1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver assistance features, radar cruise, lane keep, etc.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mkarolian, Aug 10, 2017.

1. mkarolian

mkarolian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The incentives on the Prime are really catching my attention, here in Mass we get $1,500 back from the state on top of the $4,500 federal rebate. We are current Gen III Prius owners which means we also qualify for the $750 loyalty cash.

One big reason to upgrade in my mind would be for access to the advanced driver assistance features. We do a fair amount of city driving (about 14-20 miles around Boston) and ALSO do lots of long distance travel (250 - 350 miles) around New England. I think radar cruise and lane keeping would reduce fatigue while also allowing us to use mostly EV while in town.

In your experience, how well do the these features work? In my BMW i3 the dynamic cruise control was very hit-and-miss, but I think that might have been because it was solely based on a single camera as opposed to radar.

Thoughts?

2. Alan Winston

Alan Winston Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't answer, but I was literally in the middle of drafting a very, very similar inquiry when this popped up as a notification.

If I am allowed to expand on the question, I would love to see pri-pri, especially pri-pri Advanced, driver assist features compared to Chevy Volt Premier - and if there are any plug-in hybrid not too far out of the price range.

Reducing mental fatigue in long trips is also a priority for me, but also reducing overload and surprises in local errand driving. I've driven safely for over fifty years, but have been losing confidence lately, for a variety of reasons, and am ready for some additional assistance.

My wife's car went OOS, not worth repairs, a couple of weeks ago. She took over mine, while I drive a borrowed car, which I rather like, but makes obvious that manual-transmission is no longer a good choice for me. That led me to thinking going the other direction would be a worth considering, and the household finance & accounting office is nudging me along.

#2 Alan Winston, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I can tell you that if you read a lot of other threads on here, LKAS doesn't exist on the Prius - it has Lane Departure Warning, but no Steer Assist, that works in any serious way.... BUT it does have Automatic Braking, although someone on here in the thread "Totaled Prime" says they hit a WILD BOAR and the safety features didn't work as expected... oh and on the Advanced Model, you get BSM - Blind Spot Monitoring and also Cross-Traffic Alert!

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The cruise control is great, you stay back a set distance and it's very reliable, the lane departure warning is bothersome and noisy, I leave it off, with the cruise control I find cars following tend to drift back and not tailgate as much, because I'm not tailgating, yes tailgaters are gonna tailgate, but they get to pass if they want...

blueterp likes this.
  5. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The lane keeping is more of a hazard than a safety feature.

The cruise control is ok, but I live in an area with a lot of traffic and the freeways have curves. Both of which are quite problematic for the car.

Automatic braking can be annoying if you’re an aggressive driver but that’s the one safety feature I’m happy about.

6. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm also happy for the auto-braking - it's insulated me from a sudden rear end collision and stopped lots of little bumps trying to park with limited sight lines. Also, the bright headlights and high beam assist have been wonderful aids to night driving compared to my 2009 Prius. I also like the blind side monitoring.

I've never used cruise control in any car I've owned so can't comment about that.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Gen 3 with DRCC and it works well for long distance driving. DRCC has been improved for Gen 4/Prime.

• DRCC acceleration is now based on the mode you're in (ECO, normal/PWR). It accelerates more slowly in ECO and more rapidly in normal/PWR)
    • DRCC in the Prime now works down to 0mph so if you're on the highway and every slows to a crawl, it'll just keep trekking along. If traffic is bad enough that you come to a stop, the Prime will come to a stop. You have to push RES on the CC stalk or tap the accelerator when the car in front of you starts moving again.

TSS-P uses Lane Departure Alert w/ Steering Assist. It's kinda like a halfway point between the passive LDA/LDW which simply warns you (either with beeps, vibrating seat or vibrating steering wheel) and the fully active Lane Keep Assist that actively controls the steering wheel to keep you centred in the lane.

LDA w/ SA on the Prime will alert you with beeps and a flashing bar on the 4.2" MID to indicate the side of the car you're crossing over (left or right) and if necessary, it will nudge you back to your lane (but it will not centre you back in the lane. It's just nudge or push back).

The Prime comes with Pre-Collision system w/ Pedestrian Detection. PCS includes several functions - Pre-Collision Brake Assist, Pre-Collision Braking and Pre-Collision Seatbelts

PCS Brake Assist
    • When a collision is possible, it will prime the brakes by bringing them close to the discs, ready to squeeze when you press the brake pedal, reducing the reaction time (every millisecond counts)
    • When you apply the brakes, it will assist in providing greater braking force (if you aren't braking hard enough)
    • Works between 19mph and 110mph (and the relative speed between you and the vehicle or pedestrian is 7mph or more)
    PCS Braking
    • If a collision is highly likely and you haven't responded to the warnings, the car will automatically apply the brakes to stop the car or reduce the impact speed
    • Works between 7mph and 110mph (and the relative speed between you and the vehicle or pedestrian is 7mph or more)
    • For pedestrian detection, it works between 7mph and 50mph
    PCS Seatbelts
    • An electric motor will retract the front seat belts (In either of the above scenario) to minimise the forward movement of your body. (reduce the risk of hitting your face on the airbag for example) and also ensures you're properly seated if you need to make an emergency manoeuvre. (Normally, you would move forward a bit before the ALR locks the seatbelt in place)

The pedestrian detection part only detects single pedestrians (e.g. someone walking out in between two cars or in front of a large car and into your path). It may not work if there's a group of pedestrians (among other limitations).

