up. I would still sign up, as it's another resource to have available for any future EV owner. I am glad to see they are already working on this.

Setting up an account is free, to get either the keyfob RFID or the wallet version is 9.95, not bad to have access to any of those charge spots, and you can suggest locations to them as well. As of July 2010 they may no longer be "free", the venue they are installed in will be able to set the price fir using it, which may be very minimal, since it's a convienence for their customers...

8. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Would it be considered cheating, or merely politically incorrect, to
    make the cross country trek using a RV chase vehicle? Carefully
    arranged,you should be able to get in two charge/dicharge cycles
    in 24 hours: two 4 hour driving periods and two 8 hour recharging
    cycles.

That way you could stop where ever the day's runs found you and
    rest/sleep, eat, recreate, update your blog, twitter, facebook, etc.
    Meanwhile the Leaf would be recharging from the generator on the
    RV.

Come to think of it, would a metal fabricator's support truck with a
    welder/generator provide 220/440V power?

However, the overnight accommodations wouldn't be nearly as comfy.

9. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    WOW!! What route and how often did you need to stop to recharge?

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most hikers who do this use the Pacific Crest Trail, though it isn't the only route.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We walked the Pacific Crest Trail. (although the route has changed since, and we spent some time 'lost' (off the route as it existed then))
    By choice, we mailed ourselves food every 4 days, in practice the longest scheduled run was 11 days. We only missed one food drop, and had no additional food for 4 days.

Jess walked with us from Campo CA to Palmdale, CA
    Joel walked with us from Agua Caliente CA to the Hat Creek Rim CA
    I walked from Campo to Mt Adams, WA
    John walked from Campo to Stevens Pass, WA.

As for stopping, we were committed to a family reunion, so took a week off at Castle Crags, CA where the trail crosses I-5.

1 person likes this.
  12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh man. Now THAT was a much-needed laugh this evening. Thanks guys! :D

13. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The first cross country trip was good PR, because EVs did not exist for the market. Any cross country trip now with the Leaf that takes 30+ days, just points out the short comings of an EV just as they are coming to market.

Better PR would be finding someone with 80 (or 100) mile RT commute and showing that for even extreme commute it works. Or find an apartment dweller with a 10 mile RT commute who only plugs in once a week.

PR at this point needs to highlight what works, not what doesn't work.

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well listen... this is EXACTLY what has been done to demonstrate how great fuel cell cars are. They drive them acoss the country or from one end of CA to the other.... and the car is followed by a tanker truck with H2 in it, and a small floatilla of support SUVs. Nice.