1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driveline chatter

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by zylona, Dec 11, 2011.

1. zylona

zylona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'm new to Prius V ownership. Just bought it a month ago. I do have a question regarding what I can best describe as driveline chatter. It seems that when I slow down to a point where the EV mode takes over and then speed up again, the Prius will chatter as it makes the transition from electric to gas. Is this a normal thing for a Prius to do. It goes away after the pedal is further depressed and doesn't last for long. It seems just at the transition from EV to ECO (engine) mode.

2. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The V is my 4th Prius. Occasionally in all 4 I've heard what I think you are talking about. It's the very occasional noise and vibration as the gas engine either turns on or off. I either stopped noticing it after a while or it stopped happening.

The other noise or vibration unique to the Prius is as you are slowing around 8 MPH the brakes will switch from regenerative to disk. There is also a slightly different feel after this has happened. Over time this also seemed to diminish.

If it is still noticeable and bothers you definitely bring it up when you bring your car in for the first service.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it different than the one you test drove?

4. zylona

zylona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I bought the one I tets drove so I have nothing to compare it to.

It isn't a noise, it is an actual vibration through the car kind of like the car is riding over a ribbed roadway. It never does it going from gas to electric but does do it from electric to gas. Goes away once the gas engine has taken over. Sure I could just push down harder on the gas pedal and that may stop it but I was interested to know if they all do it or just the ones that need to be tended to by the service department. I guess my best course of action is to ask the service department.

5. toyofixer

toyofixer Toyota Tech

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mine does this too and so does every other one I have driven. Not everyone will notice it because as you said if you give it a little more on the gas pedal you wont feel it. If you take it to the service department they should be able to take you for a drive in a new from the lot v to make sure what you are feeling is normal. Where I work we do this all of the time. On the flip side if it is not normal the tech will know exactly what you are feeling.

6. monkey28

monkey28 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Same thing happened to me, but I think is normal. If there is something wrong, the computer would smart enough to pick it up.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 3rd gen 2011 is extremely smooth as in, there is no shudder in driveline when gas engine comes in or goes out. I can feel a little bit of 'coupling' or engagement, but nothing close to a shudder.

8. Max butcher

Max butcher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 3rd Gen has 234,000 and has just started doing this "shudder" action. Drives you crazy. Just spent $90 at the dealer to have them say you would have to spend $10,000 in "research parts swaps" to fix it. Car isn't worth it. Sad. I havent' decided what to do with it. the dealer says it won't stop the car from running. The high # of miles turns the car into a $1500 trade in value on a Cruz. Seems like it's just "Grin and Bear it time" I wonder how bad it will get.