PCS works up to approximately 25mph in terms of vehicle avoidance. Above that, you may hit the vehicle but the speed of impact will be reduced. For pedestrian detection, it works up to approximately 19mph for avoidance, above that, you may unfortunately, make contact with the object.

Other available driver assistance features

Blind Spot Monitor
    • radar mounted behind the rear bumper, facing sideways
    • solid amber indicator on the mirror when active
    • blinking amber indicator when indicators/turn signal activated and the system detects a vehicle (there's no audible alert)

Rear Cross Traffic Alert
    • Same radar mounted behind the rear bumper as BSM above
    • Active when shifter is in Reverse
    • Detects oncoming vehicles approaching approximately 90° to the vehicle.
    • May have issues if the road is curved (either in the horizontal or vertical plane)
    • Both audible and visual alerts (visual: it'll blink the BSM indicator on the side that the vehicle is coming from)
    • Approaching vehicle is travelling between 5mph and 18mph
    • Will not detect small motorcycles, pedestrians or bicycles
    • Doesn't auto-brake

Intelligent Clearance Sonar
    • 12 ultrasonic sensors mounted around the vehicle
    • Meant for low speed collision avoidance (e.g. wall, recycling bin, unintended acceleration)
    • It will auto-brake if you are travelling at a low speed and fail to depress the brake pedal and the ICS detected an object
    • It'll auto-brake if you're travelling slowly and suddenly accelerate hard towards an object that ICS detected.
    • Works in Drive or Reverse
    • Includes visual representation on the 4.2" MID in terms of bars (less bars = closer the object is)
    • Includes audible alert - the more rapidly the beeps, the closer the object
    • Vehicle speed is less than 10mph
    • Object is 6-13 feet away

Simple Intelligent Parking Assist
    • Assists in parking the vehicle in parallel parking and reverse (back-in) parking on both sides of the vehicle
    • Assists in exiting a parallel parking spot
    • Works in conjunction with ICS

#7 Tideland Prius, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should start a private conversation with bob wilson, he has both prime and i-3. or just read his threads, he covers everything in great detail.

'LectroFuel and NJ-PrimeAdvanced like this.
  9. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    He is a retired engineer.

10. KCWhitney

KCWhitney Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I find the radar cruise control works well, except on more congested roads. It is just doesn't stay close enough to the car ahead for me.

FlossEmOften likes this.
  11. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    That's a matter of opinion. I like the distance.

But sadly, you are correct. Most people behind me cannot stand the distance, and in some cases induce bad behavior.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  12. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do folks have any experience how the distance that the Toyota sets in its ACC (radar cruise) compares to other manfuacturers ACC, eg Honda?

13. Krzysiek_KTA

Krzysiek_KTA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here are my 5 cents:
    The most useful features in Prime Advanced (in my subjective order):

1. DRCC - well worth despite its limitations,
    2. Rear cross traffic alert - fantastic feature - it even detects pedestrians crossing behind the car (despite manual says otherwise)
    3. Intelligent clearance sonar - very useful, but need to be disabled if anything is mounted on the hitch if installed (e.g. bike rack in my case)
    4. BSM - nice to have, but can by fully surpassed by proper convex mirror insert
    5. LDA w/SA - it is functionally just warning system as Tideland Prius described,
    6. Simple Intelligent Parking Assist - haven't tried that yet (and don't think I will ever try)

14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    DRCC is a driver assist feature, and it works if you use it as intended. I drove 120 miles on partly congested highways without disengaging it once. Very nice.

All the other features are safety features, not driver assist features. Lane departure alert and sway warning basically tell you that you aren't paying attention (or are asleep). Steering assist just gives you a little extra time to get alert again after LDA or sway goes off. And it does work exactly as they describe.

15. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Does anyone know how the DRCC on the latest Honda cars compare to what we have in the Prime? Driving 120 miles on that system alone is pretty sweet - do other manufacturers have similar high quality implementation or is Toyota ahead here?

16. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I've read from many websites, Honda's Adaptive Cruise is not as good as Toyota. Toyota has one of the best systems from the mainstream brands, especially because of the full stop function. The Honda's system is prone to being jerky and glitchy. Toyota's is smooth from my experience, but it's no substitute for driving. My one complaint for my Prius' DRCC is that it is not aggressive enough, even in PWR mode. It maximizes MPGs more than I'd like.

Honda does have a better lane keep assist. It pretty much drives itself on a straight or slightly curved road. The LDA in the gen 4/Prime is pretty pathetic/glitchy/almost useless, unfortunately:(. The gen 3 had a better, more aggressive system.

#16 'LectroFuel, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  17. Alan Winston

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lacking in the "steering assist" or in the warnings? I'm not looking for lane-holding, but I would really like an effective and early wake up call if i am drifting - it's time to exit the freeway, exit the vehicle, and re-evaluate priorities of schedule vis-à-vis safety.

18. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's really great at that.

alexcue and KCWhitney like this.
  19. Alan Winston

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, that's good to know. The carmakers have got to be concerned about people treating lane-holding as if it were fully automated driving, ala the well-publicized Tesla incident. I think I'd rather not have lane-holding myself unless it clearly accompanied by warnings. Stick-shaker kind of stuff.

Lee Jay likes this.
  20. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a 2010 V equipped with dynamic cruise and LKA. I now have a 2013 3 and really miss those features. They worked really well, and the LKA did turn the steering wheel back into lane. The automatic park long worked well, but it was more of a,toy. I really miss the LED headlights.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

ttait likes this.